For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Soggy Moggy - Finished!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by Squishy, Mar 7, 2017.

1. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

Yea Squishy You took it there!! Now you will have to get to your seat I know you know the way;)lollollol
    And yes I too like your style of painting:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Squishy likes this.
  2. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Iiiiiiiiiiin the red corner *theme tune from Rocky blasts out* he literally has the 'eye of the tiger' , the kitty that keeps it gritty, floating like a swimming cat, and stinging like a fanged beast...... the "Soggggggy Moggggy"!!!!!

Iiiiiiiiiin the blue corner *the birdy song rings out* the original angry bird, floats like an anvil, stings like a feather. Flapping her wings like a demented chicken......... "Wing it Woman"!!!!

Ding Ding! Seconds out. Round 2 !

So with a little unexpected time, I can.....stare aimlessly and wonder what to do next. The water in the front of the picture, is more of the same, with some much smaller and finer ripples next to the face. some created by leaving the white, and some erased. But as I get to the water at the back of the painting the lonely brain cell coughs and splutters and goes into overload. Firstly, I have issues with doing more out of focus stuff. I always want to overwork it, tighten it up etc. I like sharp detail, and so to keep it loose (steady now, no comments about loose women!) is a bit alien to me, and I find it difficult. This isn't too out of focus so I should be ok. The next challenge is how the water meets the body of the Tigger. It actually overlaps it a little, the water line goes onto the back slightly, while the body can be seen a little below it. The brain cell is devoting so much time to this that other body functions have stopped, and so, when my face turns blue, and I need to breathe again, I quickly decide to try and fade the edge of the water into the area of the tiger, and will later add a waterline after painting the back of the tiger, so that the tiger colour doesn't get muddy. I can blend the body and the water around the cat together to hopefully get the look I want. Sounds like some sort of a plan. *Huuuuuuuge gasp of air*.....and breathe lol lol lol.

WP_20170302_20_54_08_Pro (1024x575).jpg

The dark blobby areas, are kind of flat bits of water. They are actually quite well defined in the ref, even though the focus is a bit soft, and I think I have it right, not too sharp. The area against the body is kind of feathered out, to blend in later. Some of the white has been preserved, and a soft eraser has started to put in some dappled texture. This is something I will come back to later. So at the end of round two - points are even. Soggy moggy hasn't KO'd me yet lol. (the stumbling around, out of focus eyes, and gormless expression is normal)
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    MeeshellMP, musicmacd, doc1 and 3 others like this.
  3. JackEb

JackEb Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

this thread is worth bookmarking for the comic relief alone. Your wordplay is as high a standard as your painting.
    This is the image I have in my head !!

upload_2017-3-10_8-21-36.png

You've got this tiger by his tail........ aint no way this tiger can win now
    MeeshellMP, musicmacd and Squishy like this.
  4. basepaint

Rocking it to the correct theme too!:):cool:
    Squishy likes this.
  5. Squishy

Lol, Jackster. Looks like I need a breath mint in that pic lol.
    JackEb likes this.
  6. JackEb

More than one way to beat a soggy moggy
    Squishy likes this.
  7. Squishy

So are we sitting comfortably? Ready for a little more???............No? ........... Me either. lol. This is the part where the sensible people, will have made holes in cards, and spent quality time with their paints, spraying, adjusting and perfectly blending colour until it matches what is in their ref, and will now grab their ready made colour. Me........ 1 - I am not sensible, 2- I am too impatient, 3 - I am lazy, 4 - I can''t be arsed, 5 - ......... Wait! What is that?.......

Is it a bird? (only if its an old crotchety one) Is it a plane? (If it is, it's gonna take more than a jet to that off the ground) No! It's.....*Cue what sounds suspiciously like Wonder Woman music, but for the purposes of this is completely different and not similar at all).....Wing it Woman!!!! Standing there in all her sparkly suited glory. The spandex straining to contain the rippling places where the muscles should be, knee high boots containing her fetid trotters, mustache very nearly fully shaved - striking a pose, with bingo wings gently blowing in the breeze. She swirls her airbrush hose of truth and says in her best super hero voice "Close enough, is good enough"

Actually that was just me, and the voice was surprisingly deep - was that adams apple always there????? It would explain the mustache. So, ignoring that worrying thought, I mix some green.
    WP_20170302_21_45_56_Pro (1024x575).jpg
    Just a case of colouring in the areas that need green, the shading has been done the layer before. At the end when I am balancing the contrast I may come back in and darken a couple of areas. I guess sensible folk will have the exact right colour already, but for now, you guessed it, that'll do. It's pretty close. Then, the same with some more of the blue. Just colouring in the agitated water at the front, and adding a hint at the back. I also added (hard to see in places) some gentle erasing, to give myself some visual clues for when I come back to this area later.

Then onto the kitty's back.
    WP_20170305_16_20_44_Pro (575x1024).jpg
    Ok, so no idea why the pic came out that strange shape,lol, but hey ho. Starting with an orangy colour with a touch of brown in it (that'll do), I build up the back, some areas getting more layers than others, making the colour a bit uneven to try and get that soft focus look that I struggle with. Areas at the edge of the water are erased back a bit in where the water will overlap the fur, then the black stripes added, again trying not to be too precise to keep it soft looking. It feels so wrong to deliberately try and make it look a bit messy, but I stop myself from tidying it up. Hopefully the contrast when the face goes in will make it look better, at the moment I'm not happy, but if needed I can always revisit later. A little more erasing in the middle and sides of the body as there is some spangly, fuzzy water droplettly kind of areas.

And that's it for this installment of "Really! You did what now?" Tune in next time for another episode entitled "Oh. Yes. You did." :D
  8. Squishy

As I'm cranially challenged and this isn't complete yet, I have moved it from SBS to WIP. Doh!
  9. basepaint

Looking like your enjoying yourself on this one!:D
    Squishy likes this.
  10. Squishy

So far lol. Just going with the flow. We'll see what that looks like at the end lol.
    basepaint likes this.
  11. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

So funny!!! Bingo wings!!! :cry::cry::cry:
    Squishy likes this.
  12. Squishy

Ok people, Wing it woman is facing her kryptonite. My arch nemesis Professor Longsleeve has arrived to encase the bingo wings in tubes of super evil cloth. Children all over the world stop barfing up their cornflakes, mothers heave sighs of relief, while fathers stop repeating "My eyes! My eyes" while clawing at their own face as they try to unsee the sight of the bingo wings rippling like a fluttering flag. A national holiday is declared in celebration, and everyone adopts Irish dancing, so that the arms stay down and the horror is not revisited. But my proud shoulders slump (due to the weight of the amount of cloth dragging those bad boys down) as I realise that all my ABing powers have now been nuetralised, and I stare at the white, head shaped space in despair.

Ok, ok, despair is a bit of an exaggeration. But I can't proceed as I usually would. If I was painting this on a bike tank etc, it would most likely be a dark background, and I would paint in the hairs using a bazillion dagger strokes, and preserving the dark base for my dark areas and shadows. I actually considered painting the head black and giving me a silhouette to work from, but, I knew this was going to be an erasing job from the start and decided against it. I've done this twice before and it looked a bit crude, time to step it up, wing power or not. So I load up some black. Usually I wouldn't use this straight off, but in this case I wanted that contrast. It's the darkest part of the pic, so I know there's no danger of going too dark, and I won't lose any detail trying to darken it up later.

WP_20170305_18_43_45_Pro.jpg
    So first off the dark areas around the eyes, with wisps suggesting which way the fur will go, then the stripes. Rather than dagger strokes, as the lines would literally be mm's long I just basically did zigzag lines, simples, and gives the look I wanted.

WP_20170307_16_49_07_Pro (1024x575).jpg
    Then it's time for the nose, and top of the mouth. The lonely brain cell can handle this, nothing too taxing, just making sure the highlights are where they should be, some subtle shading, and lots of stroking of the eclipse who sometimes doesn't like playing with black, but is being very co-operative. The just a few splats of shading to remind me where the darkest areas are meant to be. Then it's scalpel time - yes I am apparently allowed near sharp objects, although to be fair, I probably shouldn't be. No passers by were murdered in the creation of this painting, slight maiming and dismemberment is ok though right?......:whistling:

WP_20170307_18_19_45_Pro (1024x575).jpg
    So I have a pointy blade and a roundy blade. (official technical names) Starting with the tips of the ears and the pointy blade I scratch in the finest hairs, scratching a few, spraying a little and repeating, then larger strokes for the hair inside the ears, finally swapping to the roundy blade for the longer, thicker hairs. Then going back in with over reduced black to re-establish some shadows where needed. Boom! ears done. They look a little stark, but when the rest of the face is done they "should" blend in. :p

WP_20170313_16_44_27_Pro (1024x575).jpg
    I roughly sprayed in some lines to keep me going in the right direction, and then it's more of the same on the face with the roundy blade, and starting from the outside and moving towards the middle so that the hairs overlap, and although they have to go in a certain direction, very slightly changing each one so that it doesn't look too perfect - not that there's any danger of that happening with me anyway lol lol lol.

So that's todays installment of "Scratching? I might as well be scratching my arse". Next time we shall be exploring the uses of matchsticks - for holding up the eyelids of those wondering how they can look at any more of this crap, without falling into some sort of a coma. (Disclaimer - Matchsticks should not be placed into human orifices of any kind, please use them appropriately. However before setting fire to any properties, double check the insurance first.)
    jord001, musicmacd, jsymac and 5 others like this.
  13. JackEb

one foot in front of the other and you are getting there oh winged wonder woman. the scratching is paying off, although if you keep the scratching up too long I'm taking you and the dragons to the vets for a flea check up !

you don't need matchsticks to keep the eyelids open, put Ember and the boys behind you with a clown picture stuck to your back, I'm sure you've finished their 'all clowns must die' (except friendly OAF clowns of course) training. You'll be creating wonderful textural effects without even trying :)
    basepaint and Squishy like this.
  14. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Mod

Me lovez!!!
    Squishy likes this.
  15. GregStith

GregStith Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Thanks for such a detailed SBS. Definitely helpful! :thumbsup:
    Squishy likes this.
  16. Squishy

@JackEb Hah, clown destroying training NEVER ends! Those blighters are always popping up when you least expect them, and they get wise, so new methods must be devised. Basepaint and his nearest and dearest, will one day have no competition, but until that day, dragon training continues :D

Aw, fanks @MeeshellMP

@GregStith Thanks Greg. By the end you'll know what not to do lol.
    MeeshellMP, GregStith and basepaint like this.
  17. basepaint

Boy I hope I'm one of the Clowns Jackie call's an OAF!:D:D:D:D:D I don't need a fire burning my arse!
    MeeshellMP likes this.
  18. JackEb

Geeze @basepaint . . . . . OAF = Orange Airbrush Forum.......... did you miss that memo !? :eek:
    musicmacd and doc1 like this.
  19. basepaint

yep! lol
    Squishy likes this.
  20. CHÉRIE

CHÉRIE Gravity Guru

It's looking really cool :D
    Squishy likes this.