For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Soggy Moggy - Finished!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by Squishy, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod Artist of the Month!

Thanks Cherie :)
    CHÉRIE likes this.
  2. Squishy

Da Da Daaah Da....Da Da Dada daaaaah.....It's the final countdown! Yeah baby, lets put the pedal to the metal, hit overdrive and crank this mutha flipper out! .....Or something along those lines. What that actually translates to, if you're not 'down with the kidz' like me, is lets see if we can at least go out with a whimper if not a bang lol. Though I can 100% guarantee some lycra based 80's big hair metal bands will be rocking out over the airwaves, while I perfect my microphone technique using the airbrush in place of a hairbrush, do some very serious faced dramatic air grabs, and lay down some facemelting killer air guitar riffs. I'm not quite sure how it will affect the painting, but should you intend to incorperate this technique as part of your own airbrush regime, (and why wouldn't you?) I suggest avoiding windmills in your air guitar routine. Without a lid on, paint can get into some funny places, and the airhose getting wrapped around your neck could lead to some awkward questions - especially if you're lubing your brush at the same time :eek:. If you go the whole hog and break out the lycra luminous patterned bodysuit or leggings, beware of chafing.

So time to kiss the lucky bingo wings, and crack on.

WP_20170314_17_30_07_Pro (1024x575).jpg
    So the top of the nose looks almost like dots, but not quite. I first went in and got some texture with some fine scribbling for want of a better word, then soft erased for lighter areas. Then went back in and basically sprayed some dark dots where the skin shows through in places, then a bit more shading, and then some hard erasing on the top layer in very short strokes. The fine hair near the top of the nose is put in with the pointy scalpel blade. It looks a bit harsh, but I'm figuring the colour will knock it back a bit, so have exaggerated it a little. Then it's just building up the longer hairs, being careful not to go into the water line. Phew time to put away that lotion from the docs, that itch has been scratched!

Unfortunately I think that lotion may have contained a substance that confused my lonely brain cell, maybe I wasn't supposed to drink it? Anyway the long and short of it is, this is when I got carried away and forgot to take photos of the colouring stage :rolleyes::toesies::oops:. If you wish to slap me, please form an orderly queue and get in line. You may have to wait a while, there are many others I annoy on a daily basis - it's a gift I have lol. So I will just have to talk you through it. Not that it's anything very special, literally just a case of colouring in. My trusty super hero alter ego kicked in and knocked up a near enough pinkish colour for the nose, not much to do except preserve some subtle highlights, the shading is already there, and as I'm using Wicked Detail paints, shows through. Next the eyes. They are a very washed out subtle colour and there is very little in the way of detail, which is a shame as I enjoy painting eyes. There is a little in there, though the photo doesn't pick it up, but its really hard to see anyway as they are only about 3/4 cm big, a subtle hint of a shadow on the top 1/4 of the eye pushes them back into the tigers head a little. Hard to see, but without it they look more on the face, rather than in it. Then its the orangy colour again, it's practically almost possibly the same as I mixed before so "that'll do" lol. I put down a light layer especially towards the edges, then build up in some areas before adding some brown to build up the darker areas. Surprisingly enough, it kind of looks like a......Tiger??? How the hell did that happen lol lol lol. Now I can look at the pic as a whole I can go back to the water behind the puddy tat, and work in the watery highlights a bit more. I saved this til last because I thought I could balance it out better having the sharper focus of the cat in front, to stop me trying to overwork it. Can't say I feel a lot more confident with the out of focus stuff, but it seems to be working somewhat. You know what? Call me Betty and slap me in the face with a wet kipper - I think we're don..........Whoa there neddy, apply the brakes, slooooow doooown, 180 yo ass.......you've only gone and forgotten the frickin whiskers :eek::eek::eek::eek:. So lets correct that slight oversight and quickly scritch them in, then blend in the bases of each one as they start out darker where they come out of the face. Ok, deep breath .......now we are done! And it kinda looks something like this:-

SAM_2122 (1024x858).jpg

My usual crappy level of photography, but you get the idea. So - things I'm not happy with - the waterline on his back kinda stumped me, there's no highlight in the ref or edge as such, you can just tell there's a waterline, but replicating it hasn't come off as well as I'd like - I think because it's soft focus I can get away with it, but it's something I'd like to work on again one day, as well as work on the out of focus look in general. Things I am happy with - I think I reached my goal. I wanted a realish look, and I didn't want to spend a lot of time colour matching, but just use instinct and what seemed right. Colour theory bends the lonely cell that acts as my brain, but that doesn't mean you can't use colour and make it work in some way - even if it's not the right way lol. For portraits and skin tones I guess you need to be pretty precise, but for other things Wing-it Woman saves the day.

Hope this is helpful to someone, and that my warty warts and all approach didn't spoil the final outcome too much. Thanks for reading through my ramblings :love:.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    jord001, Diegojavbau, Macchi and 13 others like this.
  3. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Wing-it woman for the win !
    I love reading your posts, you always give me a chuckle LOL, You write the same way I do.... its what you would say if someone was standing in front of you, which makes it so easy to read, and hilarious as well. I would really hate to have the two of us in a room one day . . . . everyone would be leaving sucking their thumbs and booking in for a cuddle-me jacket fitting.

I think he has emerged from the paper in the way you intended, he has a slight 'Clarence the cross-eyed Lion' look about him, almost like he's trying to focus on the tip of his nose...... maybe you should have put some small hitchhiker on his nose :D

If there was anything I'd pick on (like I know what I'm talking about lol) it would be sharper focus on the water ahead of him, it seems just a tad to soft/foamy ? Maybe its just the picture, its probably the picture, never mind . . . as you were......
    jord001, MeeshellMP and Squishy like this.
  4. DaveG

DaveG Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

that felt like quite a ride, reading through all of this... Well done, Squishy! Love the swimming kitty.
    Squishy likes this.
  5. Squishy

Thanks @JackEb, bro. He is a little cross eyed lol. I thought about correcting it, but its that way in the ref, and part of why I liked it. As for the water in front, the sharp focus is on the face, the front a little softer, and softer again at the back - its only my lack of skills that haven't captured it well lol lol lol.

As for the two of us in the same room, I'm not sure the world is ready for that :D Not unless the room is some kind of nuclear proof bunker in the bowels of the earth, keeping us safely locked away. You would lead me astray, I'm easily led being such a delicate little flower ;-)

@DaveG if there's one thing I can do its talk, the painting part....thats another matter lol. Thanks for checking it out. Hopefully I'll reach the level of your bee one day.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    JackEb likes this.
  6. Micha der Wolf

Micha der Wolf Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Beautiful result! :thumbsup:
    Squishy likes this.
  7. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

Beautiful. Very nice depth of field.
    Squishy likes this.
  8. Squishy

Thanks guys. :D
  9. beanpoleuk

beanpoleuk Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month! Very Likeable!

Looks brilliant , nice details :)
    Squishy likes this.
  10. toammy

toammy Spider Splatterer

awesome... just awesome... theres definitely method in your madness :D
    good job
    Squishy likes this.
  11. GregStith

GregStith Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

That turned out so well. Want to finish my Buck picture for me?:D
    Squishy likes this.
  12. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

which is a nice change from @Squishy's normal chaotic madness lollol
    Squishy likes this.
  13. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Mod

I think hes absolutely adorable!!! Great job toots!!
    Squishy likes this.
  14. Squishy

lol lol you guys. What is this madness you .....wibble twitch.....speak of? ....gurgle drool....I am as .....twitch spasm....sane as you.....jump flail.....are.
    JackEb likes this.
  15. Squishy

Hah! You're killing it!
    GregStith likes this.
  16. Squishy

Just want to say I really appreciate all your kind words. You guys are inspirational.
  17. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

I think there trying to say there's a MADNESS In Your METHOD! That we all love Thanks squishy;)
    JackEb and Squishy like this.
  18. michael13

michael13 Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

Turned out excellent, well done squishy
    Squishy likes this.
  19. Squishy

Thanks @michael13 .

Lol, this is true. Though I think using the word "method" is a bit of a stretch. :D
    basepaint likes this.
  20. Patch

Patch Elite Member! Elite Member!

Wow!!! great job :)