SOTAR 20/20 for $64.99 on Amazon

Hi Viking,
I bought 2 of these Sotars from Amazon earlier this year and the ones I got are definitely NOT Chinese knockoffs. I did think they might be slight seconds as 2 of my needles had bent needle tips on arrival and there was a small paint defect on the outside of one. Apart from that they work perfectly fine and they do come with 2 needles so I polished the 2 with very slightly bent tips and they straighten out just fine. I bought 2 because I use one Sotar and keep the other for spare parts, buying the 2nd airbrush at this price was cheaper than buying the parts separately and I have 4 needles (2 good + 2 fixed with polishing).

The Sotar is easy to clean because you can take off the whole head (like a Micron) and clean it as one piece instead of having to deal with the tiny nozzle on it own. It is a dedicated detail airbrush so the cup is small, it will give you very fine detail but it is fussy about the paint mix and you need to get the reduction right before it will flow but once it does it will reward you with great detail and little overspray. It's light in the hand and the trigger is super smooth. I'd suggest keeping the 2 pronged air cap on to protect the needle tip because parts are hard to find and very expensive when you do.

I have heard a rumour they are going to stop making Sotars so this could also be a reason they are selling them off cheap but like I said this is a just a rumour. Renegade parts will fit the Sotar but I wasn't impressed when I experimented with a Renegade conversion kit and quickly put the Sotar parts back in. This is a great airbrush at a stunning price with free shipping. If you want a fine detail airbrush and can't afford a Micron this would do nicely as part of your kit but not as your only airbrush.

Be warned! This is not a beginners airbrush. You will also need to get an 1/8th to Badger M5 converter to attach it to your air hose if you don't already have one or a badger male quick release adapter. They don't supply this in the box and I have read a lot of threads where people have been upset because their Sotar arrives and they can't use it. I ordered my adapter straight after I ordered the airbrush and I had it before the Sotar arrived. Nice :)
I hope this helps but please this is only my opinion and my experience.
Cheers Mel

does the head of the sotar screw on like the bad ger 150? just curious

Hi ferret, here are 2 links to Don's Airbrush website where he reviews the Badger 150 and the Sotar. He does a break down of the airbrushes so you can see for yourself what the heads look like. He also compares the airbrushes to each other so it's very interesting to read his reviews.
https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/badger-150
https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/badger-sotar
Cheers Mel

i saw andre's review he didn't seem impressed . I can say one thing i would never pay the full price of the gun. I would rather get another krome i am already thinking about it as soon as i get to florida i am going to send in my micton and get another krome and a bigger compressor

i saw the comparison between the 100 side feed ans 150 and i am convinced the closest il get to a micron cmsb is a badger 100 side feed with a sotar head lol maybe even try it with a micron needle lol what i realy like aboot the 100 side feed is the super short trigger t needle. This short distance means if your working super small you can easily rest your pinky tip on yoyr canvas alot easier for stability

Last edited:
i saw andre's review he didn't seem impressed . I can say one thing i would never pay the full price of the gun. I would rather get another krome i am already thinking about it as soon as i get to florida i am going to send in my micton and get another krome and a bigger compressor

I did say I like the way it worked, just not how everything does not fit square. For this price, I will even look past anything that does not line up.

Last edited:
I did not like them at all.. plus the only replacement parts I know of more expensive than the Soso is the Iwata Micron series Mine went back to Ken twice with packing problems.. I wont buy another brush I cant replace or adjust it myself.. Only thing that made me happy was selling it for what I bought it for.. Some love them though

sorry about that andre as far as buying airbrushes its on hold for now all my airbrushing on hold im only in this house till months end Thain i will stay at a friends house till i goo to doctor Thain Florida hope fully way before Christmas and as for the airbrushes i would like to experiment with the sotar head on the badger 100 for the shortness of the gun

sorry about that andre as far as buying airbrushes its on hold for now all my airbrushing on hold im only in this house till months end Thain i will stay at a friends house till i goo to doctor Thain Florida hope fully way before Christmas and as for the airbrushes i would like to experiment with the sotar head on the badger 100 for the shortness of the gun

I'd be interested how that works out ferret. Is your Badger 100 the side-feed model?

Back