Sotar - bubbling up around trigger?

M

Mr. Magoo

Water, from cleaning, not paint. Is this a bad air valve problem or could it be clogged with something. It has a spring and I have a bad track record taking apart spring loaded things.

Its likely the seal in between the trigger and the head ..Not sure what the sotar has inside but likely a PTFE Needle bearing..In badgers this generally isn't adjustable (might be) but is covered by a lifetime guarantee I believe..are you sure it just wasnt some left over cleaning water? For water to come through the air valve in that kind of quantity is possible if your compressor is pumping out a lot of water but is unlikely, prob a seal issue if anything, but if it doesn't do the same with paint you shld be OK..but yer if worried or if ya cant get it right, contact badger and they shld sort ya..good Luck..

Its likely the seal in between the trigger and the head ..Not sure what the sotar has inside but likely a PTFE Needle bearing..In badgers this generally isn't adjustable (might be) but is covered by a lifetime guarantee I believe..are you sure it just wasnt some left over cleaning water? For water to come through the air valve in that kind of quantity is possible if your compressor is pumping out a lot of water but is unlikely, prob a seal issue if anything, but if it doesn't do the same with paint you shld be OK..but yer if worried or if ya cant get it right, contact badger and they shld sort ya..good Luck..

Thanks, Rebel. Yes it is water from cleaning but that is what indicates the presence of a leak. for the moment it has stopped, I've had the tool less than a month - oh, crap, I just remembered something. When I put the quick release on I used teflon tape to seal the threads and the tape got folded over the airway and then the air pressure shredded it. I'll bet pieces of the tape got jammed in the valve (its very small and looks like a bicycle tire valve). I'll risk taking it apart and looking. I don't get along with spring loaded things as they tend not to go back together as intended. . . . or maybe I should just leave it alone as it isn't hurting anything, I just don't like the bubbling sound when its wet.

If you think there is something in there, then I would suggest getting it out. It's up to you as it's not interfering, but it may cause issues as the air could get stuck on at some point. Not the end of the world though, and it may flush itself out if its bubbling when you clean it.

If you want to seal a thread beeswax or chapstick etc is a good alternative.

Not impossible that some tape got in there, its also possible that the little holes in the valve ain't lining up with the hole in the body that takes the air to the front of the brush, that air instead may be coming out the top of the valve, or some of it, try nipping up the valve a bit tighter and see if that helps, personally I wouldnt try pulling apart the valve initially but take it out, depress the button so its open and then get you air hose with full compressor pressure and blow it through from all directions and it may be enough to dislodge something if its in there...If you have any other badgers laying around perhaps try the valve off one of them and see if it fixes the issue..Teflon tape can be a pain and honestly shouldnt be used on a 5 mm thread, to easy to cross thread them or put too much on, as Squish mentions chapstick or beeswax or vaseline or some non hardening liquid sealent of some type prob better..Good luck and hope ya sort it..

Thank you all. I overcame my fear of taking the trigger apart (justified) and found, Wow!! a big blob of black crap in there that was not letting the air valve close completely. So, I went to the airbrush maintenance tutorial and followed advice, cleaned and lubed and now as smooth as a baby's bottom. The "splats" at starts and finishes also ended. Whodathunkit?

The trigger ass'y does not have a spring like most brushes do. And there I was, parts scattered on table but no spring. Thought I'd lost it, crawled around looking for it. No spring. Consult parts diagram. Aha, no spring indeed. So what makes trigger return? That remains a mystery.

Live and learn (hopefully)

Not impossible that some tape got in there, its also possible that the little holes in the valve ain't lining up with the hole in the body that takes the air to the front of the brush, that air instead may be coming out the top of the valve, or some of it, try nipping up the valve a bit tighter and see if that helps, personally I wouldnt try pulling apart the valve initially but take it out, depress the button so its open and then get you air hose with full compressor pressure and blow it through from all directions and it may be enough to dislodge something if its in there...If you have any other badgers laying around perhaps try the valve off one of them and see if it fixes the issue..Teflon tape can be a pain and honestly shouldnt be used on a 5 mm thread, to easy to cross thread them or put too much on, as Squish mentions chapstick or beeswax or vaseline or some non hardening liquid sealent of some type prob better..Good luck and hope ya sort it..

Actually Rebel. the maintenance tutorial here recommends using it, of all places the seat of the tip . NO WAY would I ever attempt that as you probably have an 80% chance of clogging it. Tape worked out well for me, even on those tiny threads but I was just sloppy doing it, and only on the air connection. You wouldn't want to try it anywhere else. I have a leaking air cap and used wheel bearing grease on it and that stopped it completely.

If you're going to use Teflon tape, you should trim it to size FIRST, and not after you try to put it on. That way you won't risk overlapping the air passage and end up with a piece jammed in the valve.

"Teflon tape is a pain" is an understatement. hahaha

I'd go as far then to suggest the maintenance guide here you read is wrong on that little point LOL..Many use it and use it fine, most though don't understand the correct direction to even put it on...I myself used to say the same and realistically teflon tape is a good thing to use on any thread you want to if you understand what it is your using..which many do :) The one main reason I wouldn't use it on threads on an airbrush these days is because there are easier ways that ensure no damage..been a fitter for 20 odd years mate and I'll still on occasion put on too much teflon, especially on a small thread as literally one full wrap is probably enough but its not an exact science and if its a high tolerance thread theres not a heck of a lot of room to fill so the thread generally pushes the tape down (And cutting it down is essential but can still easily cross thread it if not careful and especially if you wrap the first thread which should be clear of any tape to ensure correct engagement of threads)...Teflon tape was made for course pipe threads that we're generally tapered, not so much for straight threads, especially of the smaller diameter... But I don't attempt to suggest people don't use it at all, only comment on teflon posts to hopefully steer a beginner away from potentially ruining their brush...But if ya threads are worn, buggered and leaking, heck I'll use anything to stop it..My favourite atm is good ol' gaffer tape LOL..But if you want to permanent seal any air threads on the line itself, the silicon self adhesive tape these days is awesome...

I wouldn't try to use it on those tiny threads as I have no feeling in fingertips due to too many years of using sandpaper - can't even pick up a quarter w/o help. Anyway, I thought the kiddo advising use of the tape on the tip a bit off anyway. And frankly I hate the stuff, very hard to handle.

beeswax or chapstick works if the threads aren't deformed
Axctually, I'm not having any problems with threads leaking. And I'm now having far fewer problems controlling the AB as last night was sort of a watershed and it all came together. Use the word "all" advisedly. Or shall I say it clicked after watching several tutorials again.

Last night I surprised myself by freehand drawing a large sailing yacht complete with most of the rigging on 8.5 x 11" copy paper. Now that I got the Sotar cleaned out, it is excellent for very fine detail. Conquered the splats, spiders and tails as it no longer has a mind of its own.

Was getting so frustrated I was very close to giving up, so this was timely.

never give up... this is a big learning curve for a lot of us..... keep at it

never give up... this is a big learning curve for a lot of us..... keep at it
As a fairly good artist in multiple mediums, I thought it would be fairly easy and was rather shocked at just how difficult it is. Nothing like a paint brush or pencil at all.

i cant use a pencil, no art background at all so you're already ahead of me :laugh:

i cant use a pencil, no art background at all so you're already ahead of me :laugh:
Not if you're the author of that avitar next to your name. Actually, if you can draw with airbrush you can draw with pencil. Principles pretty much the same: draw with upper body or arm, not hand and fingers.

nope, the dragon avatar isn't mine, I hijacked it from google free images when the Dragon challenge started. I have actually bought some 'proper' pencils and some graphite pencils and am now confident enough to give them an outing when its to cold out in the shed, yes Australia does have cold winters, its not blisteringly hot all year round.

As a fairly good artist in multiple mediums, I thought it would be fairly easy and was rather shocked at just how difficult it is. Nothing like a paint brush or pencil at all.
Lol. Don't have an art background, although I like to draw, but nothing very skilled, but when I finally decided to try airbrushing I cockily thought - how hard could it be? I soon found out, pretty hard. It's a learning curve just getting everything to come together and find that sweet spot before you can even do anything much with it. I think a lot of people give up at that point. Those of us who carry on must all be a stubborn bunch lol.
I think the AB community sometimes get a bit fed up when the art community as a whole look down on airbrushing, I don't think they really understand the skill involved.

Having an art background deoesn't help with the specific airbrush techniques ya need to learn but once those techniques are down you will find your previous experience will come into play with constructing the piece and understanding the basic art needs that are present in airbrushing..Especially if you've done some water color. I often find most techniques I use these days are basically techniques from other art arena's but just the tool has changed...

Back