For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Spaceye dragon - Yupo Test.

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by Squishy, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

So with all the 'eye' talk, I was feeling a bit left out . But I can't do realism like all you awesome saucepots, so I reverted to type and decided on a dragon eye - just for a change lol. You can join in on some level I find lol.

I have also been wondering about Yupo. It's hard to find in the UK, but I found a supplier premierpapergroup www.paper.co.uk, told them what I wanted it for, and they kindly sent me 4, A4 sheets, labelled thusly : WP_20161026_18_09_59_Pro (800x449).jpg

I hadn't considered there may be different types, so whether this is what is generally used... *shrugs shoulders* It was a lot glossier and shinier than I had thought.

I cut a sheet in half to A5 size (I plan on a few tests) and sketched up my eye. For a bit of a twist I decided to make it spacey, not an original idea, but my take on it, and good for a test. WP_20161025_14_56_08_Pro (1024x634).jpg

I didn't prep the surface (I have since found out that Iso alcohol is rubbed over, thanks Jackster) and traced it straight on, discovering that it doesn't trace too well, and rubs off quite easily. Then I basically cut out the eye to use as a paper mask and started the background, using Wicked and hp-cs eclipse. SAM_1800 (1024x768).jpg
    The paint actually laid down better than I thought. I had to make some adjustments to my usual pressure and reduction. It was similar to painting on a hard surface, but even less forgiving, (auto for example is scuffed to loose the sheen) and very easy to wipe off, but I liked the finish of it, and the colours looked good. I got the texture using a stretched out piece of cotton wool. You have to do it just right, too thin and the cotton wool moves too much, but it's a good poor mans grunge effect. WP_20161025_15_24_40_Pro (1024x575).jpg
    You can see some larger holes, and I sprayed the thicker material between them. You have to be careful not to smudge lifting it on and off. Then I painted the planets again using some cotton wool for texture, and decided to try and make the pupil a bit of a swirly black hole thingy. The Yupo was a joy here, as I was able to scratch of some twiddly bits with ease, and I just did some daggers in a spiral, and added a couple of layers of colour, then some starry splatters and a bit of reflection. SAM_1801 (1024x768).jpg

Next it was time to do the dragony bits - without rubbing off my pencil marks. I found this harder, I wanted to keep pretty tight to the surface as I usually would when freehanding this kind of thing, but the paint was blowing through, I had to pull back from the surface, and reduce the pressure again which helped a lot, but didn't give me the tight lines I would have liked. The paint seemed to bead up to. I am not blaming the Yupo for this, but either myself or the paint. The paint on the inside of the eye did not do this. It also came off very easily, even compared to the the other paint I had used. Just a touch and the paint was gone, making handling pretty tricky. I left it for a while to dry. The centre did dry but the rest didn't- so I am concluding it is either that particular colour, or it just didn't like the surface for some other reason, or my way of painting fine lines wasn't suited. SAM_1803 (1024x768).jpg

I just painted over my pencil lines, and then basically coloured it in. For the texture on the scales I did as I usually do, hold the brush a couple of inches from the surface and move it towards the surface and back, basically doing moving dots for want of a better description. I just find it easier than figure 8's, and a bit less chaotic than scribbling. SAM_1807 (1024x768).jpg

I carried on until the scaley bits were done, and had to repair a couple of places I had managed to leave the edge of a fingerprint, or a bit had rubbed off, then pulled the tape. This can be a bit nervous but I figured the surface wouldn't pull up, and it didn't and left a nice clean edge, however the corner of the side I had cut de-laminated a bit. I liked the look of it a lot but due to the fragile nature of that particular colour decided to top coat it with a matte finish which worked a treat, although dulled the surface.

And this is the result. Not as clean as I would like, and a little lacking in finesse with not so fine lines. So in further tests I will try other colours and see if that has a similar effect. I will also try with and without prepping with alcohol. Do I like Yupo?? The jury is still out on that one. Other surfaces such as claybord I took to like it was made for me, this I am going to have to get to know - it's a bit more high maintenance lol. So further testing required.

SAM_1808 (1024x749).jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    toammy, Diegojavbau, ferret and 8 others like this.
  2. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Excellent eye - I love the creativity in it :) inspiring.
  3. JackEb

JackEb Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

oh I like that one ! ........ spacey dragoooon :)

@musicmacd........ do you do anything to prep the yupo when you use it ? I remember seeing someone state they wiped with isopropyl to remove oil from fingers, but cant remember who it was.....
  4. Squishy

Awwww! Thanks music, very kind of you. You don't need any inspiration. With all the awesome stuff you are turning out, you are inspiring everyone else.

Thanks Jackster :love:
    JackEb likes this.
  5. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Looks great @Squishy really like the eyeball, shame you had trouble with the rest. Was it the same paint? Did you reduce it more or do something different for it not to give you the clear fine lines? Still looks good anyway.
    I've asked for a sample too, theyre only 15 - 20 mins drive from me so requested a sample too or any offcuts i can collect. It's worth a try

Lee
    Squishy likes this.
  6. Splat

Splat Gravity Guru

Hey I like that! I love seeing stuff like this thats off the beaten path.
    And scaled beautifully to boot. lol
    Squishy likes this.
  7. JackEb

just like its creator :laugh:
    Squishy likes this.
  8. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

The dragon eye with a black hole,nice touch:thumbsup::thumbsup: Squishy,how do you like the yupo so far?
    Squishy likes this.
  9. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I have read about that but never cleaned a sheet!!
    Squishy likes this.
  10. Micha der Wolf

Micha der Wolf Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Nice Idea and great result!
    I also want to know how the yupo works for you.
    Squishy likes this.
  11. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

I just find yupo too easy to damage for me. I get the ease of erasing and scratching, and played with rewetting techniques for amazing effects. But it just doesnt give me the feel of an art surface. May play with it again someday. Its possibilities are certainly amazing
    Squishy likes this.
  12. Squishy

Same paint. It worked fine on paper, so I can only assume that particular pigment didn't like the paper, or it's slightly past it's best - but as paper is a more forgiving surface it works fine there, but not on the yupo, or more likely it's just me, and I need to adjust. I like to do my fine line work hovering literally a hairs breadth above the surface at low pressure, but the paint was blowing through, pushing to the sides leaving a bit of a crater. Lowering the pressure I had to reduce more, meaning the lines were quite faint, so I had to go over them again to get the colour I wanted losing the super crispness I wanted. Also I found it didn't like to go over again, doing that made it want to blow through too. So I moved further from the surface, which worked better, but was not a sharp as I would have liked, and made it look a bit clumsy. However as the paint was also seeming to bead up, which the other colours didn't do, and as it didn't seem to be curing (the faintest brush would lose half the pic) I think it was a factor. Be good to know what you think when you get your samples Lee.
    jord001 likes this.
  13. Squishy

There's a path????? :D
    jord001 likes this.
  14. JackEb

Yes a very beaten path ! hence a very wobbly disorganised path
    jord001 and Squishy like this.
  15. Squishy

@basepaint , @Micha der Wolf I honestly don't know if I like it or not yet. I need to try it some more. I have suspicions about the sepia paint in this pic - it really struggled compared to the other colours. The colours in the eye lay down much nicer, so I need to do more tests, and I need to try prepping the surface too, to see what the difference is, if any. I will post the results of those tests too. It is very delicate and easy to damage, and I am very clumsy. so it may not be a good match for me. However it scratches amazingly, and I want to try some fur on it. I didn't try any erasing, but I'm sure it would go straight through and not get the gradual texture you might want. When I do my next test I will try some, and try using trans base as an inter coat, or maybe the the 4030 and see if that has any effect.

So far - and may not apply to everyone, these are my thoughts

PRO
    Doesn't rip, so no need to worry about surface damaging from tape.
    Scratches super easy. Colours look nice and bright
    Paint finish is nice
    Easy to fix mistakes.

CONS

Can't trace too well, pressing hard dents the surface
    Very easy to damage what you've painted
    Doesn't look good for erasing - testing needed
    Had to adjust the way I usually paint

@musicmacd - have you used a sealer? I used Createx matte top coat, which worked well, but obviously gave a matte finish, and I liked how it looked before. I had to seal it because the sepia kept trying to escape, so not sure if the other colours would have just been tough enough on their own.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    jord001 likes this.
  16. Eveliina

Eveliina Gravity Guru

So this yupo paper is see through? Do i see correctly? Totally new to me. I like your eye and i appreciate informative post!

Lähetetty minun GT-I9305 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
    Squishy likes this.
  17. Squishy

Thank you :) If you look at the pic above with the scalpel blade you can see the layers have seperated and it is clear plastic film over a white backing. It seems to me like the surface is similar to a thin acetate.
    Eveliina likes this.
  18. JackEb

no yupo isn't see through.
    its a synthetic paper (imaging 'plastic' paper) . It looks like normal paper but behaves like plastic, you can dunk it in water, wipe it off and start painting
    Squishy likes this.
  19. Squishy

Also I'm not 100% sure this is the same grade of yupo everyone else is using. Be interesting to see what samples Lee gets :)
  20. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

I've also ordered a 5 x 7 booklet of 10 pages of yupo paper. I will see how this is too compared to what i get from the paper company if i get any.

Lee