spiderman blue and red? HALP!

sevastra

Needle-chuck Ninja
Hey guys, I am trying to make the colors for the red and blue of spider-man, and I honestly didn't think it would be so hard to get a primary colors down! I have comart colors, and the red of wicked colors, any idea on how to mix out of those colors to get that rich red and blue? I can't seem to get the right warmth, or tone at all.
ALSO: when doing a color portrait, should i shade in blacks? Or shade in lighter shades of the colors i will be working with?

Last edited:
ALSO: when doing a color portrait, should i shade in blacks? Or shade in lighter shades of the colors i will be working with?

Generally you shld never shade with black on a portrait, use it in your color mixing but don't treat shadows on a face as black, generally they are darker face tones like pinks or browns..On a cartoon though, its the norm on cartooning and kinda what makes a cartoon look like a cartoon so if the ref shows black, use black..

On mixing the colors..I find with red I'll do a base layer with transparent black, ie all the shading first, then go over that with my red it helps reduce it turning pink, you can also do this by mixing light grey with your red, then painting over that layer with trans red to richen it up..The blue should be near a straight out of the bottle blue, but again use an opaque base and then use a transparent to richen, no doubt it will be a dark and light red you'll need and a dark and light blue..I'd do that with 2 opaque colors then two transparents for shadows...But really does depend on ya reference and when it comes to learning color matching there's only a few million or so to learn LOL...You'll get there with some practice but start making some color cards as they really will help.. GL

Back