Splatter with air after spraying - normal?

G

Grant C

Hi, I've got an H&S Ultra, and when I spray just air after spraying paint before, some paint comes out making a bit of a 'splatter'. Not a lot, but enough to cause me a lot of headaches when it goes on a miniature!

The problem seems significantly worse with my 0.4mm nozzle & needle than my 0.2.

Is this normal? Do I just need to remember to spray away from my work at first?

Thanks

Theres more experienced brushers on here than me who will answer.
But it sound like there is something in your nozzle, probobaly just a light coating of paint as its splatting then sealing itself. When you shut off the paint a little bit of paint will leak out waiting to fly out the next time you push/pull the trigger.
Im not familiar with this brush, whether its single action or double but it sounds like a cleaning issue.Or your trigger may be sticking slightly.

As a newbie i have learnt that anything like this happening means its time to give it a really good clean.
I find its always a good idea to push for air away from your art before spraying paint just in case!
Ive done it myself and ruined a perfectly good pic with a big splat of black.
It becomes second nature after a while to spray away from your work first.

the most common reason for the splatter would be paint left behind on either the needle or the needle cap or both

Yes even a tiny dried speck or film of paint can cause the needle not to seat properly so that when you pull back for air paint can get forced out all at once in a splat.

You may need to soak your nozzles in airbrush restorer, and then give them a thorough, but gentle clean - you don't want to scratch the inside, or flare them.

Hi, I've got an H&S Ultra, and when I spray just air after spraying paint before, some paint comes out making a bit of a 'splatter'. Not a lot, but enough to cause me a lot of headaches when it goes on a miniature!

The problem seems significantly worse with my 0.4mm nozzle & needle than my 0.2.

Is this normal? Do I just need to remember to spray away from my work at first?

Thanks
Most likely what is and the most common problem with new to airbrush artist is not fully stopping the paint before you stop air. It is very common to do a sudden abrupt stop to both. This in turn leaves a small amount on the need tip and when the air is started up again you get a tiny splatter of paint. The easiest way to remedy this is keep your air going till you move away from your surface and start your air before you move the brush back to start painting. Also a quick touch of a moistened q-Tip cotton swab with clean any dried paint. Remember not to drag the cotton across the beef but to act as if covering the tip of the needle like a cap would and use hollow body q-tips.

Also if this persists even when you know this is properly done check to make sure your needle is seated properly in the nozzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Thanks all - I've tried to get everything completely clean so I don't think it's that, but I know it's hard to get rid of everything.

You might be onto something, @Airbrush Dreams - I think I'm coming to an abrupt stop instead of letting the air continue after the paint, in fact I might be stopping the air before the paint in some cases. I'll try and focus on doing that differently and see how it goes.

Yer think Airbrush Dreams got ya sorted, sounds like a triggering issue, easy enuf sorted with some more practice..Try this exercise, helps learn that control..good luck.

I might be stopping the air before the paint in some cases. I'll try and focus on doing that differently and see how it goes.

That would definitely be the cause. You should actually be wasting a lot of air. Get air going before you get to the piece and only let get when you move back.

Thanks, yeah that tutorial looks pretty useful - I'm going to try going through the whole set starting with dots. Think I've been trying to run before I can walk!

Back