Spraying urethane

S

Samantha Freeman

I have been so curious about this for a long while as I want to have that automotive glass shine over my artwork. I really want to paint my guitar. But I am worried about the fumes! What ventilation should I be looking into? I see some people using stove hood fans to transport the fumes but shouldn' I filter it?

Not sure if this should go under paints or equipment please excuse my ignorance and if you are wondering what paint I am looking at . I am really liking tamco hi impact clear.... thanks friends!

First off never in an attached area of the home. you can do a make shift spray booth in a detached garage or building but make sure you have a mask rated for the urethane you using.
and make sure you have all the exhaust fans with good rate filters due to it is not only your health you have to worry about but neighbor and any pets too.

Solvent based paints such as urethanes can be extremely hazardous. I know with paints like that you need a proper vent fan, and personal protective equipment. The problem with a conventional fan is the motor is in the airstream, and paint fumes are flammable. So yeah you could have an explosion. I'm not sure about stove hoods, but I don't think they have the motor sealed on them.

So what kind of guitar are you painting? I have a couple of Squier strats that I'd love to try painting someday.

I have a Ibanez that I have had for years. But I may just pay the local collision guy to spray it (bummer) I really want to learn this trade =/

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it :)

Little off topic but still:
4030 mixed with Createx Airbrush Colors or any Createx Colors paint creates an acrylic-urethane paint which greatly improves spray performance.

so this makes color urethane or not? lol
or they are still waterbased pretending to be urethanes?

Little off topic but still:
4030 mixed with Createx Airbrush Colors or any Createx Colors paint creates an acrylic-urethane paint which greatly improves spray performance.

so this makes color urethane or not? lol
or they are still waterbased pretending to be urethanes?

"4030 mixed with Wicked Colors or any Createx Colors paint creates an acrylic-urethane paint "

you can only assume that something in the 4030 is a urethane of some sort

You may wanna hold off a bit since Createx and Coast airbrush keep teasing some newer, than the new clear they just introduced products. So, Createx just put out a water based clear, but Dave at Coast seemed to indicate he's testing some even newer stuff that has him all jazzed but he hasn't spilled the beans as far a I know.

You may wanna hold off a bit since Createx and Coast airbrush keep teasing some newer, than the new clear they just introduced products. So, Createx just put out a water based clear, but Dave at Coast seemed to indicate he's testing some even newer stuff that has him all jazzed but he hasn't spilled the beans as far a I know.
I have 2 botles of 4030.... I was asking, cause I was shooting that crap yesterday at my home. I did use respirator and vented my place but still... I used few drops of 4030...

Now that sounds appealing, Thanks for the info
I seen that water based clear but would it really be that durable? Maybe this new product that Jazzy Dave is hinting towards will be something worth while. In the meantime I guess I will just keep dreaming big :)

Here is the video on the Createx clears. Not as shiny as urethane clears

Yeah, there is a video out there but it may be an instagram only video or maybe facebook, where Craig Fraser actually buffs the createx clear and makes it super shiny.
I don't think you will be able to get the graphic burying capabilities from a water based clear. Done right, you can pound the urethanes on, sand back, and pound some more on.

Now that sounds appealing, Thanks for the info
I seen that water based clear but would it really be that durable? Maybe this new product that Jazzy Dave is hinting towards will be something worth while. In the meantime I guess I will just keep dreaming big :)

I’m in the same boat. Looking for a garage friendly clear myself. I’m lucky as I’m a finisher at a cabinet shop and I spray clear almost everyday. Nasty stuff even in a dedicated spray booth. I can bring my projects to work and spray them after work but I’m usually exausted by then and they don’t get done. I’d say try the Createx new clear now to get familiar with it then when the newer stuff comes out you’ll have some clear time under your belt. From what I was reading last night it’s petty good stuff. If I could find it local I’d be spraying today for sure.

Samantha I’d be curious to what spray gun you’ll be using? If it helps, I use all Anest Iwata guns. Lph80 as well as th most awesome lph 400. I will say that 400 puts th most wonderful coat of clear down ever. Anywho. I’ll be watching this thread to see about the new..newer clear from Createx.

Joe

I love my iwata's that's for sure. The gun and the compressor isn't really my top priority atm I m getting forced out of my current living conditions so I am trying to find somewhere that will suit my needs, hence the information I am asking. I have gotten some great info on the Tamco page on facebook that gave me a link for a maxair insulated fan, and the filters I should buy.... Really that is my top priority. Might be a while before you get an update :)

Back