Starburst effect.

Just got back from the store. Would you believe my grocery store does not have any coloring books? I didn't like the little bit of construction paper they had. Would need to buy assorted packs just to get a little black. Will try and get to Wally World or Hobby Lobby. I like the star stencils!

If you have a computer and a printer the just google 'kids coloring in' the take your pick of the million or so images. I did this and tweaked them so they printed out a faint grey just to save ink. There aren't that many books available these days- kids don't use them they've all got iPads !!
As for black paper I found the quickest and easiest places in Australia are either the local newsagent or officeworks. In the U.S. it would be staples or similar. "Quill board' is a good weight sold in small packs

Quill doesn't make anything like that for the US market. Closest I can find is black card at 80 lb which would be the equivalent.

At 80lb , even though it's still fairly light, it should do the trick.
Might I suggest you spray a coat of trans base or similar first, then go ahead and paint.
On black, it'll make things easier should something go amiss, and it'll also show where your overspray is going as well.
Makes clean-up so much easier if you can see it!

Back