Stormtrooper

Phaze

Gravity Guru
I'm looking for constructive criticism. Its not quite what I'm looking for so if you could pick out some tips to throw me in the right direction, I think it would help me out tremendously

Source: Stormtrooper2.jpg my attempt Stormtrooper finished.jpg

It came out cool looking! I would put darker tones in there to create the more contrasty effect of the reference, use shields to keep the tight lines you have created!

I used straight black, how to get darker?

I used no shields, just a template I cut out... the soft lines were annoying me but didn't know how to get better

Many of the highlights on the ref are very crisp, so I would possibly use a paper mask to preserve those areas and give them sharp edges. And build up the black background in light layers until you get the full black density, which will make the helmet pop more. :)

I used no shields, just a template I cut out... the soft lines were annoying me but didn't know how to get better
The darker tones would be applied to the shadows rather than the black areas. Contrast is the key here... the white is REALLY shiny and keeping it REALLY white would make it look closer to the reference. Not a bad go at all.

It looks greyish to me? Maybe the photo is a little washed out?

Back