For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Striping over clear coat?

Discussion in 'Pinstriping' started by Lowlife Ron, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Lowlife Ron

Lowlife Ron Young Tutorling

Hey everyone, im new to pinstriping for the most part and have it down half dwcent so far. Problem is when i went to stripe my fender and tank it seems to bead up and not lay right. Im assuming its because of the tins being polished but vant seem to het it to lay right. Tried cleaning tank and fenders to try tone some of the slickness down and tried little more hardner in the paint. Any ideas or pointers would be appreciated.
  2. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Hey Ron, can you post some pictures of what is happening? What paint are you using?
  3. Lowlife Ron

I was using lil daddy roth enamel thinned with mineral spirits and a few drops of hardener. I also have one shot and custom shop as well. Picture shows how it spread in places and almost looked too thin where it seperated. Almost like it bubbled a bit ( no chemical reaction of any kind ) . I ended up having to go over it 3 times which made the line thicker than i wanted. i started taping it off today and when i painted the enamel on without deluting it. It went on fine. The middle lines is ones i went over 3 times and the outer lines is ones i taped off so far 1488136632153-442167866.jpg and painted the enamel on.
  4. markjthomson

Hmm, ok, not what I was expecting. A question to eliminate the obvious, did you ensure all the pigment was stirred in? And how old is the paint...?
  5. Lowlife Ron

Yea, everything was definatly mixed well. And the paint i picked up mebe about a year ago. Was sealed good the entire time. Im thinking it has something to do with the parts being polished prior to me painting them? Hasnt happened before and i couldn't find any information online on the issue.
    markjthomson likes this.
  6. markjthomson

Yes, may be. I was expecting to see beading rather than what I saw in the pictures... Only thing I can think of is the paint was thinned too much but you would feel that in the brush.
  7. Lowlife Ron

There was beading. But after a couple passes it wasnt as bad. Im sure it was not thinned too much. This is the first time i have had the issue so far. I have other parts to do so i will try again before pollishing.
  8. markjthomson

OK so beading is an indication of contamination. Do you know what it was polished with? We used a Spies Hecker product on surfaces that had been waxed. Hey, you should pop along to the intro page and say Hi, you obviously been around long enough to drag a brush. Do you spray as well? Intor is pretty easy, where are you in the world, what you do, toys you have, that sort of thing. Here's the link. http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/