Stuck Needle

jbuckley421

Gravity Guru
So, I sat down to paint tonight, and picked up my brush (Eclipse HP-CS) and checked it over like I usually do, and found the trigger to be hard to pull back. After a few mins of inspection, I found that the needle wasn't moving at all, and the cause to be paint stuck to the needle behind the teflon bearing. I cleaned it after using it last, like I always do, and this is the first I've encountered this particular issue. The only residual paint on the needle was from behind the bearing. I recently switched to wicked paints, but I've used them several times without this issue. I'm wondering if maybe the bearing needs to be changed or tightened, or if it's a cleaning issue? A paint issue? The brush is about a year old, and has been used at least a few days per week since its purchase. I use ammonia free windex mixed about 1:4 with water to clean it after use, and use restorer every few weeks.

As always, thank you for the input!

J

Eclipse hp-cs w/ wicked paints

If paint is getting behind the needle bearing, it likely just needs to be snugged a bit.

I tightened it up a bit, haven't checked yet to see if it worked. Hopefully thats all it takes.
You should just barely get resistance when inserting the needle. Over tightening will make the needle difficult to insert and likely make it stick.

To be honest it's probably one of those "I cleaned it really well, how did this happen?" things, and some crud was just hiding and waited until you'd gone to come out. Lol.

It could be a little needle bearing adjustment will stop it happening again, but it really should be the tiniest turn if the screw. When you cleaned the needle last time, did it have paint along the length of it? It might be that you pulled paint through when you took the needle out, why many people remove their needle from the front.

I think the bearing may have just been a bit loose. I pulled it out and cleaned it up, then put it back in a bit tighter. Did a bit of painting with it last night, and today it seems to be fine.

Yep, I tossed the createx cleaner a long time ago. Reducer cleans so much better, and your not spending as much buying the 2 products.

Are you using Reducer or Restorer to clean with? Reducer sounds kind of counter intuitive is why I ask.

Are you using Reducer or Restorer to clean with? Reducer sounds kind of counter intuitive is why I ask.
I use the Createx 4012 reducer to clean with. It breaks down dried paint better than anything but Restorer. I haven't had the need to use restorer in more than a year.

I use the Createx 4012 reducer to clean with. It breaks down dried paint better than anything but Restorer. I haven't had the need to use restorer in more than a year.
Looks like I'll have to try this. Is this a soak you are talking about? Surely it is.

I just put 4012 in the paint cup and run just a small blast out the brush so it fills the entire paint chamber and nozzle. Let it soak for 10-15 minutes. After that, I flush and back flush a few times and clean out the cup with a paintbrush. Back flush and dump the remainder, then flush the airbrush out with water. I have never fully "soaked" or submerged my brushes. Never found it to be necessary.

Well, now I owe you one. I was going to try the same thing with Restorer and see if that worked, but now I see I don't have to.
I shall not forget this and thanks.

Well, now I owe you one. I was going to try the same thing with Restorer and see if that worked, but now I see I don't have to.
I shall not forget this and thanks.

Don't put restorer in your brush. Its dangerous to spray and it's meant for soaking parts after they are taken out of the brush.
I've never tested to see what restorer does to Teflon, but it's pretty powerful stuff.

I soaked a VLS body for 24 hours in it and the AB works fine.
I just cut a small piece of Teflon and put it in Restorer. I'll warm it to 130 degrees F for 24 hours and post here tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back