Tech advice on the Badger Sotar 20/20

Dagann

Young Tutorling
I'm up excrement creek with only a tennis racket to row with. I have a Sotar 20/20 I bought a couple years ago. I was getting paint in the trigger assembly. However, my health went south and I only returned to A/Bing recently. The Sotar has sat idle and I thought I'd try adjusting the needle bushing prior to sending it back to the factory. Obviously, paint dried making it very difficult to budge the (brass?) screw in the body housing and I may have stripped it out. However, prior to the attempt, I called Badger seeking advice. I talked to the tech in the department that deals with such matters. He stated I could buy a kit to do it myself and/or adjust it prior to sending it in for repairs. My question is...if the brass plug that covers the Nylon bushing is stripped out, is the bush worthless or will Badger be able to fix it in their shop? That may seem a silly question for it's rare to get help from the corp. Gods these days without having to surrender my first born to them. Am I paranoid? Probably. But, in a just and loving world, I may be lucky. In today's climate, I expect the worst...lol. I know one thing, I've learned to scorn Nylon bushings. Badger has a good rep and the Sotar also shares the same. But, I wouldn't know because I have little experience with them or it. Any advice? If so, I'll thank you in advance.

@Dagann - Badger customer service is top notch. They'll fix or replace the parts. I had a problem super detail set I ordered for my 105 Patriot. The needle seemed just too darned thick and wouldn't slide through the needle bearing like the fine and medium needles did. I emailed them and they sent a new detail set at no cost.
Your issue of course needs more work, but Don and Herb are both right. You shouldn't have any problems sending it in.

The Sotar doesn't have an adjustable needle seal. It's a pressed in Teflon sleeve. The kit includes a couple seals and a tool. I would send the airbrush to Badger and let them fix it. The seal has a lifetime guarantee.

Don
Thank you, Don...I appreciate it...good info and I learned something.

@Dagann - Badger customer service is top notch. They'll fix or replace the parts. I had a problem super detail set I ordered for my 105 Patriot. The needle seemed just too darned thick and wouldn't slide through the needle bearing like the fine and medium needles did. I emailed them and they sent a new detail set at no cost.
Your issue of course needs more work, but Don and Herb are both right. You shouldn't have any problems sending it in.
I heard they have an awesome rep and your confirmation helps me tremendously. Thank you for your time and advice.

Don nailed it earlier - there is no packing screw to strip out within the Sotar body. The needle packing is pressed in from the front of the brush, with the head assembly removed. They do sell a kit to do it yourself, but I recommend grabbing a copy of the repair request from Badgers website, and sending it in. They turn them around in quick order, and you will be sure it is done right.

Back