For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Testing a photo hosting option ;-)

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by DaveG, Jul 10, 2017.

1. DaveG

DaveG Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

[​IMG]

I was able to post this photo directly from Facebook. Simply open the picture in FB, and right click to choose "copy image address" and then click on the little "mountain" icon (image) on the top of your post window in this forum, and paste. You can also use the "options" tab on the lower right hand side of the photo in your FB window, which will show the option to "get link", which open the location address in a new window. Copy and paste it into the window that pops up when you hit the little "mountain" icon (image) at the top of your post window on this forum, and paste the address...

Edit: After some more fooling around a bit more, I have found that the original photo needs to be placed into an "album" in Facebook, in order to have the image then show in other places when copying, and placing a link. If the Original is just on your timeline, instead of an image appearing, you get a clickable link that will open the image in a stand alone window.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel!

It works!
    DaveG likes this.
  3. DaveG

[​IMG]

This one was just because I thought it was a cool picture (I took these this morning, along with a few dozen others).
    Russ Allen, jord001 and doc1 like this.
  4. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Well done Dave, thanks for testing yet again lol

at least we know that MacD 10000000 photos may not entirely be lost.
    I always upload to the forum rather than 3rd party providers
    jord001 and DaveG like this.
  5. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Looks a good working system, my only concern is that fb get wise and stop it.

Lee
  6. DaveG

Stop it? If anything FB will find a way to advertise through people using it ;):laugh: It is actually a feature they built in, as one of the photo "option" texts indicates that if you copy the location address, and paste elsewhere - even people that do not have a FB account will still be able to view the image.
  7. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

That's good then. I use fb but hardly know the features it has. I can just about make a post although I have created another page with success.

Lee
    DaveG likes this.
  8. DaveG

last one, I promise! Actually took this in bright sunlight - The sun must clear the hills and trees in front of the house, so there are deep shadows out in front of the yard until almost noon. The garden, however, gets full sun much earlier...

[​IMG]
    jord001, Russ Allen and doc1 like this.
  9. Jurien72

This has gotten me thinking about several ways to store photos online- I know sites like Flickr offer tons of free storage, but I'm not really sure how the linking works. If I get some time, I'll try to play around with my accounts.
  10. Jurien72

Oh yeah... what kind of camera and macro lens are you using??? I love doing close-up photography!
    DaveG likes this.
  11. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

If you are using a computer simply hover over any open image and right click your mouse, then choose "copy URL" and paste that into the dialog box that opens when you click the image icon above the message, note that when you right click you will usually also have option to "save image as" so you can download it to your computer or smart device then you can post direct by clicking "upload a file" under the message window.

Using a smart phone or tablet (cant say for sure for iPad or iPhone) press your finger on the image you want to embed and hold until you see the option to copy or copy URL and do the same as described above.

I've never used Photobucket or Flickr, My photos are automatically backed up to my Google photos, Samsung cloud and Microsoft onedrive and I can embed from all three if I want.

I prefer to upload my photos direct but photos taken from my phone are usually bigger than the 1MB allowance on this forum, to combat this I download my backed up copy from my Google photos account and post one direct, all photos backed up to Google photos are automatically resized and well under the limit without losing quality, if you have two or more gmail accounts emailing any of your photos from account to the other will also resize it.

Note again that the process for copying and pasting an image URL works for any image you might come across anywhere on the internet, not just your own, and this will apply to any kind of image at all, for example, website banners and headers which are effectively images.
  12. DaveG

Sorry I missed this question - I use a Nikon D3300. The pictures in this thread where taken not with a Macro lens, but a big telephoto :). I use Tamron 150-600mm, but I added extension tubes to allow for a closer focus. I also have a Sigma 150mm f2 Macro for the camera. As an aditional nte, I will also mention that the kit lens that comes with the Nikon d3300 - an 18-55mm lens will do really nice close up's with the use of an extension tube or two...