Texture FX mask trick

I've been buying those plastic dividers you use in folders as a schoolkid (they sell paper card ones as well).
Those ones with a tag on the side but your limited to A4, But you can get 10 sheets for a dollar.
They cut ok on a plotter as well and the ones I get are solvent proof as well.

If I want something a bit more durable and stiffer I get the plastic sheet thats in the bottom of shopping bags, the canvas type thing you get at aldi for a dollar.
Only issue with those is they are long enough but only 8 inches across, have not tested for solvents yet.

I watched the advert on the texture fx stencils and really liked the cloud demo. I want to get them, but what does it mean by 'polymer coated'? Are they coated card stock? Are they durable enough to pay $30 U.S. for them?

I watched the advert on the texture fx stencils and really liked the cloud demo. I want to get them, but what does it mean by 'polymer coated'? Are they coated card stock? Are they durable enough to pay $30 U.S. for them?
They are made of a cardboard material. You have to be somewhat careful or you can damage them.
As for their application and ease of making random textures easily, I'd say they are worth it.

For whatever two cents american is worth to all concerned; here's mine. The Texture FX stencils are quite reasonably priced, small or large ; you get a set of three. As stated above, they are a "coated" card stock. I was worried about damage as well, then it occurred to me that if damaged, it wouldn't make a difference as it is an "organic pattern".
Regarding the advert for the video, I just watched the whole video (worth the price as well, IMO).
Attatched is my first cloud attempt using Geralds tequnique, got a bit too busy, but I think I get it now.

Attachments

• 2015-04-28 01.43.18.jpg
    2015-04-28 01.43.18.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 35
I have had a set of them since they first came out and use them for a lot of different effect.
@Tradeshowjoe All the videos David Monnig produces at Coast Airbrush are top notch and watching the pros use their own product to do different effects is always a plus.

Back