For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

That's rugged guys!

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by jared pittman, Jan 7, 2017.

1. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Yup come to NZ, we don't have any snakes, or goannas...
  2. Ricktarsprayer75

Ricktarsprayer75 Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

Just spiders aghhhhh.
    I used to to be absolutely terrified of spiders but the lads i work away with clicked on and made my life hell. So i had to man up and i forced myself to get over it. I can hold tatantulas and most others now.
    Its the little sods with the long legs that seem to get to me.
  3. markjthomson

Actually none of them either. OK there is a native spider that will give you a nasty nip, related to the black widow but most NZ'ers have never seen them. Might have to go hunting for one. We do have white tails from Australia but they aren't a problem either.
    Ricktarsprayer75 likes this.
  4. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

Yer am the friendly neighbourhood hobbit LOL..Small feet though but just as hairy hahaha..its quite a unique house and why I bought it, only know of 2 or 3 other underground houses in victoria so its kinda rare, not as underground as what they do in Cooper Pedy where the whole town live underground..Kind of dug into an embankment so about 12 foot underground but ceiling is ground level if that makes sense (High ceiling)..Awesome to hide in in hot weather or if I need to get on the roof LOL but thats what all the creepy crawlies think too..Goanna's arn't small lizards thats for sure but much skinnier than a komodo, much of it was tail though, body lengths about 3-4 ft, still not something you want coming at ya as they can get quite nasty, especially if you stand still as they have been known to try to climb peeps LOL but left alone their good snake hunters, so tend to leave em be and he's a neibour so happy for him to visit occasionally :) But am no snake fan LOL..Spiders though dont bother me unless I see them on me, then I squeal like a girl LOL..

But avoid New Zealand like the plague...Kiwi's live there LOLOL
  5. Ricktarsprayer75

Sounds cool. Literally
  6. RebelAir

It is m8, even cooler when we open up the cave..The house had to have a fire exit so the fella that built it said OK, and dug a cave through the embankment.Its long enough that if the breeze is up it cools it down as it goes through and essentially is a natural Air Conditioner..Put it this way, Australias darn hot in summer, especially where we live, practically desert besides the trees LOL, can grow rocks really well LOL, but no need to run the aircon till it gets to about 45 degrees outside...Few pics, old m8 revisited again yesterday so managed to chase him up a tree and get a snap or two, hard to see he's true size and he's not as big as some can get but still ain't too small either..

Old Mate.jpg

Few pics o the house, first is the back embankment and how the roof sits ground level, following is the inside of the main room, top windows at the back of the shot is the ground level and the other is the front entrance, on both sides you can kind of see how its been dug back into the embankment..I must admit even after living there for about 7 years now, wake up each morning loving the place :) Still a WIP though LOL

Back of House.jpg Main Room.jpg Entrance.jpg
    jsymac likes this.
  7. Ricktarsprayer75

Whoa youre a lucky man rebel.
    Beautiful house and surroundings m8.
    I'd be a bit wary of those goanas as im not used to anything like that. We get a few hedehogs visiting the back garden and the local sparrowhawk has made me jump taking birds off the fence or out of the tree.
    But waking up to that goana and the rest of the wildlife would be amazing.
  8. jsymac

jsymac Young Tutorling

That's a cool house, not the sort of thing you'd see over here, mind you being underground you probably wouldn't see it anyway.:)
    RebelAir likes this.
  9. JackEb

JackEb Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

almost my dream property @Rebel, if I came to visit I would have a hard time leaving, love the car rim on the walkway post.... very Aussie of you !
    RebelAir likes this.
  10. RebelAir

Gotta have sumfin to hold onto the hose and am too cheap for a hose reel LOL..If I ust had access to a better water supply r spring I'd be in heaven :)..hard work keeping everything alive when waters low. My fave bit is waking up to wallabys in the drive and the singing birds..Wld stay in a tent just to continue to enjoy that. :)

I am indeed m8 was just lucky enough to come across it at the right time in our lives...Was cheap too ;) LOL..We also get lots of hawks and eagles around here chasing the little birds and hassling my chooks so know what ya mean, but its the crows I hate...and I know they hate me too LOL
  11. JackEb

JackEb Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

the crows are great, what other creature can get away with saying Faaaaaark all day !!
  12. RebelAir

I do an OK job of getting away with that LOL...faaaaaaaaaark..Although I often just say FaaaarkU2 and I know they know what I mean LOL. Its even funnier if I go out with my slingshot and try to scare em outta the trees...They say Faaaaaark when I get close and the Kookaburra's laugh at me for missing again :)
    markjthomson and JackEb like this.
  13. Phaze

Phaze Double Actioner

This reminded me of a video I seen yesterday that had me that had me cringing and backing up a wall.

You only need to watch the first minute

JackEb likes this.
  14. markjthomson

Fantastic looking house and a great design... awesome getting natural cooling. We get the occasional kookaburra here, they were brought over in the 1800's by Governor Grey. He also introduced the Wallabies and brought salties with him. Man with a lack of environmental for thought. Fortunately the salties didn't take. We have a local flock of cockatoos as well. We don't have koala's.
  15. Steve McCracken

Steve McCracken Elite Member! Elite Member!

I truly enjoy this forum. There are great people here. However, I think the written word is at times tough to interpret.

Let's take a deep breath. If we were at a place with refreshments - they would be on me. Cheers.
    jsymac and markjthomson like this.
  16. Amra

Amra Gravity Guru

I don't post often, but I've had nothing but good experiences with the people here. If I have a problem with someone, more than likely that suggests a problem with me and my own biases, not them.

Besides, communication over this medium can be difficult, because someone might be speaking matter-of-fact, yet it could be read it as holier-than-thou. When someone with considerable knowledge tries do condense years of experience into a paragraph, it can come across as disjointed, blunt and to-the-point. That doesn't mean it was intended crassly. Rather, the fact that they took the time to try and explain succinctly should indicate an effort to provide assistance, not condescension. This is why you should uphold the principle of charity whenever you read something, which is basically an honest effort to take the most charitable interpretation of what you've read as possible. Perhaps try to assume you've misread or misunderstood the persons intent if it comes across as mean, condescending or defamatory, this will keep you from making the mistake of replying angrily, only to find that the person was not intending to earn your ire.

I try to remember that offence is taken, not given. I would rather ask for clarification or offer an explanation than attack them for something that could just have been a misunderstanding on my part.
  17. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Wise words Amra.
  18. markjthomson

Amra likes this.