For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

The "duh" moment (manufacturers)

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Robbyrockett2, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Detail Decepticon!

Well I finally had this duh why didn't I think of that moment and looked up some patent law.
    European,as well as japanese and american patents on mechanical devices are only good for 20 years.
    Japans patent law provides no extensions for anything but medicines and pesticides.
    However, even without patent protection they have a law against exact copies but it's far more lax.
    Basically as long as you change the look of something currently being sold but not under patent it's legal.
    If it's not even currently being sold than you are free to copy it exactly.

This pretty much completely explains all the japanese Iwata "equivalents" that have popped up in recent years.
    All of the original HP stuff can be copied exactly right off the patent docs. The + line and the microns can be copied right off the patent docs as long as you change the appearance a little.

If you look around you'll see exact copies of the HP's that are made in japan, and Micron and plus copies that simply have a different finish or different colored handle or for example the GSI 270 and 289 that just use a different combination of Iwata parts that aren't currently sold in the Iwata line together as one brush.

Even the original contractors that already have tooling for the Iwata stuff would be free to make it for someone else if they arent currently under contract with Iwata.

This may or may not have anything to do with Iwata purchasing H+S but H+S's patents are still good for 10+ years. Iwata may have realized they were losing their grip and rather than trying to make a better mousetrap for what is really a very small market sector they simply bought the other great mousetrap, as it were.
  2. Robbyrockett2

Of course any of this could be wrong for one reason or another, just food for thought.
  3. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

That is an interesting read on Patent laws but the drawings fall under copywrite laws as well. But those are not as closely followed like the ones in the art world are.
    Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  4. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel!

As far as Chinese manufacturers go, they don't fall under patent and copyright laws. Thats why they blatantly rip off EVERYTHING.
  5. Robbyrockett2

Yeah, and I would guess If that's the case than they just couldn't use the actual drawings. Which wouldn't stop an OEM contractor from selling parts they already know how to make or for that matter just taking measurements of the real thing.
    Even the more "reputable" chinese companies Like Lifan and zhongshen follow it though. They only started making 50cc clones of the suzuki and honda engines once they were over 20 years old. Lifan even copies 500cc suzukis (I think) but they are the old designs.
    We don't see any japanese H+S copies though ( except Airtex which is an H+S partner)
    I think because H+S patents are still good.
    All just thoughts, Idk if its correct, but it seems to kind of fall in line
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  6. Robbyrockett2

Heres the other factor too. I kind of realized while looking into meiji spray guns that Iwatas US patents may have happened later than they happened in japan. So when another company does start making the same product I think they hit japan first then they have to wait on the US patent to run out before they can export here. That one i'm really unsure of though.
  7. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style

I like the theory and it makes a lot of sense. The Mr Hobby brushes are so similar to Iwata, as you and Dave have said, but they have some simple changes to the external parts which obviously makes them look different. Definitely an interesting theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk