For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

The Marissa K33 Needle by Zsolt (for 0.18 microns)

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by haasje dutchairbrush, Feb 21, 2015.

1. haasje dutchairbrush

haasje dutchairbrush Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

As some of you might have heard (or even tried) Marissa and Professor Zsolt Kovacs developed a new 0,18 needle for the micron range of Iwata.

I got my hands on one a couple of weeks back but till now was asked not to share that as it wasn't yet avaliable to the "general public".

As it is now up for preorder I thought some of you micron owners might be interested in a short review.

The needle is advertised as follows: A perfect balance between strength and performance, this strong and resilient needle features a special smooth surface, superior durability, and excellent flow with much less tip dry. A bold statement so how does it fare :).

-Nothing to do with the performance but pretty important as you don't want to have a bend needle delivered. The needle is in a sturdy package so it will stand up to possible rough handling during transport.

For the actual testing.

-Comparing the K33 to a nearly new normal needle under a magnifying glass the K33 looks considerably smoother/more polished.

-I used Inspire white (eurethane) which is a bit of a tipdry hell color (nothing against Inspire as I use that on all custom jobs).

When using this color at about 25% reduction (using Inspire thinner) it paints with a nice opacity but I do tend to have to clean the needle regulary (hence why I used it for a test). In this case it was used to put a snow camo patern on a paintball gun, so I wanted to use as little reduction as possible (wanted it white afterall :))

I started out with an almost new "normal" needle to see how often I needed to clean my needle in a 15 minute period. During this period I had to clean the needle 16-17 times. I could paint for a short while but the paint quickly started to stuck to the needle (not just the tip but everything that came in to contact with the paint) causing problems with the performance of the gun.

When I switched to the K33 needle I noticed a drastic reduction in the amount of tipdry. I painted for about 15 minutes and only had to clean the needle 2 times. Also the paint didn't seem to stick as hard to the needle as I could whipe it off more easily.

-So as far as the statement about tipdry, in my experience it does reduce it drasticly. I did use a bit of an extreme test but with waterbased paints (E'tac / Createx illustration) I also had less hassle with tipdry when I used less reduced paints (especialy noticable when using black).

-As for the durablility I can't realy review it yet as I haven't used it long enough but Marissa is using the same needle for quit some time now and it still is "as new" (atleast that's what she told me when I spoke to her, but I'll take her word for it :) ).

Conclusion

Keep in mind this is my personal oppinion (and I'm not getting payed by Marissa :)).

Compared to a normal needle I was pretty impressed by the performance of the K33 especialy when using paint at lower rates of reduction.

At 100,- euro the price for the needle is pretty steep (compared to a "normal" needle). If the needle lasts as long as is indicated though it should make up for it's price eventualy (depending on how often you ruin one :p) and you get enhanced performance to boot.

The needle is not yet avaliable through the webshop but up for pre-order. For those interested see:
    http://www.foxystudio.com/the-marissa-k33-needle-by-zsolt/

darkscholar, markjthomson and Matwes like this.
  2. Matwes

Matwes The Analog Kid Very Likeable!

Great review! :thumbsup:

I'll have mine in the mailbox next week, very interesting.
    haasje dutchairbrush likes this.
  3. Ronald art

Ronald art Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Like you I tested the needle with the color that always gives me the most trouble , it may not be as bad as the paint you used but the etac private stock and efx white always give me some dry tip and I need to clean the the regular needle every minute or more depending on how much pressure I use and I tend to use low pressure when I go into detail work . I used the Marissa K33 needle and had no problems with dry tip at all the brush kept preforming like I was using a color that gives me next to no dry tip . I left the brush sitting on the stand without cleaning the needle for about 15 to 20 minutes while I was using a different airbrush for larger coverage and when I went back to the micron I could see some white paint on the needle tip but didnt clean it just to see if a simple blast of air would do the trick and again no problem at all I could do all the detail work I wanted to do with out cleaning the needle
    my second test involved etac efx paynes grey a color that never gives me much dry tip but will dry on the tip if I put the brush away for detail erasing.
    I filled the cup at 11 this morning started painting till about 1 in the afternoon walked the dogs for an hour and started painting round 3 up till now I didnt have to clean the needle once so I will let the brush sit on the stand for a few more hours just to see if that will make a difference :)
  4. matty171

matty171 Air-Valve Autobot!

I need to order a new needle, but at €100 ill def not be ordering this one, for the sake of a bit of tip dry and at €80 cheaper ill stick to the standard one. Thanks for the review guys
  5. haasje dutchairbrush

As indicated i also find 100,- a bit steep for a needle :p. I'm not sure I'd pay that for just the difference with tipdry. It should be a lot more resiliant to damage though which is the main selling point for me. With my use I go through 3-5 needles each year so if it's more or less free of wear and tear I'll make the difference back reasonably quick.
    Matwes likes this.
  6. matty171

Well as you say mate if your going thro say 5 a year at approx €20 then it could prob be worth it. Just a lot to pay all at once, ill be interested to see how your going with it in a few months time.
    Ive bent a couple of needles before but have been able to straighten them myself but i dropped my micron one and it landed right on the tip so it has a little kink in it, but this is the first needle ive had to replace in over a year so suppose i cant complain
  7. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

I'll pay €100 for a needle when it comes with a free Micron V2 and lessons:eek:

I haven't replaced the needle in my Neo for more than a year but I also haven't used my Neo in more than a year, so I suppose every needle will last years and years if we just leave the brush in the box:)
  8. matty171

lol great point mate
  9. Ronald art

Ronald art Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I agree 100 euro sounds steep for a needle , I replace the needle in my micron every year and I am guessing this K33 needle will last me about 4 to 5 years if not longer judging by the fact that Marissa uses her needle for over 2 years now and still needs no replacement , if this is the case the needle is cheaper than the iwata needle :)
    The needle also makes the micron v2 preform better or should I say makes the paint flow better at lower pressure . I used to need 30 psi for etac efx straight out the bottle and now I only need 20 psi for the same paint
  10. denstore

denstore Spider Splatterer

I have Olympos Micron needles that are 10-15 years old. A new one would cost med about €30. No way I would pay €100.....
  11. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

One day when I'm big I will pimp mine withe the needle, the cup and whatever they are working on next. With our current exchange rate and shipping it is about the same as a complete Eclipse.
  12. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Wow, sounds good, but not 100 euros good. I've been using my hp-cs needle for about a year, and am just about to change it, but only because as I bent it (in what can only be described as a moment of retardedness, and after straightening it is still slightly kinked.) and I could almost by a whole new brush for that.
    I'm still struggling to save up for a micron, so find this price pretty scary. But I guess they have put a lot of time and money into developing it, and need to get that back. I'm sure professionals will want them, and make the money back by having to replace needles less, or by incorporating it into their prices somehow.
    Madbrush likes this.
  13. Matwes

@haasje dutchairbrush - Carlo sent my needle yesterday and I can hardly wait to try it.. what's your opinion on atomization and fine detail, is there any difference from the OEM needle? I saw a test spray sheet with some fine lines painted with the K33 and there was a hair as reference.. the painted line was thinner than the hair it self.
  14. haasje dutchairbrush

@Matwes

To be honest I think with a new needle and nozzle the cm will paint as close to perfection as possible when it comes to "minute control". Also for those hair thin line it's not only the needle the nozzle also needs to be in perfect condition.

Maybe it's a tad easier to spray a bit less reduced paint at very low pressure as the needle is more polished but to be honest if thats the case I didn't notice it (but maybe I need to practice a bit more to be able to notice it :p).

I think those very thin lines have more to do with control and a needle and nozzle that are in perfect condition.
  15. haasje dutchairbrush

I also used to paint a very long time with a needle but it's performance will gradualy diminish, and thats something you won't notice untill you put in a new needle. This is only of concern ofc when doing fine detail, I never replaced the needle of my badger as that is only used for large areas
  16. Matwes

Cool.
    I'm hoping to get better results with the E'Tac Private Stock colors as they tend to build up easier on the tip of the needle than the MFX/EFM line.
  17. Strictly Attitude

Strictly Attitude Air-Valve Autobot!

I have polished my own needles using the simmilar method as Zsolt the price reflects the price of the time it takes to polish a needle to that quality. It does make a difference in how it performs. Would I pay that never but I would not pay for any thing where the parts and tools are less the final product. I feel the price is fair and not everyone has the same skill sets in life or time. For these that needle is a good fit.
  18. denstore

denstore Spider Splatterer

I have three Microns at the moment. Two 0.18 and one 0.23. One 0.18 is almost new, and one is maybe 15 years old, bought second hand. I can switch the needles between them, and not noticing which one is which. Sure, I don't use my microns as much as a professional artist, but I have owned most of the Iwata made microns as well, and they wear faster. Both needles and nozzles. There are other Olympos owners on this forum as well. Maybe they have the same experiences as I do?
    In any case, spending more than three times on a slightly superior than an Iwata needle, when I still can buy Olympos stock feels like a waste of money.
    But then, if I tried one of these, and thought it much superior to the stock Olympos needles, I might buy a couple. But I still feel that it is close to highway robbery.....
  19. haasje dutchairbrush

I wouldn't exclude the possibility that I might be less carefull with my needles (and nozzles) :p.
  20. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

I would love one although I don't really suffer with tip dry on the rare occasion when i'm painting. I can't warrant 100 euro though unless i won some money. I will stick with my stock .18 needle which I have polished. Great product by the sounds of it though..

Lee