The Truth - No Bias!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spiralcity

I came here seeking some advice, perhaps some help in pushing me more towards art, something more than model building. I know how to handle my guns, I just need a push in moving away from a work-bench and towards an easel.

Having stated that, I would like to cut straight to the chase. Airbrush brands and the mythos!

Before purchasing my Precision Aire guns, I must have read a thousand articles and watched countless airbrush videos on YouTube. I came to the conclusion that NO brand is the best, it's a matter of mastering what you use, and using what you need.

I do know that the higher end airbrushes cost more for a reason. The trigger and internal mechanisms are better and allow for great control and extremely fine detail. I get that.

Here's the thing: there is no shortage of mid range guns costing anywhere from 100.00 to 200.00 dollars, most people tend to own guns in this price range. I see people waving Badger and Iwata flags constantly. People bicker over one brand being better than the next. I am lost to the reasoning of the fight. All these brushes are basically the same, it's a matter of using the right tool for the right job. If you need a fine detail brush, then use one., general coverage, then use one, an all around gun, use one. Master what you use, modify if necessary, but learn to use your tool and it will serve you as well as any other gun in the price range.

My Badger 150 preforms as well as my Precision Aire, my VL as well as my 150, but I use them for different jobs.

So, I came here to find out the truth minus the bias. I just want to know how your gun performs for you, I don't care if you think Iwata rules, or Badger is the best, or everyone should shoot with a SATAgraph if your doing fine detail., I don't care if Harder & Steenbeck built you a house from left over airbrush parts. Lets leave the bias behind and just talk about what your equipment is doing, and what if anything you did to modify the gun.

The truth is out there.

Good thinking but there is no "truth" that you seek, you nailed it with "Here's the thing: there is no shortage of mid range guns costing anywhere from 100.00 to 200.00 dollars, most people tend to own guns in this price range." That pretty much sums it up.

For me I have an iwata eclipse and a vintage DeVilbiss (that is for looking only at the moment). My Iwata is wonderful and performs great.

Meh, truth, i like my iwata eclipses a lot, my olympos is awesome. My Badger Krome is good too. I use a softer apring on my eclipses thats it.

Well, my point is, I just want info on the guns being used, I don't need biased opinion. That's really it. I would like to see and hear how someone may have modified their Steenbeck, and how they like it. I don't want to hear how it is hands down the best. So, a bit of truth with no bias, that is all.

I've owned quite a few brushes, they are not all created equal. I personally prefer Iwata and H&S. Outside of the major brands, I've found a lot of inconsistency. The only mods to my brushes are polished needles and soft air springs.

Well, my point is, I just want info on the guns being used, I don't need biased opinion. That's really it. I would like to see and hear how someone may have modified their Steenbeck, and how they like it. I don't want to hear how it is hands down the best. So, a bit of truth with no bias, that is all.
lol... sorry, you'll have to take out my comment then... I brought Iwata because I know it and like it... hence am biased... are they the best... maybe... are there better ones... maybe... are they the worst, not even close... do they work - very well!! you'll figure it out...

I'll stand up and say that you obviously haven't spent a lot of time perusing this forum....
although there are 'fans' of one brand or another, I think you'll find that we all agree that everyone is allowed to like what they like. Its no different than me trying to tell you that you should follow a particular sporting team. You'll go with what you feel comfortable with.

Some people have no choice but to consider budgets and cost of ownership (spares) and that is a big factor in their choices.

If you look around the forum you'll find a heap of threads titled "brand Vs brand" that give genuine advise on what the user feels is a good point to a particular brush.

heres a starting point for you......

http://www.airbrushforum.org/airbrushes/

You guys are nuts...lol :)

Yep, I know there will be bias, that's the point of this thread.

The title is "What Would You Like To Learn Here"
I just want the details of the gun and any mods if any at all, just the general info on the gun

I am Biased also, but I hold that close to my vest. What I think is great may feel like a piece of junk in someone else's hands. I completely understand and respect that.

If I stated that Badger has the greatest customer service bar none, how many would gasp? In America, that statement is as close to honest as it could possibly be. I find that to be a bigger selling point than anything else when dealing with these guns in the 100.00 to 200.00 dollar mark. They all preform the same as far as I can see, but I digress.

I've owned quite a few brushes, they are not all created equal. I personally prefer Iwata and H&S. Outside of the major brands, I've found a lot of inconsistency. The only mods to my brushes are polished needles and soft air springs.

I am sorry, but there is no truth here. All the guns in the 100.00 to 200.00 are basically the same. I am not looking for this kind of info. This is why I posted this thread. I see this same kind of bias time and time again, and always an Iwata or Badger fan are the ones posting stuff like this. You can like Iwata all you want, but their mid-range guns are no better than other mid range guns, and I have no idea what their customer service is like.

..........You guys are nuts...lol :) ...............

we know,!!!! it was in our T&Cs when we joined !

So, I came here to find out the truth minus the bias. I just want to know how your gun performs for you, I don't care if you think Iwata rules, or Badger is the best, or everyone should shoot with a SATAgraph if your doing fine detail., I don't care if Harder & Steenbeck built you a house from left over airbrush parts. Lets leave the bias behind and just talk about what your equipment is doing, and what if anything you did to modify the gun.
The truth is out there.

..............Yep, I know there will be bias, that's the point of this thread.................

Hang on, are we being biased or not ??
I think this thread would have been better in the Airbrush section, but i'll move on....

Minus the bias........... I have several airbrushes and they all perform better than my ability, I don't get cramp, they're easy to tear down if needed.
with the Bias......... Iwata rules....... I've only ever had chinese knock off then Iwata, the first Iwata worked well so why would I switch brands ??

I am sorry, but there is no truth here. All the guns in the 100.00 to 200.00 are basically the same. I am not looking for this kind of info. This is why I posted this thread. I see this same kind of bias time and time again, and always an Iwata or Badger fan are the ones posting stuff like this. You can like Iwata all you want, but their mid-range guns are no better than other mid range guns, and I have no idea what their customer service is like.
Now your saying there is no truth to this, however Jeff has owned a lot of airbrushes. He stated facts as he sees them. That is pure truth, not bias.

Now to say an iwata eclipse performs the same as a badger krome, or a badger patriot would simply be no truth.
My Badger Krome performs well, so do my eclipses. But they do not perform the same.
A Badger airbrush with the multi tapered needle will not perform at all the same as most other airbrushes (not saying which is better)

And most certainly outside of the.major manufacturers there are many reports of inconsistencies.

I'll stand up and say that you obviously haven't spent a lot of time perusing this forum....
although there are 'fans' of one brand or another, I think you'll find that we all agree that everyone is allowed to like what they like. Its no different than me trying to tell you that you should follow a particular sporting team. You'll go with what you feel comfortable with.

Some people have no choice but to consider budgets and cost of ownership (spares) and that is a big factor in their choices.

If you look around the forum you'll find a heap of threads titled "brand Vs brand" that give genuine advise on what the user feels is a good point to a particular brush.

heres a starting point for you......

http://www.airbrushforum.org/airbrushes/

There's nothing wrong with an opinion, don't get me wrong. The thing is, we all have opinions that doesn't make my opinion any more useful than others. I prefer a good hands on, useful, break down of a gun. I have seen just about every product in use on YouTube and basically all these guns in this specific price range are built the same way. So, it comes down to feel, and learning your gun. I haven't seen any proof , only personal opinions of an Iwata out preforming a Badger or vise versa, it comes down to the user.

A good review is fine, a biased review truly helps no one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now your saying there is no truth to this, however Jeff has owned a lot of airbrushes. He stated facts as he sees them. That is pure truth, not bias.

Now to say an iwata eclipse performs the same as a badger krome, or a badger patriot would simply be no truth.
My Badger Krome performs well, so do my eclipses. But they do not perform the same.
A Badger airbrush with the multi tapered needle will not perform at all the same as most other airbrushes (not saying which is better)

And most certainly outside of the.major manufacturers there are many reports of inconsistencies.

I feel your wrong and this goes to using the right tool for the job, they all preform very well for what they do. A detail brush wouldn't be used for wide areas. This is the mythos, and it's alive and well.

Jeff may have used many brushes and I respect his opinion but his opinion are his.

But lets not get way off topic.. I have nothing against jeff and I don't want to go there at all. jeff is emtitled to his opinion but this thread wasnt created for that, and it's veering off topic.

I have seen just about every product in use on YouTube and basically all these guns in this specific price range are built the same way. So, it comes down to feel, and learning your gun. I haven't seen any proof , only personal opinions of an Iwata out preforming a Badger or vise versa, it comes down to the user.

A good review is fine, a biased review truly helps know one.

I've seen just about every make and model of car on you tube too, that doesn't mean I'm going to say that all makes and models in a given price range are built the same way.... sure they have 4 wheels, they go, they stop, they need fuel of some sort, but that's where the similarity ends. Workmanship and quality of the material is what makes something stand out from the crowd

How are you expecting anyone to "prove" that one brand out performs the other ? That is just not possible in my opinion.

I've seen just about every make and model of car on you tube too, that doesn't mean I'm going to say that all makes and models in a given price range are built the same way.... sure they have 4 wheels, they go, they stop, they need fuel of some sort, but that's where the similarity ends. Workmanship and quality of the material is what makes something stand out from the crowd

How are you expecting anyone to "prove" that one brand out performs the other ? That is just not possible in my opinion.

If you seen every make and model, you would know that in this price range they are all basically built the same, some are made for detail, some all purpose, and such. It about the right tool. But lets stick to the general topic if we can. this is veering off course.

If you read my opening, you would know I don't want anyone to prove anything, I just seek a good general review, or some tips on what mods may have seemed to help a brush, or what not to do to your brush. I don't need the biased, this is better than that. That is the gist of this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, I'm sorry,
I misunderstood...............Thread topic: "you want someone to agree with you that All the guns in the 100.00 to 200.00 are basically the same."

sorry, cant do it .... with or without bias.

all makes and models will have pros and cons, those pros and cons will differ with each individual, which will then make them bias to that make/model for that particular reason. . . . . . . .

Noone is saying which performs better, but they do not perform the same.

Badger does have great customer service.

Iwata has great customer service too.
However i can only say that based upon others experience. I have never needed or used either.

I personally own and use 4 different airbrushes regularly.
Own a couple more, and have given away even a couple other ones. Of all those not one of them perform the "same" Even my eclipse Hp sb and hp cs perform a little different. Despite using almost.completely identical parts.

Noone is saying which performs better, but they do not perform the same.

Badger does have great customer service.

Iwata has great customer service too.
However i can only say that based upon others experience. I have never needed or used either.

I personally own and use 4 different airbrushes regularly.
Own a couple more, and have given away even a couple other ones. Of all those not one of them perform the "same" Even my eclipse Hp sb and hp cs perform a little different. Despite using almost.completely identical parts.

They do preform the same if you use the right tool for your needs. A fine detail Badger in this price range will preform the same as a fine detail Iwata in this price range, or a Richpen or others. I haven't seen any proof in one being better than the other, none at all, just biased opinions. An all purpose tool in this price range will preform the same as other all purpose models, it's ridiculous to argue this, because it is a subjective matter, user to user. The parts are all basically the same, I believe Richpen is made in the same factory as Iwata, along with maybe another well known name, not sure about that though, so I shouldn't spout off, but Richpen for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back