The Truth - No Bias!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Don and talk with him frequently at Finescale, we just had a discussion on clipping the trigger springs. I actually posted this for further discussion on what others may find to be useful in mods, or what mistakes they may have made and wish that didn't do. Don offers some great info, although I do feel he is biased towards Badger, but that doesn't make his info less informative. I find many people have unique ways of handling their guns, and it's always fun to hear what others may be doing to make their gear more useful, or handle better.

I've been all through Don's site and to be honest I've never really noticed if he prefers Badger or not, but I could understand if he had a little soft spot for them, I've never owned a badger myself but the reviews are positive for the most part, and when we consider what they cost it's easy to understand why they are a popular choice among model makers, as well as Badgers no nonsense after sales service, had I chosen Badger before I had my iwatas I may well have stuck with them especially since parts are a lot cheaper than what I'm used to.

I had a bad experience with an H&S evolution, but that doesn't mean their brushes are bad altogether, I simply got a bad example, but the experience was bad enough for me to avoid H&S since I now have trust issues and refuse to take the chance.

Some folks here have had problems with Iwata, some with Badger and others with just about every other brand, so when they switch brands to fix the problems they had they naturally become biased since their new acquisitions outperform their old stuff making it their babies, that's why you can't get an unbiased opinion, for any of us to be able to give a decent opinion on other brands we would have to have owned them all and used them all for long periods of time to fully appreciate the differences.

As I said, because my Iwata's do what I need them to do I stick with them and see no need to change or buy anything else, so any opinions I have on brands other than the ones I've owned are purely hearsay.

You mentioned stepping over to art as an extra outlet to your modelling, if you are used to working on a work bench, you can also create art on a work bench, I mean an easel isn't compulsory by any means, I work on a home made magnetic bench easel, @AndreZA works on board resting on a table raised at an angle at the back with coffee tins, so you can just mess around to see what's comfortable for you, but I reckon you already have everything you need to create fine art, except maybe substrate and other suitable paints.

Well the truth , Iwata Eclipse CS is one hell of a work horse and the second airbrush I owned first one I bought being an 40+ year old Paasche Vl was the first I owned that was given to me. After a total rebuild of it I was able to use it but hated it
The next airbrush I bought was my Micron CM-C+ with both the .23 and the .18 set up. mainly use the .23 in it and I am able to get great detail . But it is delicate as far as the thread on the nozzle cap can break. Which required me to have to buy a complete head system. Heavy handed people friendly it is not .
Than came the Badger Krome . While I like the airbrush I have had to replace the nozzle 3 times and have only used it about 10 times But Ken and his crew always took care of me and I have nothing bad to say about the Badger company it just does not fit me as an airbrush.
Next came the H&S Infinity .15 set up. Pain in my ass to clean due to the small size of the internal cup. But Detail is awesome.
Those are the ones I have kept I did try some side feed and bottom feed but none of them suited me .
There is no right brand or wrong brand of airbrush there is practice to get the best performance out of the ones you pick that fits you.
While I will reach for my Iwata's more than the other brushes. Not because they are better but because I like how they weight of them feels . The light weight airbrush makes me feel as if I can squeeze them to tight and break them .
But I will always suggest trying every make and model of airbrush you can get your hands on to see what fits your need and style the best.
What works for one may not work for all .

Oh and on Don Wheeler site I feel he gives a great review on all the airbrushes . Unlike a lot of airbrush sites he seems to put them all through the same test and does not seem to push any brand name over another .
His sharing of knowledge is one of the main things that gives me hope that airbrushing will be around for many years to come.

Last edited:
Its hard not to be biased with a biased based question no matter how you look at it. Unless we are a spitting image of each other then you will never find the truth. The truth is finding the truth for yourself.

I love Iwata!!! ooops

Its hard not to be biased with a biased based question no matter how you look at it. Unless we are a spitting image of each other then you will never find the truth. The truth is finding the truth for yourself.

I love Iwata!!! ooops

I agree. Bias will always happen when you find a product or service that works better for you. I've used plenty of mediocre airbrushes, which is why I gravitate to the quality ones, without mentioning any names of course.

I agree. Bias will always happen when you find a product or service that works better for you. I've used plenty of mediocre airbrushes, which is why I gravitate to the quality ones, without mentioning any names of course.
There are so many factors between different airbrushes anyway that the truth just simply isnt there. Only what people can say they have experienced with them. Like i would say...i love my Hp-C+ because of the versatility from tight detail to fading larger areas. But..... theres that bias word again!!

No, bias is an opinion on what' an individual feels is best, a review is a simple break down of how your guns preforms. Unbiased reviews are given all the time. besides, this isn't what the thread was about. I do not know why it keeps getting pushed in a direction it was not intended. I could easily give a working review of my Precision Aire with out bias. A simple break down of any mod to make it more comfortable. I really do not see the issue, or why so many just cant wrap their minds around what my original thread stated. This isn't a thread about what's best, or what others prefer. I know enough about what's out there and how they work, I don't need , nor did I want biased opinions, I wanted mere breakdowns of what you may have done to your equipment to make it smooth for you, if nothing fine. I wanted to know what you found worked for you with your gun and what didn't, and so forth. that is all. Really very simple, and no bias is needed. If you clipped a spring and your trigger still felt stiff so you clipped one more ring, or you simply replaced it with a shorter spring, do you used needle lube (which I brought up), do you work with fine detail on a daily basis, and does your gun preform as needed consistently with little effort, what size needle do you prefer, acrylics or enamels, how well does your gun handle acrylics with a small needle, that's the stuff I was looking for.

Sure, Iwata's the best, Badgers the best, Richpen's the best, Steenbeck's the best, they are all the best, I get it. The best is what works best for you, and that's a user by user choice. But I specifically stated in my opening paragraph that this thread was not intended for that kind of discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been all through Don's site and to be honest I've never really noticed if he prefers Badger or not, but I could understand if he had a little soft spot for them, I've never owned a badger myself but the reviews are positive for the most part, and when we consider what they cost it's easy to understand why they are a popular choice among model makers, as well as Badgers no nonsense after sales service, had I chosen Badger before I had my iwatas I may well have stuck with them especially since parts are a lot cheaper than what I'm used to.

I had a bad experience with an H&S evolution, but that doesn't mean their brushes are bad altogether, I simply got a bad example, but the experience was bad enough for me to avoid H&S since I now have trust issues and refuse to take the chance.

Some folks here have had problems with Iwata, some with Badger and others with just about every other brand, so when they switch brands to fix the problems they had they naturally become biased since their new acquisitions outperform their old stuff making it their babies, that's why you can't get an unbiased opinion, for any of us to be able to give a decent opinion on other brands we would have to have owned them all and used them all for long periods of time to fully appreciate the differences.

As I said, because my Iwata's do what I need them to do I stick with them and see no need to change or buy anything else, so any opinions I have on brands other than the ones I've owned are purely hearsay.

You mentioned stepping over to art as an extra outlet to your modelling, if you are used to working on a work bench, you can also create art on a work bench, I mean an easel isn't compulsory by any means, I work on a home made magnetic bench easel, @AndreZA works on board resting on a table raised at an angle at the back with coffee tins, so you can just mess around to see what's comfortable for you, but I reckon you already have everything you need to create fine art, except maybe substrate and other suitable paints.

Thanks for the advise on art. I actually have a small folding desk-top easel that I use on occasion, and yes, it usually ends up on my work bench. My art consists of patterns layered upon patterns, a bit advent garde, and really quite silly. I do it just to relax and practice a bit when I am not modeling. I would like to learn much more about making actual art, that's one of the reasons I joined the forum.

So you want to know mods made if any vs thoughts on how they work for us?
This is what I am taking away from you last comment.
Mods on any of my airbrush = NONE! I kept the ones that work for me and how I paint.
the ones I would have modded to fit my needs I sold or gave away .
Is that the answer you are looking for?

So you want to know mods made if any vs thoughts on how they work for use?
This is what I am taking away from you last comment.
Mods on any of my airbrush = NONE! I kept the ones that work for me and how I paint.
the ones I would have modded to fit my needs I sold or gave away .
Is that the answer you are looking for?

Not just mods, anything that makes your life easier with what you use, your approach and so forth. That was the gist behind this thread, and I stated that in my first post.

And yes, I was basically looking for reply's like yours. I found I like my triggers to be less stiff, so different springs are added or I clip a ring and gently file the end to alleviate any scraping. My Precision Aire felt fine, but my VL, Talon, and 150 all were mod'ed. It made a world of difference on my Talon.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, bias is an opinion on what' an individual feels is best, a review is a simple break down of how your guns preforms. Unbiased reviews are given all the time. besides, this isn't what the thread was about. I do not know why it keeps getting pushed in a direction it was not intended. I could easily give a working review of my Precision Aire with out bias. A simple break down of any mod to make it more comfortable. I really do not see the issue, or why so many just cant wrap their minds around what my original thread stated. This isn't a thread about what's best, or what others prefer. I know enough about what's out there and how they work, I don't need , nor did I want biased opinions, I wanted mere breakdowns of what you may have done to your equipment to make it smooth for you, if nothing fine. I wanted to know what you found worked for you with your gun and what didn't, and so forth. that is all. Really very simple, and no bias is needed. If you clipped a spring and your trigger still felt stiff so you clipped one more ring, or you simply replaced it with a shorter spring, do you used needle lube (which I brought up), do you work with fine detail on a daily basis, and does your gun preform as needed consistently with little effort, what size needle do you prefer, acrylics or enamels, how well does your gun handle acrylics with a small needle, that's the stuff I was looking for.

Sure, Iwata's the best, Badgers the best, Richpen's the best, Steenbeck's the best, they are all the best, I get it. The best is what works best for you, and that's a user by user choice. But I specifically stated in my opening paragraph that this thread was not intended for that kind of discussion.

To make things simple you could have called the Thread "How do you tune your Airbrush?"

"What kind of airbrush do you use, and what mods have you done to make it work better for you?"

Your post was all over the place and worded kind of standoffish.

You said yourself you have read thousands of reviews..... so you cant come to a conclusion yourself???? Again, every brush has different uses for ones PERSONAL needs and customized for their PERSONAL needs based on their opinions on what the individual feels is best (stated by you above from the definition of bias) Now that is TRUTH! This has been stirred around so much the spoon is wore out.

Thanks for the advise on art. I actually have a small folding desk-top easel that I use on occasion, and yes, it usually ends up on my work bench. My art consists of patterns layered upon patterns, a bit advent garde, and really quite silly. I do it just to relax and practice a bit when I am not modeling. I would like to learn much more about making actual art, that's one of the reasons I joined the forum.

Well there are plenty of helpful SBS's in the relevant section of the forum, but you can obviously ask anything you want that you think is appropriate to what you want do, what is your preference, i.e. portraits, landscapes, animals etc, to be honest, if you are managing to decent detailing into position your midels your pretty much underway, similar to your models, you basically be painting shapes in such a way that when they all together correctly that make up an image, if you're weathering and aging techniques these skills are also relevant, I think you'll find that your probably a lot closer to your goal than you may think.

You said yourself you have read thousands of reviews..... so you cant come to a conclusion yourself???? Again, every brush has different uses for ones PERSONAL needs and customized for their PERSONAL needs based on their opinions on what the individual feels is best (stated by you above from the definition of bias) Now that is TRUTH! This has been stirred around so much the spoon is wore out.
You have completely missed the point of the thread. Completely. I don't know how else to explain it to you. I do not need an opinion on what you think is best. I want to know what your doing with your guns , what works for you and what doesn't. It's simple, I really cant make it any simpler to understand.

You have completely missed the point of the thread. Completely. I don't know how else to explain it to you. I do not need an opinion on what you think is best, I already have made upo my mind on thatnd what doesn't. It's simple, I really cant make it any simpler to understand.
You have completely missed the point of the thread. Completely. I don't know how else to explain it to you. I do not need an opinion on what you think is best. I want to know what your doing with your guns , what works for you and what doesn't. It's simple, I really cant make it any simpler to understand.

Did i make it too hard to comprehend what im saying??? Lose the tude dude

You have completely missed the point of the thread. Completely. I don't know how else to explain it to you. I do not need an opinion on what you think is best, I already have made upo my mind on thatnd what doesn't. It's simple, I really cant make it any simpler to understand.
To make things simple you could have called the Thread "How do you tune your Airbrush?"

"What kind of airbrush do you use, and what mods have you done to make it work better for you?"

Your post was all over the place and worded kind of standoffish.
If that was all I was looking for sure, but reading my opening paragraphs pretty mush lays it all out. I wanted to hear how others are handling their guns and what makes life easier or difficult for them, it's much more than tuning your brush. I don't know why this seem so difficult for some to understand.

Did i make it too hard to comprehend what im saying??? Lose the tude dude

First and foremost, you're giving me an attitude. I have been polite with a multitude of questions. If you can not respond to me in a similar manner please leave this thread, you do not have to post here, you do so by choice. It is you who should lose that what? "tude"? really?

And it is more than obvious you haven't comprehended anything I stated.

First and foremost, your giving me an attitude. I have been polite with a multitude of questions. If you can not respond to me in a similar manner please leave this thread, you do not have to post here, you do so by choice. It is you who should lose that what? "tude"? really?

And it is more than obvious you haven't comprehended anything I stated.
What planet are you from? Seriously?

What planet are you from? Seriously?

I don't have any clue what you are talking about. If you don't have any thing to add, I suggest leaving the thread. It's obvious you are upset for whatever reason, so to save you any such grief you have the choice to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back