Thick paint?

K

kjt1010

Newbie question. I have started to build a collection of paint and bought from various sources both online and brick and mortars. I have found there to be a huge difference in paint viscosity consistency within the same brand of paint from different sources. Just bought a bunch of Com-Art and Creatix from a Blick store. They shook up easily and came out of the bottle almost like they were ready to spray(which I am pretty sure they are supposed to be). I have also bought these same brands from other retailers and they squeeze out like yogurt. Can you put some drops of reducer in the bottle and shake it to help it out or just wait til you mix? Is this a common problem and like iother things, where you buy...matters?? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Within a brand you’ll notice different viscosities - usually color related eg: the blue may be thicker than the yellow

Don’t add reducers to the bottle, you risk shortening the shelf life of the paint.

Sometimes environmental factors can cause paint to thicken/go bad. They dont like being ‘frozen’

The Createx “ready to spray” usually relates to higher psi than what most here will use,
The lower the psi, the less overspray you get, the more control you have but the paint needs to be thinner to flow better

Com-Art paint, from my limited experience, is pretty much ready to use out of the bottle. Haven't needed to reduce it yet.
Createx is a different beast [aka Hell Hound] altogether as Jackie and Husky pointed out. It does need reducing to spray at lower pressures and the reducer does trigger a reaction in the paint which means it should used within 72 hours (48 is better). When I have time, I need to sort through my Createx stuff since I picked up much of it in the winter from online vendors. They could have been nipped by Mr. Freeze. Maybe that's been part of my issue with Createx paints all along:sus:
Gelled paints are definitely NFG. You may be able to write the vendor and get replacements if they were like that from the store.

I have bought the same bottle of wicked in the same color from the same store one month and go back the next and it will be different and different again the next. Its a roullette wheel IME. No matter where you buy it.
But, If they shake easy and come out really thin theres also a good chance you simply have a good solid clump at the bottom and you havent shaken it nearly enough yet.
Com-art doesnt have this problem that i know of.

Yep, theres a chance reducer in the bottle can make the paint go bad early. I'm not sure anyone really knows how early, we just know that its ok for at least 72hrs and could do something bad at an undetermined amount of time after that.

Have a search for ratios and psi on the forum and youll get some good general ideas of where to start.

I bought a bottle of 4030 about a month ago, finally got around today to opening it up and try it out and.... totally gelled up hard on me lol, looking for the receipt from Hobby Lobby.

Back