Thinning Acrylic based paints for thin lines...

J

Jonas

Hi guys,
my question has to do with getting thin lines for portrait and detail work with Acrylic based colors. My brush is an Iwatta Hp-c .3mm. I'm using it at no more than 20psi, and using Createx "Airbrush Colors" series. I mention the paint specifically because I know alcohol works against an acrylic base. I'm currently using Hydrogen peroxide to dilute it, and it does a good job. My problem is that sometimes, depending on color, it will either thin it too much (get the spider legs) or if its too thick it will tend to not easily flow and sometimes spit, pulse my lines. I'm using a moisture trap at the compressor and brush, so I'm ruling that out. I have no problem with using my Iwata Hp-cs .5 for large coverage, but working with the thinner tip is proving a real challenge sometimes and SO frustrating. Also, I've found that the only good cleaner for my brush is Windex, really cleans it out good, but have read to NOT use it as it may eat the finish. I hate to tare my gun appart everytime I'm done working. Any other way around cleaning it also?
Thanks guys.

I use createx alot because that is what is available to me locally until recently. I have not tried to use peroxide to dilute it, so I am not sure if that is contributing to your problem. I have bought a ton of paint from createx so I don't feel bad telling you this is kind of a crappy paint. It is a textile paint and should be used for t-shirts- which it works great for. They make a illustration base (which you will prob have to find online) for thinning the opaques and water can be used to thin the transparents.

Drop the peroxide (leave it for the bottle blondes) denatured alcohol 25% + filtered pure water + 1 drop of glycerin per ounce Best home brew you can make.
Different colors will reduce differently depending on the MFG and color. How fine the pigment is ground and so on . So if you are getting spidering drop the air pressure.
fine detail for me is 5 PSI and under.
Also try and get a hold of either the Wicked line or the illustration line by Createx. Standard Createx is designed for T-shirt and textiles. It is not light fast which means in time the color will fade even under a UV clear coat.
It also helps us help you if you had an introduction posted to tells us a little more about yourself.
Ie..Which country do you live in .That would make suggestion like where to buy certain items more useful to you.
Also there is only so much detail that can be done with a .3 or .5
fine detail usually is .23(Micron CM-C+) and lower

Also windex will take the chrome off .
Restore (made by Createx ) works great or a good soak in denature alcohol
Also super lube is your friend.. (No OIL)

Last edited:
Also windex will take the chrome off . Restore (made by Createx ) works great or a good soak in denature alcohol Also super lube is your friend.. (No OIL)[/QUOTE said:
Not meaning to hyjack this thread.....I live in southern Ontario, Canada and I can't find "denature alcohol"
Is it called something else here?
Cheers

Not meaning to hyjack this thread.....I live in southern Ontario, Canada and I can't find "denature alcohol"
Is it called something else here?
Cheers

It's sometimes called "Surgical Spirits" normally available at the pharmacist, a;though you could find it at a piercing salon.

I also found this description from a manufacturer which might help:

Recochem’s Denatured Alcohol is a complement to our extensive line of thinners, cleaners, and fuels. This high-grade ethanol is combined with methanol and other denaturant agents to create a multi-purpose solvent for use around the home and garage.

The primary uses of Denatured Alcohol are:

Thinning – use to thin shellac based finishes and improve leveling, reduce viscosity, and increase penetration.

Cleaning – a superior, fast-evaporating cleaner that can be used to clean glass, metal, printing inks, shoe polish stains, and porcelain. It can also be used to clean untreated wood surfaces after sanding and shellac brushes after use.

Cooking – well suited for use in Marine alcohol stoves or as a fuel source in applications requiring alcohol fuel. It burns hot without an objectionable odor or sooty residue, when used according to stove manufacturers’ recommendations.

Note: Denatured Alcohol is not recommended for use as a general purpose cleaner.

Hope this helps :)

Thanx everyone for the help!
Now back to the regularly scheduled thread......
Cheers

twood,
I found Denatured Alchohol not in the pharmacy, but in a Walmart isle for paint products. I wouldn't be surprised if you would find it at a boat parts store as it seems to have a lot of marine applications. Hope that helps.

I might also suggest trying out some different paints, if they're available to you. I switched over from HOK years ago, and had a real problem finding something I could spray with any consistency. I went through a bunch until I finally landed on my go to paint. Of course a lot depends on what surface I'm painting on and its intended application. I don't do many portraits or illustrations, so I haven't worked with many of the illustration paints. I do 90% of my work on hard surfaces, guitars, helmets, tans, etc... and I found that for me, my airbrush, and my painting style, E'tac private stock, thinned with water, and with just a couple of drops of the AG modifier, works exactly as I want them to. For t-shirts, I like a lot of the different textile paints, but I'm generally using a .3 or larger setup and much higher PSI, so its a different animal than trying to get some detail work done.

Auto air and wicked are decent paints, and I use them from time to time when I need a particular color or effect, but I use their reducers. Some people swear by wicked and auto air, but I just can't it to flow exactly as I like it.

I'd say just keep experimenting... change up how much you thin each color, play with the PSI, and you'll start to find setups that suit you.

Hello, you can find isopropyl alcohol up to 99.9% at amazon, a gallon cost about $25.00, not that you would ever need that much.

denatured alcohol is different than isopropyl....
Since this was originally posted, i did find what I was looking for. It is called methyl hydrate here in Canada and it is used for moisture control in diesel engines gas tanks and fuel for alcohol camping and boating stoves. I mix it 1 to 3 with distilled water and use it as an airbrush cleaner.
Cheers

Back