Thinning Solvent Based Automotive BC/IC paints??

O

OldFatBald

Hello all,
Another newb question here, I tried to search for an answer to my current question but couldn’t find one – and I looked for well over a minute! I am NOT ADD! Moving on!

I am spraying solvent based automotive paints;
BC (Base Coats)
CC (Clear Coats)
IC (Inter-Coats which are just base coat materials without any tinting/dyes/coloring agents)

Only the CC have hardeners which more than likely I will NOT be spraying out of the airbrush.

I will be using only BC and the IC with candies/pearls added and no hardeners. The BC and IC do get thinned.

Once I receive my Iwata SBS and the weather warms up I want to get back to shooting color and start on some test panels. I have never used an airbrush before, and I will be ordering the Iwata Eclipse HP-SBS Autographics airbrush

My (somewhat long winded) question is regarding thinning down the solvent based automotive paint for a .35 mm tip.
When I shoot my automotive BC & IC I use either a 1.3 or 1.4 tip.
  • Do I need to thin down the solvent automotive BC and IC paints more than I usually do to account for the smaller airbrush tip size?

I've run catalyzed auto clear through mine. SHOuldn't be a problem, sometimes I thin it, sometimes no. You gotta try. Adjust air and thin if necessary for everything.

Possibly yes, I started off spraying automotive paints as that's all there was then, so when you get the airbrush give them a try, bump the pressure up a bit, start at 30 psi. Start by using drops from a pipette, this will be the best way (controlled measurements) so start with 1 or 2 drops of paint no thinners. The worst that happens is it doesn't spray un-thinned. If it doesn't spray try a 1 thinners / 1 paint mixture then 2 / 1 etc etc till it sprays how you like it at 30 psi. Its basically what we do when we have new paint to find out the optimum paint to reducer mixture to spray with. hope this helps.

Lee

Back