Thread sealer alternative.

AndreZA

Air-Valve Autobot!
I had a little accident with my compressor and it meant I had to replace a few connectors and junctions. Even though I bought all the part in one place and the same brand, it still fitted a bit loose. PTFE tape did not help and I tried something a local compressor agent recommended. I used Loc-tite blue. You cover the thread nice and thick and screw it on. Let it dry a few hours and voila. I have a perfect seal and with the blue you can take it apart without too much trouble.

I WILL NOT RECOMMEND THIS ON THE AIRBRUSH ITSELF!

I had a little accident with my compressor and it meant I had to replace a few connectors and junctions. Even though I bought all the part in one place and the same brand, it still fitted a bit loose. PTFE tape did not help and I tried something a local compressor agent recommended. I used Loc-tite blue. You cover the thread nice and thick and screw it on. Let it dry a few hours and voila. I have a perfect seal and with the blue you can take it apart without too much trouble.

I WILL NOT RECOMMEND THIS ON THE AIRBRUSH ITSELF!

Have you actually tried to loosen it? we use locktite blue to stop the screws on our model helicopters from loosening during flight, if we want to remove the screws we have to heat them first, and this could be dangerous next to a pressurised tank.

Plumbers use a special material for sealing pressurised joints on central heating and gas pipes, I think this would be a more sensible alternative to loctite, I'm not sure what the material is called but I'm sure someone will chip in and tell us.

Have you actually tried to loosen it? we use locktite blue to stop the screws on our model helicopters from loosening during flight, if we want to remove the screws we have to heat them first, and this could be dangerous next to a pressurised tank.

Plumbers use a special material for sealing pressurised joints on central heating and gas pipes, I think this would be a more sensible alternative to loctite, I'm not sure what the material is called but I'm sure someone will chip in and tell us.

Yes I had to take it apart again because I fit the ball valve the wrong way around (stop laughing, it can happen to anybody). And in the bicycle industry we used it alot and never had any issue with having to heat it and we used it on small aluminium, aluminum for the yanks, parts. I know the red needs to be heated to loosen it.

Yes I had to take it apart again because I fit the ball valve the wrong way around (stop laughing, it can happen to anybody). And in the bicycle industry we used it alot and never had any issue with having to heat it and we used it on small aluminium, aluminum for the yanks, parts. I know the red needs to be heated to loosen it.

I think if it's been sitting for a longer time it gets even harder, on the helicopters it sits for months and usually only needs to be loosened in the event of a crash, the screws are sometimes in carbon fibre which will break with too much force so the heat is necessary to prevent that.

And I'm in no position to laugh at anyone, my mother used to say I was the blueprint for stupid people, lol

I think if it's been sitting for a longer time it gets even harder, on the helicopters it sits for months and usually only needs to be loosened in the event of a crash, the screws are sometimes in carbon fibre which will break with too much force so the heat is necessary to prevent that.

And I'm in no position to laugh at anyone, my mother used to say I was the blueprint for stupid people, lol

They clearly state it is removable and on the bicycles you strip it down once every year or two.

I've always heard it called "plumber's putty" - they use it for natural gas lines, so it's got to be good for a compressor.

For the airbrush I read a tip recently that seemed more practical than teflon tape - Beeswax. A cheap and easy source is to get the sealing ring that fits between a toilet and the main down-pipe. I may give it a try - I just worry that it'll be too sticky and be a mess to remove/clean up.

They clearly state it is removable and on the bicycles you strip it down once every year or two.

The locktite we use has to be a different stuff, we definitely can't remove the screws without heat, but it is removable, there has to be absolutely no chance that any of the screws could shake loose during flight, if one the rotor blades came loose it would almost certainly go through someone, the stuff the guys use at the field is called loctite and it's blue, I use another called threadlock which is also blue but comes from a German manufacturer.

I've had the same bicycle for 8 years and it's never been stripped, having said that it's also never been used, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always heard it called "plumber's putty" - they use it for natural gas lines, so it's got to be good for a compressor.

For the airbrush I read a tip recently that seemed more practical than teflon tape - Beeswax. A cheap and easy source is to get the sealing ring that fits between a toilet and the main down-pipe. I may give it a try - I just worry that it'll be too sticky and be a mess to remove/clean up.

I think your right Swankfive, but if it's right it also has fibres mixed in with it, I know if you get it on your fingers it's like excrement to a blanket and damn near impossible to get off.

The locktite we use has to be a different stuff, we definitely can't remove the screws without heat, but it is removable, there has to be absolutely no chance that any of the screws could shake loose during flight, if one the rotor blades came loose it would almost certainly go through someone, the stuff the guys use at the field is called loctite and it's blue, I use another called threadlock which is also blue but comes from a German manufacturer.

I've had the same bicycle for 8 years and it's never been stripped, having said that it's also never been used, lol

This is the stuff here. Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 from Loctite Adhesives and it clearly states "Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. "

I'm sure the bicycle you have is not really a bicycle but a BSO (bicycle shaped object). You don't buy a bicycle and not do anything with it. ;-)

This is the stuff here. Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 from Loctite Adhesives and it clearly states "Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. "

I'm sure the bicycle you have is not really a bicycle but a BSO (bicycle shaped object). You don't buy a bicycle and not do anything with it. ;-)

Now it seems I owe you an apology, our guys are actually using the green version which does require heat Loctite Threadlocker Green 290 from Loctite Adhesives what confused me is the fact that my own is actually blue despite doing the same job, I checked out some the guys yesterday at the field and their's is more like a greenish blue, my own is the same bright blue as etching primer.

As for the bicycle shaped object, my wife bought it for me, but when she did, she didn't give a thought to whether or not she could ever get me on it, and I lied, I said I've never used it, but I vaguely remember sitting on it for about 15 seconds while it was still in the shop, lol

Yes I had to take it apart again because I fit the ball valve the wrong way around (stop laughing, it can happen to anybody)./QUOTE]

Don't be ashamed André, i do this for years and still make mistakes on a regular base. A good tip i can give you assemble first without loctite and mark the positions with a marker before you glue the things together, because to much manipulating after the glueing will causes leaks in your system and you have to start all over again.

Don't be ashamed André, i do this for years and still make mistakes on a regular base. A good tip i can give you assemble first without loctite and mark the positions with a marker before you glue the things together, because to much manipulating after the glueing will causes leaks in your system and you have to start all over again.

Now this is where I actually have to drop my head in shame. I had the whole thing assembled to check if all lines up. Took it apart and glued the tap on wrong way around. But I know why. I left it in the "open" position so you could not really tell from a glance which way is which.

Back