Tip dry combat for wicked

Robbyrockett2

Air-Valve Autobot!
Well I decided i'd try and do some junk airbrushing with folkart multi surface. It works fine, the pigment grind is small enough that even the white showed no issues spraying form a .2 nozzle once thinned enough with some 4012 or with windex like glass cleaner. The adhesion is actually slightly better than wicked, even on plastics, even the worst plastics , PET and lexan. The light fastness is rated very high.

The problem, It takes forever to dry. It feels like oil paint if you rub it between your fingers un thinned. A dusting takes 5 minutes to dry to the touch. A light coat takes 20.

So it wasn't a good candidate for most AB work.

It does seem to be completely compatible with wicked though. So, I started using it to adjust dry times for wicked. i just add the same color to same color.

With a little bit added the dry time on the wicked increases and of course consequently tip dry actually reduces dramatically by simply adding enough to make the wicked take a few seconds longer to dry.

In the future I'd like to try using the folkart enamel clear medium in the same manner to eliminate the color having to be the same.

Anyways, It's about $1.30 a bottle if you want to try it. That clear medium is about &2.60 If someone else gets to it before I do.

If I can find a means of making it dry faster (maybe 4011) it would actually be an awesome paint by itself. Which is not that surprising.
It's kind of like with house paint. Why can you buy a gallon of paint that will go on with little to no prep work, last 20 years with zero maintenance, Apply easily and yet it still costs $30? Because it is by far the largest paint market, with the highest demands and the most competition and the most R+D money. People with no paint knowledge are often the most demanding ,they just expect to be able to slap it on and have it work.
Well the craft paint market is the same way.
I will not be surprised when I find a craft paint that outperforms airbrush paints honestly.

Kinda forgot about this thread. I've actually started using this paint on its own a lot for playing around mostly. Odd as it seems, It just likes water.
Using any kind of reducer with anything else in it for some reason vastly increases dry time but water alone works fine and it dries at a normal rate.

Kinda forgot about this thread. I've actually started using this paint on its own a lot for playing around mostly. Odd as it seems, It just likes water.
Using any kind of reducer with anything else in it for some reason vastly increases dry time but water alone works fine and it dries at a normal rate.
Using hair dryer like when you do when you airbrush t-shirt?

Using hair dryer like when you do when you airbrush t-shirt?
IDK, havent really tried it that way. Since I found straight water to work well to reduce with. I imagine that would work though.
When I put it into wicked I use a small amount and take advantage of the slightly extended dry time to reduce tip dry.

I've sprayed folk art, Americana and apple barrel all through my eclipse. Used plain water and I've used the 4012 reducer. Never used it in wicked. I've used it ON wicked but never mixed it with it. Might have to experiment sometime. Americana paints are highly light fast and if heat set are machine washable and dishwasher safe (supposedly, not tried it out yet)

I've sprayed folk art, Americana and apple barrel all through my eclipse. Used plain water and I've used the 4012 reducer. Never used it in wicked. I've used it ON wicked but never mixed it with it. Might have to experiment sometime. Americana paints are highly light fast and if heat set are machine washable and dishwasher safe (supposedly, not tried it out yet)
Keep in mind this is specifically folkart multi-surface, same deal with the heat setting, supposedly even on glass.
It would be interesting to see if the americana youre referring to acts the same way since it should be an analog for the multi-surface.
Possibly not, if you didnt experience the very long dry times when using the americana with 4012

Its not subtle, folkart multi-surface with 4012 takes ages to dry

Back