Toddler safe paint?

Another good read that reiterates some of the other stuff: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodworking-tips-1103mar/askthestaff.html.

The jist is for an outer coating almost any coating (except some marine finishes) will be safe (even for small amounts of consumption) once cured. So, doing just a clear should be totally safe. As for color, most of what I have read states acrylic paints also dry to a non toxic state. An added layer of protection (figuratively and literally) can be had by using clear coat of shellac to lock it in.

PS: No response from Etac yet. Emailed them via the "contact us" pade on their site.

Good question. Maybe I am being a little lax about this, but, I am getting the feeling there is a lot of concerns about something of little danger. Seems to me most of the dangers are in the paint in its uncured form (not including metallic and paint with known metal additives). If there were truly a great risk, you wouldn’t see painted items for toddlers. If not a great risk, does that mean there is then a small risk then? Maybe, but unlikely in my opinion. In this litigious age I would think if there were issues related to this procedure/product that law suits would have been in abundance and manufactures would have stopped the process long ago.

For a large company to specify in their materials that the product in its dried state is non-toxic, hypoallergenic, and ideal for kids toys and furniture is bold. A large company would not ever document something so clearly and obviously without having tested that first. Rockler is also another large company around for many years. For them to advise not only a specific product, but several of them specifically for toys is huge.

I think one just needs to be responsible in it’s use. I’m not sure I would paint my kids wooden pacifier and let them chew and suck on it all day. I am however starting to feel quite comfortable painting a toy that will be used under my supervision. As an added precaution I will also monitor it for wear and chipping. That’s my thought as of now at least. Still looking to read and learn a little more.

Oh, and yes that was about wood finishes. For these projects I would not be using the 2 part clear so it would be a wood paint product for sealing.

Dont think your being lax at all m8, good to see your concerned enough to research it. Ultimately whats truly safe and what isn't is a great unknown. We bring our kids up besides highways, feed them foods that are GM and grown in a soup of chemicals and likely pump them full of other things that could do much more harm potentially..I think paint is prob pretty low on the list of things I'd be truly concerned about..Point is 50 years ago we thought lead was safe because they told us it was..kids cots painted in the stuff and then the problems about lead poisoning came out..I really don't think our society has moved on from that testing aspect on ourselves and our kids and lets hope its OK rather than really study it at great cost..But if you at least research it as good as you can, draw your own conclusions from that research at least it helps you sleep at night feeling you've done the best you can to find out..:)

Back