For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Toddler T-shirt

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by GeeDonV, Mar 18, 2017.

1. GeeDonV

GeeDonV Double Actioner

Hello, this is a T-shirt that I've recently done,
    I'm using both Taiwanese made ab with 0.3mm&0.2mm nozzle, I'm using wicked opaque primary colours for the whole project(since that's the only stuff i got) and to thinning I'm using home brew diy reducer. . Wish to get any useful comments, tips or advices from anyone here. Thanks .

Sent from my vivo Y31L
  2. GeeDonV

GeeDonV Double Actioner

[​IMG]

Sent from my vivo Y31L
  3. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Good work - off to a great start.
    GeeDonV likes this.
  4. GeeDonV

GeeDonV Double Actioner

Thanks for the kind words.. For a moment i can say that im on the right track to begin..

Sent from my vivo Y31L
    markjthomson likes this.
  5. Airbrush Dreams

Airbrush Dreams Detail Decepticon!

Looks nice. If all you have is Opaque just remember to adjust your values by mixing and tinting colors. That way you can build depth in your images because once you reach full saturation the color won't darken. T-shirts are fun to do and you don't have to leave your artwork at home on the wall. Keep it up and welcome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    GeeDonV likes this.
  6. GeeDonV

GeeDonV Double Actioner

Thank you very much for the useful advice, and thanks for the compliment.. If i may ask, can i have a little deep explanation for the value adjustment also how it works in a simple way. I think i got what it means but I'm not quite sure if i got it correctly. Thanks

Sent from my vivo Y31L
    Airbrush Dreams likes this.
  7. IPT

IPT Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

I think what Fred is talking about is the darkness or lightness of a color. If say your opaque yellow has a value of darkness of 5 (0-10 scale) then no matter how much you spray it will never get darker than 5. If you mixed in some white you could raise the value to say a 6 or 7, and if you added black drop to a 3 or 4. In contrast, Candies and transparents get darker and darker the more layers you spray. So you can "overshoot" and make a color too dark if your not careful. That's my take on it at least, I;m sure Fred will chime in

Looks good. My only comment is watch out for outlining in black. Edges in nature are not defined by an outline but really from dark and light edges created by.....values of color :). I may be wrong, but I think line one and three are values and the second where you add grey really just reduces the color saturation.

value scale2.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    GeeDonV likes this.
  8. GeeDonV

GeeDonV Double Actioner

I won't talk about you were right or wrong up there because I'm not qualified enough, but still it was informative and good explanation.. Thanks, well I must confess that I'm lack of colour knowledge, I'm trying to mix a colour somehow, adjusting the warmness. But I'm not aware enough about the layers by layers matter here.. Thanks

Sent from my vivo Y31L
  9. Airbrush Dreams

Airbrush Dreams Detail Decepticon!

Could not have said it better than IPT just did. If you have ever painted with Oil paints on a canvas then it is the same idea. Oil paints are opaque colors and once on the canvas they are at full saturation and can't get darker unless you tint the color to make it darker or lighter. With transparent colors you can make the color darker by layering the same color over increasing its value. So in essence with opaque paint you need to mix each tonal value for each color to create depth in your final painting. I.E. the curve of a face with the highlights being the brightest value and the shadows being the darkest. In time this will become easier and second nature so don't worry too much. There was an artist by the name of Micheal Astrachan who only painted T-Shirts with opaque paint. You would have to seek out his portrait work from back in old issues of Airbrush Actuon or from T-Shirt Airbrushing A Step By Step Guide. It was published back in the 80s.

Also the warmth of a color is controlled by adding red tints to your base color and to cool a color you shift to a blue hue. It can become very confusing to the mind. I have always used a mix of opaque colors and transparent colors. My base layers were always opaque and the I would mist transparent colors over the top to warm or cool an area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017