Tracing app

So, instead of a board that you lay your ipad on, can you use google goggles or an HTC vibe?

good question phaze:thumbsup: It might move when your trying to draw it as your head would move to much I think

Looks interesting, i dunno if i would be using it though. I prefer the old methods.

Lee

Gave this a try....it's weird....for me at least, I just couldn't get to grips with drawing while watching what I'm drawing on a screen [emoji15] great idea though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watched it, bought it, tried it, love it.
Thanks heaps for sharing this.

Arron

I tried out an android version that worked quite well. The android one is free, the iphone one costs about $5.
First time using it I made a recognizable skull with mayan carvings on it. I put my phone on my magnifying lamp. The lamp wasn't very stable so it moved a bit. Its definitely something I will use again

Another bit of amazing tech...they are making it too easy ;) LOL. On the good side it brings more to the fold, will make it more accessible to some who really struggle with drawing. In reality not real different from old school projection, just comes with built in perks LOL On the flip side and glad the video maker did mention some of the views some will take on it. What it may essentially do is just bring more realism over imagination into it all. If realism's a goal or matching a portrait I think I'll get it to use in those occasions, awesome app in that sense but some traditionalists I think will view realism with even more disdain than some already do, I've spent 20 years learning how to draw to a high degree of realism if I desire it and such apps essentially remove that curve, good for some with little time but I consider sometimes the journey more important than the destination.(Gotta fix the ipad screen though as I'll see 20 images LOL) Could imagine a fair bit of eye strain comes with it though in extended use. I get headaches by breathing LOL so hope that's not the case but its def something I would use or try in some cases or when I cant be bothered shaping something out a little more fluidity but for some who have invested so many years of their life learning something will no longer stand out in the crowd for their ability to realistically create and in that sense I think its unfortunate. It really does start to blur that line of is it cheating or not and for me steps over that line just a little LOL, but so does a lot of things to other people so each to their own..i'd happily use it especially for commission work as most of that for me is portraiture and rely on projection anyway to simply keep it as cheap as possible for my customer for that as many tradionalists do also but won't admit LOL, but for most other more creative needs will rely on that image in my head for most part..good find and thanks for posting it..Will def look into it some more.

When you actually use the ap its actually quite hard to use and distinctly un-fun. Ignore the marketing hype and the video - maybe you could do a decent portrait with it if you were already a skilled drawer and had a lot of time but most skilled drawers will find it puts them backwards.

What it's good for is putting on some quick layout lines, or for the terminally hopeless drawers like me.

Well I was intrigued by this app so yesterday I made a stand for my Ipad from scrap pine. I figured it was necessary to have a good stand to get it stable and get the best out of it.

Anyway, it takes a bit of getting used to - but this was attempt number three. Took about 20mins. It might not seem like much to a skilled drawer but to someone as artistically-challenged as me its a wonder.

What application it has to airbrushing exactly I'm not experience enough to say.

cheers
Arron

lucidaAp.jpg

Well I was intrigued by this app so yesterday I made a stand for my Ipad from scrap pine. I figured it was necessary to have a good stand to get it stable and get the best out of it.

Anyway, it takes a bit of getting used to - but this was attempt number three. Took about 20mins. It might not seem like much to a skilled drawer but to someone as artistically-challenged as me its a wonder.

What application it has to airbrushing exactly I'm not experience enough to say.

cheers
Arron

View attachment 45457

It looks good to me, now you have good basis for a stunning drawing or painting,, all you need to ad some shading and such if you want a drawing or add some colour and shading if you want a painting, nice job on the stand too:thumbsup:

I need to make a stand.... and would be nice if the android version worked on tablet, but it says phone only =(

I bought the app also for the times I don't feel like pulling out the projector. I may use my old helmet stand to make a stand out of. Now I know I am being dumb, but is there a preferred distance for this set up. Reason I ask is if you want to do a 16" by 20" painting as apposed to an 8" by 10" painting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the app also for the times I don't feel like pulling out the projector. I may use my old helmet stand to make a stand out of. Now I know I am being dumb, but is there a preferred distance for this set up. Reason I ask is if you want to do a 16" by 20" painting as apposed to an 8" by 10" painting.

I don't know. Maybe the distance is determined between what you reach is. If yo want to sit with your elbows bent you need to drop the tablet. I'm also pretty sure the further you are from the drawing surface will allow you to draw bigger but you will still need to watch the tablet while you draw.

If you can learn to draw with one foot while balancing on the other, the sky's the limit, I can't see that being too difficult, I just watched a girl on America's got talent shoot a bow and arrow backwards with her feet:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: that woos Simon Cowell was terrified the whole time, I gave her a round of applause (with my hands:() just for that, she didn't have to do the rest of the act:)

I don't know. Maybe the distance is determined between what you reach is. If yo want to sit with your elbows bent you need to drop the tablet. I'm also pretty sure the further you are from the drawing surface will allow you to draw bigger but you will still need to watch the tablet while you draw.
Exactly. So if it is greater than your reach than you need to use a paired device to watch what you are doing. My thoughts is I can do the drawings to a small size then pop the line drawing on my opaque projector and enlarge to any size. This will save money on printer ink. Plus you won't get confused when there is light interference since the projection is not alway sharp edges. Some times I forget to hit my intelligence key on my brain. [emoji23]

I've been doing a little sniffing around and found really interesting, although for some possibly boring stuff, but I found it interesting and that's all that matters, lol

Anyway, down to the serious business end of it, it turns out that this app along with several other free and paid apps on the app store and google play are derived from a non digital version of the same app featured here, the non digital version has been in use since it was first patented in 1807 by William Hyde Wollaston, however the basic optics arrangements were discussed by some geezer called Johannes Kepler in 1611, since he never made a working of it, Wollaston's patent was never challenged, the device was named the Camera lucida" which is Latin meaning Camera = chamber and Lucida = light, therefore, light chamber, the camera lucida was a follow on and improvement on another device called the "camera obscura" also Latin meaning dark chamber, this one derives from a natural phenomenon where light on and around an object would be projected through a small pin hole in another object such as a wall and subsequently be projected inverted onto a third object such as an adjacent wall, for this to work or be visible the third object would need to have less light than the object being projected, apparently historical artists used this phenomenon and the camera lucida to create precise paintings/drawings of their subjects, the camera obscura made way for the invention of the photo camera in 1833 by William Fox Talbot who decided he would prefer a permanent imprint of the image being projected since trying to keep a steady hand was more than difficult for him.

An advanced artist called David Hockney wrote a book called the "secret knowledge, rediscovering the lost techniques of old masters" and this is worth a quick glance:)

looking at the schematic for the camera lucida any one of us could build one in jig time using stuff lying around the house, and it would take not much longer than building a stand for your i-pad, I know I have built far more complicated devices and it would be to me a piece of cake, it would environmentally friendly and save battery life on your digital devices.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

In conclusion, the next time someone asks "Isn't projecting images cheating?" the answer you give is " No, it bloody well isn't because that conniving liar and all round cheating bastard Da Vinci did it and if it's good enough for him, it's damn well good enough for me".

In case anyone else is as tight arsed as me and want to make one of their own so as to save a few bob on the app as well as battery life, here is the schematic;

CameraL2.gif
Note: "half silvered glass" is basically a transparent mirror, you could use that mirrored stick on foil that some folks stick to their car windows because they think it makes the car look really really cool when in actual fact they just get laughed at:thumbsup:

Back