transfer paper for detailed drawings

C

Calibur454

I was wondering what kind of transfer paper could be used to transfer detailed drawings onto mixed media board. I don't want pencil drawings showing up underneath the airbrush artwork that I do- Ordinarly I would use something like newsprint to draw the image and use a black ebony pencil to color the back of the piece-next I would tape the newsprint to the board I wanted to use and use an artist stencil to trace over the image to the board. Will this process work with air brush as well? Should I use a different paper to do the transfer work?
any tips would be appreciated

Saral graphite paper. You want to stay away from anything that has wax in it.
You can use the old school method if you don't want to buy the Saral paper.

Saral paper is great -BUT, I find that it deposits too dark of a line, and can actually cause paint lifting if masking over it, as the layer of deposit is so thick, it can separate. I also have a Dickens of a time with the lines smearing , so - I have gone to taking paper towel folded up, and using it to burnish the graphite side of the Saral paper. I rub it fairly hard. I will turn the paper towel pad inside out, and refold it several times. By burnishing the graphite layer, you are removing some of it, and compressing the rest. Turn the paper over and lay a piece of copy paper over it, and try a transfer to see how dark it is - You can get it to any degree of lightness you want, by continuing to burnish it.

It will not last as long as a fresh piece of Saral will, but you will get several uses out of it before having to do another sheet. May take a few times to get the hang of it, but it does work quite well.

A kneaded eraser also works to get rid of the dark/thick lines.

I use very light pressure with a .3mm pencil which produces a very fine line and anything to dark a get rid of with the knead able eraser.

I do like your method, I'm going to try that on my next project.

I haven't used the graphite saral, only the white and yellow. You have to be careful as you can wipe it off, but I haven't had problems with paint lifting. I have only used it on metal surfaces though too, so it may behave differently on board . For paper?board I either just draw on the surface direct or, use the old school scribble on the back and trace. I like to keep my pencil lines as faint as possible, so I don't use a too soft pencil so the lines don't some out too harsh. It depends on the image though, with darker pics it isn't an issue.

I thought all saral paper are graphite based and they slightly tweaked the forumla to better fit certain areas. is that untrue?

A kneaded eraser also works to get rid of the dark/thick lines.

I use very light pressure with a .3mm pencil which produces a very fine line and anything to dark a get rid of with the knead able eraser.

I do like your method, I'm going to try that on my next project.
Sure but I would probably use a good tracing paper first some people like it better-instead of newsprint. I just found out that one of my favorite artist- Norman Rockwell used architect tracing paper and charcoal to transfer his drawings. But you have to find a decent tracing paper with a good weight that doesn't tear to easily

I thought all saral paper are graphite based and they slightly tweaked the forumla to better fit certain areas. is that untrue?
Saral papers are transfer papers, and known as graphite papers, but only the grey one is actually called graphite, while the others are called by the colour. The white and yellow are for dark backgrounds, and I think one is for ceramics, another for photography maybe??

Back