Trident paints

T

Troyster

Hey guys, do any of you have any experience using trident water based paints?, it not a name I,m familiar with and lionart seems to have them at a good price at the mo, if their anything like wicked I,ll steer well clear!

I bought a few of these from lion art and first impression is good. Haven't used them extensively yet but i would say give them a try while they are on offer. I may buy some more yet, need to check the piggy bank

I have used Trident paints since they came on the market. I used to use thinners based base coat, but as i have no sense of smell, brought about by 40 years of being a cabinetmaker , and inhaling toxic fumes from contact adhesive, i was inhaling dangerous fumes which i could not smell.

I decided i would look for a water based paint and came across Trident. I have been using it for a couple of years and am really happy with it.

It has really good coverage, and grips on, so long as you have prepped properly, goes without saying. A little slower drying than thinners base coat, which of course dries
immediately. However, i just keep my heat gun handy and just give it quick blow. Masking film and masking tape can be applied immediately and will not pull paint off when removed. There is one tip i can give you.

It is little bit vulnerable to scratching when fresh, such as from finger nail by accident. I overcome this by keeping acrylic clear coat in my syphon feed Paasche vl and spray light coats over artwork as i go. This method works great, as it allows you to lightly sand with 2000 paper and remove those annoying minute build ups of paint from edge of masking tape. Also protects your artwork as you go.

You can NOT use wax and grease remover before clear coating. So make sure your work is nice and clean by other methods before clearing.

I have had complete success with Trident as my photo library shows, and my latest posting under finished artworks ( VIETNAM HELMET) if you want to take a look.

I am not looking to change paints for any reason. Please contact me if you have any questions about it.

Trident paint Developed by Daniel Powers , It re-wets easily , But the colors are vibrant and you can get a great candy effect from over reduction.
Like any paint system it does take some learning to see what works for you and what is the best way to approach things like tape offs .
I think they only make 8 colors unless they have added to their color palette since they first came out.
But as far as how they spray it is about like shooting urethane with great flow.
It is still a bit over priced here in the USA in my opinion but I did get a free sample to try out back when they first started out.

Trident paint Developed by Daniel Powers , It re-wets easily , But the colors are vibrant and you can get a great candy effect from over reduction.
Like any paint system it does take some learning to see what works for you and what is the best way to approach things like tape offs .
I think they only make 8 colors unless they have added to their color palette since they first came out.
But as far as how they spray it is about like shooting urethane with great flow.
It is still a bit over priced here in the USA in my opinion but I did get a free sample to try out back when they first started out.
Haven`t tried candy effect. I think they do have a couple of new colours. Yeah bit pricey in Australia but works good.

Thanks for your input guys. I've gone ahead an ordered quite a few bottles (mostly 50ml) almost one of each colour. Gotta say the olour range is pretty limited compared to com art, etac etc but at the sale price I,d be mad not to give them a punt!, I mean, €11 euros for a 250mm bottle of flesh tone and same for 250mm of reducer, it'd be rude not to! Hopefully this won,t be one of those 'too good to be true' moments!

I've had trident for a while and i agree it's very pigment heavy and vibrant, sprays well and covers well. I got mine on special too and so it was worth a go. Only issue I had was with yellow which was very thick. I had to thin it quite a lot for use after it blocked my AB. So as a precaution I now filter everything. No issues after that.

Hope this helps

I've had trident for a while and i agree it's very pigment heavy and vibrant, sprays well and covers well. I got mine on special too and so it was worth a go. Only issue I had was with yellow which was very thick. I had to thin it quite a lot for use after it blocked my AB. So as a precaution I now filter everything. No issues after that.

Hope this helps
Thanks jord001, luckily yellow was one of the colours I didn't order so cheers for the heads up. Looking forward to trying them out when they arrive!

Thanks jord001, luckily yellow was one of the colours I didn't order so cheers for the heads up. Looking forward to trying them out when they arrive!

Are these paints opaque or trans im on lion art looking but i cant see

That's interesting madbrush, how does that work?, I guess that makes them semi opaque, still not really sure what that means, still trying to get my head around the paint side of things!

That's interesting madbrush, how does that work?, I guess that makes them semi opaque, still not really sure what that means, still trying to get my head around the paint side of things!

A transparent base is paint with no pigment, so its used to make opaques trans

Then it would be a semi opaque base, lol, no the transparent base as Matty said is all you need to make your own transparent, half and half would normally give you a transparent colour whereas increasing the opaque ratio would lean toward semi opaque the other way round you would obviously give you a more transparent colour, I prefer this method becuase it allows you to decide how quickly you build up your work.

Eh? So their transparents then?, I,m lost on this one how can they be trans and opaque?

lol i know mate i was confused at the start aswell

The paint itself is opaque, then you have a seperate bottle of transparent base
You add say one drop of paint to say 5/6 drops of trans base this then turns the paint into semi-transparents. Theres a thread somewhere on here that gos a lot more into detail about it but thats the basics. You just use different ratios till you get your desired effect

Ok I think I get it now, I thought you guys meant that what came in each bottle was an opaque with a trans base as apposed to the base being in a separate bottle. Don,t think I,ll get to involve with the whole making trans out of opaques, I struggle enough using opaques and trans already!

Ok I think I get it now, I thought you guys meant that what came in each bottle was an opaque with a trans base as apposed to the base being in a separate bottle. Don,t think I,ll get to involve with the whole making trans out of opaques, I struggle enough using opaques and trans already!
It is a good idea to explore the benefits of transparent bases, the general idea is that you can make any opaque colour into a transparent without losing the paints normal properties or viscosity, this is particularly handy for larger nozzle sizes, many of us over-thin paints to allow for slow build up in layers, the problem with this is that after a certain amount of thinning some paints quickly deteriorate and break down and if you went too far some paints won't even dry at all or dry a little chalky so that you could rub it out with your finger.

If you are ordering colours anyway, why not order a small bottle of the trans base too? you'll be surprised how much extra control you will have when you can decide for yourself what pace you have to work at, you will also find that a 1:1:1 mix of colour, trans base and thinning will give you a higher build which will also give your work a lot more depth as your layers progress, again very very handy if you are doing portraits.

Thanks for the advise madbrush. Your right in what you say and I don,t want my lack of knowledge stunt my progress, unfortunately at the moment I,m still unsure of where and when I should be using trans or opaque. I guess I,d better book myself on a course!

Back