Triplex airbrush set by Gabbert

DaveG

Airbush Analyst
I got in a Triplex airbrush set that I found while hunting for other German brushes. The Triplex features a front portion of the brush that screws off, allowing you to quickly change the configuration of the brush. Gravity feed, side feed, siphon feed, anything goes. I got it delivered from the Netherlands for @$180US. It is German made brush. The other thing, it has a fixed double action trigger set up. No pushing down, just pulling back. First part of the stroke initiates airflow, then at a fixed distance, paint initiation starts.
triplex1.jpg

First thing that struck me is that the Triplex is a BIG airbrush. Here it is with some others for comparison. Top brush is a Paasche Talon, Triplex, Grafo T1, Iwata HP-B, and lastly a Thayer Chandler Model A.

triplex2.jpg

The front portion screws off to allow the user to configure the brush however they choose. A couple of O-rings keep things where they belong, and out of places they don't. Each head has it's own adjustable needle packing.
triplex3.jpg

The set I chose came with three different heads, three different nozzle sizes (.25, .35 and .5), needles, and a few different sized color cups (in addition to the "A" cup head) 1cc, 3cc's, and @10cc's on the large, fixed cup
triplex4.jpg

Some real quick spray tests show that the brush has plenty of potential - and I look forward to playing with it much more.
triplex5.jpg

I have a bit more information posted on my Facebook page, feel free to stop by and check it out - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1495542263884690.1073741873.1063587837080137&type=3

That’s an interesting brush. The lines look good, definitely has potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never seen one before, the end cap looks like a H&S one. Sprays well though by the looks of the test paper.

Lee

Never seen one before, the end cap looks like a H&S one. Sprays well though by the looks of the test paper.

Lee
Looking only at pictures, I had assumed that the head pieces would be the same as Hansa and Grafo, but while similar, they are actually very different. Michael Wolf mentioned in another post that this is the same brush that Sata marketed as the Satagraph 2. The test paper was a work in progress, as I actually had a bent needle, and then an air leak around the head base to deal with - both those minor things cared for, the performance is right on par with what I would expect to see out a well made, German airbrush.

The best thing about these guns is they demand a lower pressure, beautiful atomization too, i like the new edition you got :)

What gets me is the "single action" trigger setup on it. The proper term escapes me at the moment. Seems to be a common idea in German airbrushes. I wonder if there is a common ancestry or if theyre all made in the same factory or something like that?

What gets me is the "single action" trigger setup on it. The proper term escapes me at the moment. Seems to be a common idea in German airbrushes. I wonder if there is a common ancestry or if theyre all made in the same factory or something like that?
They call the trigger action - "fixed double action". I would guess that due to proximity, the competitors focused on popular features. The design of the fixed double action does have some age to it. Among the American brands, all located in the Chicago area, there was some sort of provision for needle pre-set position in front of the trigger. In addition, whether simply by coincidence or not - the distance from trigger center to nozzle tip is the same on all of the earlier American brushes... up till maybe the late 60's.

Back