Turntable Idea

G

GypsyGoldAu

Well i thought as a new member i might take the time to give a little to the forum i am getting so much feedback from.

I read many here doing miniatures and models and the use of turntables, so i will pass on this idea i use in another hobby of mine.

If you don't have a turntable currently, but need one for better/easier results, try dropping into a reclamation yard at the local tip (or wherever they are in your area) or the scrap yards and look for a small beat and busted up microwave and liberate it of the glass turntable and roller ring usually found underneath...cost?..about $5-10 (or less...) depending on what else you may or may not buy, or the yards costs...

I have one that i modified by placing some checker-plate on top of as i use it for attaching bails and earring backs to small Gold nuggets for jewellery pieces. (the checker-plate just helps to radiate the heat back onto the piece i'm working with).

Using the one from a small microwave (~20L) should be small enough to fit inside most of the smaller portable paint booths, or even on the bench-top if no booth available.... hope this helps...

Cheers
Gypsy

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found an old lazy susan in a yard sell for 50 cents works great.
But I like the ideal of the micron wave rollers and glass plate.

I found a glass centerpiece for condiments on a table (I think) at a garage sale for a couple bucks. Rolls smoothly and can scrape the paint off the glass. I currently have some push pins hot glued on with the points up because I was painting lightweight foam and needed to not have my airbrush blast them off the table. X3

Great idea Gypsy. I have a plastic turntable which is reasonable and i also have one made of wood brought from IKEA for £5 cheap price but quality product and rotates real smoothly. You could stick a piece of glass to it if you wanted to replicate the microwave turntable.

Lee

Thanks jord001...no Ikea near me, i'm 'near' a town with only 12-13K inhabitants...

Your idea is a good one for others though, and it appears many like to hit garage sales for the same result he he.
Cheers

Back