Tutorial - Using your Smartphone to check Value in your paintings.

jagardn

Airbrush Acquisition Disorder Patient
Here is a quick and easy cheat to use your smartphone to make sure the value of your painting is in correct proportion to your reference photo.

Here is a picture of a small value checker that I use when painting.
It takes some practice, but if you squint at the image, the greyscale of the square with the arrow drawn on it closely resembles the value of the inner(pinkish) area of the ear just above it. (sorry for the yellow square, the camera was trying to auto focus when I took the screenshot)
SmartPhone Value Checker IMG_3605.jpg
Now, I put the phone live filter on Monotone(this was an iPhone) if for some reason your phone doesn't do it, I'm sure there is an app that does.
Now in Monotone mode, we can get a better look where that color resides on the value scale without being distracted by the Hue.
SmartPhone Value Checker IMG_3604.jpg

Now here, I have mixed a transparent paint of a similar Hue to the color in the ear.
I can now keep layering this color until the Monotone mode matches the same tile we referenced in the reference photo.
SmartPhone Value Checker IMG_3606.jpg
SmartPhone Value Checker IMG_3607.jpg

This is a very easy and accurate way to match value when using transparent paints, because transparent paints always get darker the more you put on. I generally always go slightly lighter in value than the reference, because at the end, most colors need to be shifted slightly, which will cause them to get darker.

I hope this helps some of you by using a tool you already have in your pocket.
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Cool , But my phone ain't smart it just hangs on the wall like it has since 1970 something....LOL

Cool , But my phone ain't smart it just hangs on the wall like it has since 1970 something....LOL

Some digital cameras support the Monotone mode too. Herb, you could trade in your sundial and get a shiny new smartphone. ;)

Some digital cameras support the Monotone mode too. Herb, you could trade in your sundial and get a shiny new smartphone. ;)

Jeff my camera does do monotone. plus about 400 other effects LOL but I just do not have a need for a cell phone . I figure if someone wants to talk to me they can either call my office or my home. Cause if I am out and about I really don't want to talk to anyone who would call anyway ...LOL

That's cool Jeff. I don't think I have the skill to match the coloured value to the monotone, will have to play around with this if I can get an app. Getting the tone right between the ref and the actual painting in monotone using this method is awesome, and I think even I can manage thaat lol!.

Awesome tip Jeff, thanks for sharing!

Back