For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Ultrasonic cleaner question

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by RichardH, Apr 22, 2018.

1. RichardH

RichardH Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I am going to order a ultrasonic machine and was wondering if I could just pour airbrush cleaner in it instead of their chemicals. I have a big bottle of cleaner and I am thinking it would be ok to use it for this. Also might think alcohol would work also but I've never used a ultrasonic cleaner.
    Any advice would help.

Thanks

Richard
  2. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

the biggest problem with the ultra sonic cleaners is the fact they vibrate and can damage airbrush parts other than that I think you can put any cleaning solution in it be keep in mind the solution will get warm and can produce vapors
  3. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Gravity Guru

100%. @RichardH They get quite hot even without a seperate heating function. As far as fluids, you mentioned what I've found to be very very effective, but there is no way it can be recommended as safe. I'm not even gonna name it.
    Ronald art likes this.
  4. DaveG

DaveG Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

You can use AB cleaner effectively in the unit. If you don't want to waste a ton of cleaner, you can place the parts to be cleaned in a small glass or plastic container, and place that in the cleaner filled with water. It cuts down on the amount of cavitation going on, like a buffer, but still works well enough for AB parts. As mentioned, a unit can cause liquids used to get quite hot, so careful using anything that may be combustible or flammable. I have used both acetone, and lacquer thinner in smaller containers as described earlier, without issue - but, I monitor temps closely.
    NEMOPa, Robbyrockett2, doc1 and 2 others like this.
  5. NEMOPa

NEMOPa Elite Member! Elite Member!

I agree with Dave, I've used a small container in mine for years and it works great. My fluid of choice is non ammonia window cleaner, I avoid flammable fluids since I do my cleaning in the kitchen. I use small $ store food storage containers with lids & save my fluids. Makes cleanup super easy. Let the machine cool a bit, dump the water, wipe it out and I'm done.
    doc1 and DaveG like this.