Ultrasonic Cleaners?

M

MuGGzy

Anyone tried these? I know people use them for jewelry and such but sometimes I would dig the idea of just being able to toss some parts (tips/nozzle/needle) into a bin and turn on a machine and come back to nice clean parts the next time I needed to use them.

They do make your brushes extremely shiny again, and are very nice to cuickly clean your airbrush. They are not miracle workers though, I've had clogged nozles that even after a couple of hours in them still remained clogged (they do solve it sometimes but more often than not it doesn't help with those kind of problems)

Have heard they affect the chrome finish but not 100% sure on that memory of reading that somewhere from others who have used em..or if related to something else...But I think way to overpriced for what a 2 minute normal clean can do..Just blow out your brush well at the end of each session, backflush it also well and its generally ready for next time..only time I deep clean a brush is when ever nothing else has worked :)..But yer I wouldn't bother with one..

I love mine, but @haasje dutchairbrush is right, they won't fix every situation. A few things you can do to increase their effectiveness is to use warm/hot water, make sure you use the basket (don't just throw them in touching the metal basin), and find an effective dilution for the solvent. Its great for cleaning a brush at the end of the day after you've finished, but probably a bit much/unecessary for just changing colors.

Have heard they affect the chrome finish but not 100% sure on that memory of reading that somewhere from others who have used em..or if related to something else...
Most people use Windex or some other ammonia based solvent in them, and if I remember correctly its the ammonia that can eventually damage the chrome. If so, switching to a non-ammonia based cleaner should help eliminate that risk.

Last edited:
I have the cheapest one I could find and use it maybe once a year or not at all , it has been said before if you clean your brushes you wont need one but if you are like me and forget to clean a brush it can come in handy at times ;)
I only use plain water in it and never soak a nozzle in it : a nozzle is to small and can get damaged real easy on the metal inside of the ultrasonic cleaner

If you just use E'tac you can leave the paint in for a week and sill clean it without any hassles.
you are so right there and thats where it goes wrong on my part : the efx is no problem but the PS is a different story : you cant leave that in your brush for a day but I tend to forget that ;)

Back