For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Ventilation

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Ricktarsprayer75, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Ricktarsprayer75

Ricktarsprayer75 Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

Im thinking about getting one of these for my workshop and was wondering if it was suitable?
    The flow rate at max speed is 838cfm.
    I would make a frame to fit a carbon filter in front of the inlet.
    The only problem i can see is that the blurb states " not to be used in gaseous flammable areas "
    Im wondering whether this is suitable for an airbrush situation or am i setting myself up for an explosion?
    How flammable is atomised water based paint? Is using solvent based paint more of a worry or should i avoid this type of ventilator/extractor altogether?
    Im certain i wouldnt use solvent based paints
    Ive seen that people use bathroom extractors and im pretty sure theyre not designed for flammable fumes.
    Any feedback would be really helpful

Attached Files:

2. Ricktarsprayer75

On reflection after more research i found out that this runs at 76 decibels which is pretty noisy.
    Ive seen these spray booths a lot recently on e bay.( picture 2)
    I wonder if i could adapt it to hang over the top of my easel and if it would be powerful enough if i constructed some kind of hood or funnel.
    If anyone has one could you let me know how powerful it is?

Attached Files:

3. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

I remember looking at those, they are small, they're designed primarily for model minatures. the fans seem to be ~65cfm extraction rate, which isn't great.

like I said, great for small parts not much else. I'd love to give you suggestions but I don't have any I'm still hunting myself, I want something to cope with A2 size. looking at fan requirements of around 1000 cfm from what I can find
    Ricktarsprayer75 likes this.
  4. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

Everyone is always shocked at cfm requirements for a spray booth.

Water based paint is not very flammable at all. And further you can just filter it and allow to recirculate.
    Personally I salvaged a fan out of an old air cleaner I got at goodwill. Is guess it is 400 cfm. And fairly quiet.

Unfortunately that is more than adequate for spraying with my airbrush.. But I need a real solution for my spray guns.
  5. Ricktarsprayer75

I would have bought the clarke extractor but 76 db is just too loud.
    Im going to have to buy some kind of box fan and adapt it myself but it will be re circulating the air.
    I,ll then have to vent air into the workshop.
    I just wanted a simple quiet extractor that i can put a filter on and vent outside .
    They seem to be either too small or too noisy
  6. Tocean

Tocean Double Actioner

The first air extractor is pretty loud, but it will move some air, I use them painting tubs so I'm not sitting in a bathroom of overspray. Seems overkill for an airbrush unless you were painting solvents.
    Ricktarsprayer75 likes this.
  7. Ricktarsprayer75

This was the next idea.
    A bathroom extractor in the wall of the shed ànd one if these over the top of the workpiece.
    Its for soldering fumes but id repkwce the foam filter with a carbon filter.
    Thing is i dont know if it would lose its piwer trying to suck air through a carbon filter.

Attached Files: