For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Videos

Discussion in 'What would you like to learn here?' started by Jezurus, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Jezurus

Jezurus Gravity Guru

I just watched Haasje painting skulls on his video and I learned more from watching him than all the times I've tried to paint a skull myself, just wondering if some of you pro/veteran artists here could do short vids for us trying to learn this skill, it helps so much to see someone painting live,(on vid)!
    haasje dutchairbrush and JackEb like this.
  2. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

A few of members just got video cams and said they would post up some as soon as they could figure out the cams.:D
    musicmacd and JackEb like this.
  3. Smiler65

Smiler65 Detail Decepticon!

You tube has loads to do with airbrushing, Mitch (airbrush tutor) has some great ones along with others.
  4. haasje dutchairbrush

haasje dutchairbrush Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

The one I put up was more of a test, but if they are actualy helpfull I'll see if I can do another one or two involving a bit different techniques.

It is a bit of a hassle though as so far the only watchable tapes I made thusfar where when the sun was out (and I live in the netherlands which is only slightly better than living in scotland I think in regards to the sun :p), also getting them up on youtube takes a couple of hours (during which I have to remember not to close my browser.... and I'm not good at rembering stuff :D)
    Jezurus and musicmacd like this.
  5. Jezurus

Jezurus Gravity Guru

I've watched quite a few vids on you tube, and they are good, except the fast forward vids, it's nice to see someone working and just doing there thing, making a gradual painting, looking forward to more stuff!
    Haasje, how many months of sun do you have?
    haasje dutchairbrush likes this.
  6. haasje dutchairbrush

I repeat "Netherlands", we count the time we see this mystical round shape in the sky in hours per decade :p
    ferret likes this.
  7. Jezurus

Jezurus Gravity Guru

:eek::confused:lol
  8. haasje dutchairbrush

@Jezurus I managed to tape one skul from start to finish, I'll need to edit out some of the useless stuff (me getting coffee, telephone, memory card full etc :p) and I'll have to split it into a few smaller files to get it onto youtube so I hope to have it up in the next couple of day's
    jacksparrow, JackEb, Smiler65 and 2 others like this.
  9. Jezurus

Jezurus Gravity Guru

Dude, you are the bomb!:thumbsup: Thank you so much!
  10. frowan

frowan Gravity Guru

Jezurus i think about Hassje like you. Sure he has other twin brother painter!
  11. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

What really helps is to paint a few yourself, make your mistakes and then watch a few video's as you mention, a lot watch the video and then don't sometimes get to learn from their own mistakes..but when it comes to timelapse vids, they can help more than you know, airbrushing to higher levels I don't really think is too much about technique, like any substrate style art, music also its about the layering and lots of other art foundations and timelapsed videos can show that aspect extremely well across all art disciplines, remember that airbrushing is not much different to oil, watercolor, acrylic, pastels, drawing etc, so don't be afraid to look into tutorials in other area's also of art as they can teach those foundations, we just use a different tool to achieve them..It is hard to do any complex demos that are short and if you do your often taken to task by Youtube comments that its not that good even if its described as a "Basic Tutorial", but most don't realize that anything you spend 30 minutes on won't be anything close to as good as it could be with another 10 hours work, a good realism skull can take ten odd hours, more or less at times pending on the detail levels and often peoples attention span won't allow them to even consider watching a ten hour series..Some do and probably benefit from it but many likely don't and instead skip to shorter length videos that don't really show complexity to the level most desire to see and learn..but there are longer tutorials available on the net, heres one....but it is a part of an 8 hour sequence :)

and another if you like skulls..but again just the first part to a bigger series

Sorry but they arn't short vids :) but do proove my thoughts LOL, that first skull vid has over 100,000 views, the following videos in that series have less than a thousand for most part LOL, many on Youtube want entertained, not so much to learn...
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    jord001 and haasje dutchairbrush like this.
  12. Jezurus

Jezurus Gravity Guru

Thanks Rebel, I have no prob watching long vids, I love as much info as I can get, I understand about oil and acrylic, music, and layers there as I have painted and been a musician for some years, and there are differences in technique in airbrush that can only be learned in time, and practice, I can pull a strait line with a pencil or a brush much easier because of the friction of the brush or pencil against the canvas or paper, but I have a difficult time pulling one with an airbrush, I need more practice!;)
    I hate that there are folks out there who don't appreciate the work that goes into even a short vid, but believe be, Haasje and whoever else does vids has my complete gratitude!
    And thanks for posting these, haven't watched me yet but I will tonight!
    RebelAir likes this.
  13. Jake H.

Jake H. Gravity Guru

I really like this video from Ryan Townsend. I like how he explains a lot of things, whereas I recently purchased "the wolf man" DVD with cory saint clair, and it doesn't seem like he does as much explaining and its more of a "just watch me paint" dvd. I have always been a "why" person though lol, so I don't really care what you're doing, I just want to know why. Why lay that color paint down first, why start the portrait from there first etc.

14. Jake H.

Jake H. Gravity Guru

duplicate post
  15. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

Oh yer the technique is a required skill need, prob came across a bit brash there but once your solid on those dots and lines and put the hours in there isn't much difference between how someone who has painted for years or 6 months do those dots and lines, I often in my course have people painting a pretty realistic portrait within hours due to the understanding of that layering, yer may be a bit rough due to those techniques not being spot on but most beginners would consider that ability impossible at the start of the day.. Many of us describe that click moment and for me over the years watching others find that "click" its generally because they begin to understand how to build up an image and layer it correctly and become that artist, that can take mere days to weeks for some and years for others..Airbrushing is art essentially and having studied quite a few artforms in depth and for many years there is an amazing amount of similarity between the construction of a piece.

@Jake H. The whys can be different for all artists m8 and often thats the hard bit to explain as there are so many ways to skin a cat there is often never a definitive answer, there could be multiple answers to the same solution, some say start portraits with the eyes, some don't, some paint dark to light, some don't, but to truely learn there is an important lesson that is a constant for all if success is desired..learn from your own mistakes because then you find out your why's...Often you see many paint a tutorial perfectly then step on their own try something without a tutorial and fail miserably because they may know some of the idea from that earlier tutorial but they didn't get to learn from their own mistakes and rarely will you see any producing tutorials showing you those mistakes. So for me its about teaching the why's and the mistakes and how to recover from them, even if the end result doesn't look like a photo because thats where most need to start but too often peeps just want overnight success and ignore the simple steps one must take to ensure a good understanding of those whys...Its like building a house from the ground up :)You don't start with the roof...
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    JackEb and Jezurus like this.