Vintage projectors

SilverScreen

Gravity Guru
425995_3145122785393_1417437460_n.jpg

This in not just bragging, I collected a number of Vintage projectors, like this small Epidiascope fittet with the original 250 Watt 110 volt lamp, it is also an antike but work great except it do get hot.
There are several more but I found the problem with these old projectors are exactly that, the old glow lamps that today are difficult to find and the fact that they only last limited time; some down to 24 hours and costing some 70-120 $ as also they are antike.
This was found on Ebay like all the rest in the collection, -- I agrea it kind of became to important finding neat Vintage optics when the original idea was to find a good projector, but when I bought these they were fairly cheap and you can be lucky today also, ---- yes I know you can get Led projectors that work better and use very little energy, but Led lamps can be bought lose to;

$T2eC16R,!)0E9s37F0gVBQ)3YdZSo!~~60_57.JPG

I found this also on Ebay, it's a 100 Watt Led and I asked my oldest son who know about the digital, if I could get one of those that only cost 25 Eur, and what electronics was needed. ---- (just seartch "10000 Watt Led" on Ebay, you proberly even can fing stronger Led's ) -- anyway it'll be one of next winters projects to rebuild one of the small Epidiascopes into a Led projector and as you see, they come as double function to ; it's both a big-slide projector and a opaque projector in one -- so if anyone are interested I can ask more into what I need to buy.

Here a closer foto;

58377_1606308876007_1487216_n.jpg

Last edited:
The difference between say an Overhead and an Opaque projector ( Episkop projector ) are that the Overhead are an oversize slide projector where you need to print your image on transparant Overhead folie. The Opaque take solid objects to. A newspaper page, an image in a book or a paper foto, those things you can't put onto an overhead unless you take a foto first, and print that onto Overhead plastic. Also personaly I prefere the opaque, I find the colors better even it is often weaker, but with a 1000 Watt Episkop like those that was replaced by overhead projectors, there are hardly any limitations, they even make an image of 7X7 meter, if that's what you want ; Here two fine opauque projectors, those I want to keep when I sold the rest.

420522_3145117305256_464527514_n.jpg

They are both 1000 Watt, the one to the left with a Halogen tube that can be replaced with a 500 Watt, the one to the right are just four times more poverfull with it's HQI lamp. But both could profit from being replaced with Led lamps. -------- The 1000 Wats are a problem even we have 220 volt .
About shipping as that seem to be the major problem finding these old treasures on Ebay, then all those I found was shipped mainly from germany to denmark and they all survived even some of the mirrors are quite fragile, and it's not that expensive, I think I payed some 36 Eur for one of these heavy packets. ------ If you think about getting an opaque projector try find one over 500 Watt unless it's a Led projector that deliver with very less pover, but if it's one of this old type the saying was that under 500 watt was not good.

340299_3224907019949_1768787558_o.jpg

Old traveler projector from the start of the 30's or before.
1930's Zeiss-Ikon projector fit in a box drawout lightbox and condenser, various lenses fit front that is shifted according to range. Rare piece fully capable with max 250 Watt 110 volt bulb. Work well with slides printed on Overhead film just need to fit the 14X14 Cm. film in a wooden frame that is made for the same. --- Almost an antike, could have placed in "for sale" but price is proberly higher than what most in this fora would think.
Zeiss Ikon were put together from various german optics firms in the late 20's among those Zeiss. the 3 lenses that fit are in themself Gems, still this is more a museeum piece than anything else but smart in it's own oldfasion way. What's good about these big slide projectors are that they accept rather big slides and that you can print those yourself, -- Il'l still prefere an Opaque projector.

To much in fact, but collecting are a good way to gather some knowleage. But all that is outdated, unless you see them as neat decor. Realy some are quite stylish but also massive. So how many will be there in just 20 or 30 years, proberly not many. Size and weight make them troubled, adding that digital work so much better at so little expenses, mean that much of that equipment went directly to the scrap yard. Still at that time I could not resist when a true Gem could be bought for almost nothing;

402164_3145122265380_353087475_n.jpg

A Zeiss "Lector", start 30's , a thruout innovative design; base designed by Bauhaus for ease of use, So when the one with the standard base also were offered, I just had to get that to;

405364_3145118025274_1892081684_n.jpg

The Episkop lens hidden under the top Diaskop -- a forrunner for the overhead by a horisontal light base, are just 320 mm, but is a hand cut and grined crystal. You can see the imperfections and still reconise why they don't mean anything. But I think you can almost feel how heavy. 500 Watt 110 volt glow lamp shared by the two destint projecting systems by turning a handle.

Last edited:
Hi I have been given one just like this. I haven't a clue what it is or do. And was wandering if you could tell me and also a estimated value as looking to sell it on.
Many thanks

Im'e sure sales price are way to low compared the real Vintage value. Or, you are within collectors circle so either it is worth 1000 $ or you put it on Ebay and must realise a high bit of 10 $. Realy I can't say.
I know the above are produced in a quality that justify a realy high price but it's like a realy expensive car asking constance mechanic care, it's true that the opaque part projector lens are stunning quality and unique, proberly hand grind, It's top Zeiss quality all way thru and there are to many details to describe, but before these Gems reach the price that reflect their value you will need atleast two collectors.

Thanks for the reply silver screen. I have looked at a vast amount sites and can't find any more like it. I am going to take it to some dealers to see what they have to say about it
Many thanks. And I'll keep u posted as to what I find out

My guess are that in maybe ten years enough of the surviving pieces been jettisoned and some day trend or fasion make these into a most wanted modern piece of interiour Decor. Today people canabilise them, take out the 3 lens projecting optic and sell it on Ebay for more than what the steel casing originaly would cost. They can offer a 2 kilo, 400 millimeter optics, offcaurse primitive compared camera lenses, but not without use. I know some are sold suggested to be used as telescope lenses. When Optic removed, the rest are usealy scrapped.
Sure they can't compeed with today's digital but there are a particular quality of the projected image, that I think is difficult to copy by digital. Anyway technical Vintage and Antike are allready adding in value, the marked for early optics are rising but slowly, so maybe it will be in 20 years, this is still my guess, but I think it is worth to remember what old cars that was once scrapped could be worth even today. --- Guess you see what I mean,
So much of these lecture projectors are allready scrapped but like much other tech. antikes one day it will be sought for, simply becaurse it has a particular quality, are rare and a barn find can make you a profit, just not yet.

Back