For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Vladimir, some answers to your questions

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by DaveG, Apr 5, 2017.

1. DaveG

DaveG Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

@Vladimir - I thought it may be best to remove this information from the post it would be buried in.

You asked me where I purchase Delrin from - "McMaster Carr" is a place I order most of my small quantity material from, although I could also suggest "Online Metals". Teflon has a more natural lubricity to it than Delrin does, although if properly sized the Delrin would be more than capable. I personally do not think it would be a better material, because it would not offer the same kind of adjust-ability. It is firmer than Teflon is. There may be some options available in terms of O-ring material. There are many different compounds available, and there may be a better substitute than Buna or Viton (the 2 most common).

This is a typical tapered hand reamer -

taper reamer.jpg

I believe it would be size 4/0 that would fit the typical color cup hole taper. You will not find a better hole finish that that done by reamer, without stepping up to some very sophisticated equipment.

A small Swiss pattern file (fine cut) -

round file.jpg

and a diamond coated file - these are always cutting, because the abrasive is not uniform.

round diamond file.jpg

In brass, either of the files would do the job you need. You would just get it close, but checking often as you cut. Once the lip of the color cup stem fits into the hole, you would basically use pressure against the cup to swag the hole to fit. You would figure it out with out much problem, if attempting it. The other option would be to get the hole close, and then use emery paper wrapped around the file point to lightly finish the hole...
    Vladimir and markjthomson like this.
  2. Vladimir

Vladimir Mac-Valve Maestro!

Thank you Dave!:thumbsup:
    You've mentioned two key words for the seal "lubricity" and "adjust ability". I'm totally agree as "self-lubricity" is in material's friction resistance and adjust ability is in its softness. So material should be soft and slippery, solvent resistant and well enough for machining (lathe treatment).
    Thanx for the materials proposed!

Yes it's reamer!:) I've got a bunch of them here, used them for precise holes. But all of them are bigger diameter than AB cup's tubes.
    I'll try to find one conic shaped just right diameter for the tube.

I've also got all of those files so don't even need to buy them. I thought maybe they could be something different from what I have.
  3. DaveG

DaveG Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

I looked to purchase a reamer for my little Badger 100/Sotar project, but just decided to make one instead - knowing it was a one time deal. Just made it out of tool steal (o1). I am pretty sure that you could use a "4/0", if you can find standard sizes where you are located - not sure what they would be listed as in metric, though.
    Vladimir likes this.
  4. Vladimir

Vladimir Mac-Valve Maestro!

I think if I will not find conic shape reamer I could make it with the cylinder reamer. But all my cylinder reamers have conic tips, so maybe even those small required diameter also would do, more likely they also have conic tips. Holes for the cups aren't long.
    When I bought usual reamer last time, the seller mentioned conic shaped also. I'll ask him if he has that one I need.

I lean towards making the adapter rather then solder in the insert and then to make conic hole there. I will find out what threads are in the AB I think to upgrade and will buy tools for cutting the threads.
    DaveG likes this.