For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

wanted ideas for angels

Discussion in 'General Airbrush References!' started by airbrushingferret, Nov 8, 2013.

1. airbrushingferret

airbrushingferret Air-Valve Autobot!

The foofy store that bought a bunch of my art work wants me to paint angels and no not a half naked victorias secret model wearing wings trouble is were doo i get a reference i could probly just wing it lol i didnt mean that in a funny way but if any one has noticed there arent many angels flying around waiting to get there pictures taken and i really dont want to copy some one elses art and sell it to a store any ideas were to get references. i dont even have a girl friend i could get to pose for a picture
  2. splasha

splasha Detail Decepticon!

angels

Hi,
    Have you considered looking at some of the religious paintings or books for some ideas for your angel project.
    There would probably be fair references in some of the "old Masters" works in the Louvre, Paris France.
    Just some ideas for you to begin looking at.
    Thanks,
    Splasha:tears_of_joy:
  3. blackasnight

blackasnight Double Actioner

Hi Airbrushing ferret,

Hows this for an idea... go to posemaniacs.com and find a figure...boy or girl in the approximate pose you want them then google angels wings for some ideas on the textures and shapes of wings, then blend the two together. Put the now angel into a scene thats dark with a single lightsource perhaps.
    Angels in tradition sometimes but not always had wings, they were more often Men than Women, in the hebrew tradition, angels had eyes like flaming coals, Many eyes, often even within the wings and body of the creature and sometimes more than one face. Sometimes more than one pair of wings.
    Angels in Mythology were arranged in orders, rather like an army, a different army for accomplishing a different aspect of Gods Will. At the head of each Order was an Archangel, a chieftain who had overall responsibility for the administration of orders. Amongst these were chosen specific angels whose task it is to maintain the four elements, which composed all living things. Fire was given to Michael, Water to Gabriel, Air to Raphael and Earth to Auriel. Painting one or all of these would be a good place to start as there is quite a lot of information about these four out there. For instance Raphael tends to wear colours of Yellow and Amethyst (Purple), Michael wears Red and Emerald Green, Gabriel wears Orange and Blue, Auriel wears the four colours of the earth which are Black, Olive Green, Russet (Red Brown) and Citrine (Yellow Green).

Regards Rick
    basepaint likes this.
  4. flycatchr

flycatchr Detail Decepticon!

or google "cherub" - which are baby angels. 'fairies' might also bring up great references?
  5. justme

justme Gravity Guru

Maybe you can go to your local church they might having some statues, bring your camera and take pictures from every possible angle. Local graveyards are also popular for angels.
  6. airbrushingferret

those are not bad ideas at all I am surprised with how many replies i have considering how quiet the forum has been lately thanks so much
  7. airbrushingferret

i like the idea of bringing my camera to the church at least il be painting my own photo i realy dont want to copy some one else s art with or with out permission if its going to be for sale if its for my own wall thats a different story. i also like the find a pose suggestion iI seem too need a reference i cant seem to paint the human figure from scratch it always comes out of proportion. perhapse il give it a go today if i come up with something but to be honest id rather do another light house on a small canvas
  8. splasha

splasha Detail Decepticon!

As someone once said" It's easier to do something you have done before", but it's never quite the challenge you expect it will be.
    The first stoke is always the most difficult, I find. But once you've done it, the rest seems to flow out!
  9. B.S.

B.S. Double Actioner

[​IMG]
    I see some people here in the forum stepped up (as usual) and gave off some really great ideas. Not sure if this will be helpful at all but I hope so: Late one night in a real bad part of downtown, with one can of white spray paint and about 3 mins brought this out ...a 7ft tall angel. I'm not a graffiti artist and I'm not even religious really, go figure. Haha. Hope you dig it, if not, thanks for letting me post it ;)
    basepaint, doc1 and NEMOPa like this.
  10. HeathD

HeathD Young Tutorling

As a fan of Dr Who angels now scare me. Especially statues... Churches have great examples, but perhaps something less religious might be more saleable.
  11. flycatchr

flycatchr Detail Decepticon!

@BS - that has AWESOME depth to it.
    @ABF - Has she said if she want light airy fairy type angels or dark twisted Gargoyle types?
  12. Diegojavbau

Diegojavbau Air-Valve Autobot!

13. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Artist of the Month! Artist of the Month!

Theres always stock image sites, at least your paying for the right to use the reference. Or you know just cobble together stuff from lots of references....Then it's just inspiration not copying.