Waterbased paints with solvents

L

Lt4-396

I did a bit of searching but did not find a answer to my question so here it goes:

I am used to spraying urethanes on cars/bikes but using water based is new to me. I thought waterbased meant no solvents but as I have learned that's not always true (Testors Aztec airbrush paint)

I currently am using createx textile paints on t shirts and practice to use it up and recently added a few CI colors and wow what a difference between the regular createx and their illustration line.

I am looking to add possibly wicked detail since from what I have read CI is not good on metal.
So finally here is my question.
Does wicked, wicked detail, etac PS (grex PS) have any solvent smell to it or is their no/very little smell like createx and CI?

I currently am painting in my basement with a 710 CFM exhaust fan dialed back to roughly 300 CFM so pulling the smell out is not a problem but I still would prefer a paint with little to no smell.

Thanks In Advance

Paint On :D It is about the same as all of the Createx line . But if you use the 4020 automotive reducer it has an acetone in it and while I always mask up it may have an stronger order to it but if you stay with the 4012 reducer you should be just fine.

Awesome sounds good... do you have any experience with the etc PS paints. I have access to grex PS which I believe is the same just rebottled.

Just found some 1oz illustration paints ridiculous cheap, almost $1 per oz so of course I had to buy them.

Yes indeed - water based refers to the base medium the paint is made with. May indeed be some solvents involved!

Awesome sounds good... do you have any experience with the etc PS paints. I have access to grex PS which I believe is the same just rebottled.

Just found some 1oz illustration paints ridiculous cheap, almost $1 per oz so of course I had to buy them.
I have experimented heavily with efx and private stock even private stock is fragile paint- heat setted with heat gun let sit overnight a piece of paper moved across surface scratched the hell out my project- that's when I had enough and switched back to wicked a durable paint- do you want to heatset every time you blink? Also my problem with it is water is the appropriate reducer and a poor reducer for hard surface poor evaporation compared to wicked high performance reducer.

I don't like the grex (E'tac) paint, but many people love them. I suggest just buying a bottle, and having a play around with it before commuting to a whole bunch. Try it on a few different surfaces, try some different techniques, actually try and damage it, and just see if you get along with it. Maybe do the same with a couple of brands, (although remember they may need a specific reducer too).

Wicked is my fave, but I know some folks don't get along with it at all. Everyone is different depending on how they like to paint, the surfaces they prefer etc. So some tests will sho what's good for you.

Back