Welsh newbie to airbrushing

R

regan_ev

Hi all,
I'm new to airbrushing, a total novice, having just bought some equipment to begin painting.

I've had an introduction to the art and basic techniques at Mick Neill's airbrush academy by undertaking the beginner course last month, so I'm hoping to expand on the basics learnt by learning lots of things here.

I live in South Wales, and my first project for myself will be to paint a bicycle helmet, so lots of practise required and lots to learn before completing it.

Looking forward to the future!

Welcome home! Just remember you will have to also learn prep work so you know you paint job will last . Read up on adhesion promoters and clear coats.
But main thing is you have your first goal set up so you're off to a good start already:D

Hi from Australia Regan,
It sounds like you've had a good intro to airbrushing by doing the class AND enjoyed it if you want to keep going
Starting out can be frustrating but we're all here to lend a hand if you need it.
What brush/paint are you currently using?

Welcome home! Just remember you will have to also learn prep work so you know you paint job will last . Read up on adhesion promoters and clear coats.
But main thing is you have your first goal set up so you're off to a good start already:D
Thanks for the tip and encouragement :)

Hi from Australia Regan,
It sounds like you've had a good intro to airbrushing by doing the class AND enjoyed it if you want to keep going
Starting out can be frustrating but we're all here to lend a hand if you need it.
What brush/paint are you currently using?
G'day, thanks! All my paints came from Mick's place, the Inspire H2O range. Everything I bought is water based to suit the helmet, and I got an Iwata Eclipse CS airbrush with an Iwata Studio Powerjet Pro compressor to run it.

Looks like you had a good start, and have got the bug! The hp-cs is a favourite of mine, so enjoy. Have a good nose around, and don't be shy at shouting out for help or advice, or posting pics as you go. Nothing but love and good advice here.

Another body for the madhouse ! Glad to have new faces around here so don't plan on just sitting back,Jump in with both feet as you've had a class in airbrushing you will be a pro in no time!:D and already have a one up on some of the newbies;)

I've seen Micks stuff on youtube...
Thanks for such a positive and encouraging welcome guys, and yeah, Mick certainly knows his craft, he's a top guy.

I maybe new to this board, but not to forums in general having been active on gaming, car and bike forums for yonks, so I'll certainly shout if I need help. I'll be spending a lot of time here and there soaking up as much as I can.

I've also invested in AI software for some design work which is pickling my brain enough. Feel like a student again but I'm confident I'm not biting off more than I can chew 'cos it's purely for my own satisfaction and enjoyment.

Glad to have found you. Cheers.

Welcome to the forum, Mick does some good classes and gives his all to teach everyone the art of airbrushing and now other mediums. Known him for quite a long time and had many a cuppa and biscuits with him. Top bloke and very talented. Everyone here is great and will help if you need any. Good luck with the bike helmet.

Lee

Welcome to the forum, Mick does some good classes and gives his all to teach everyone the art of airbrushing and now other mediums. Known him for quite a long time and had many a cuppa and biscuits with him. Top bloke and very talented. Everyone here is great and will help if you need any. Good luck with the bike helmet.

Lee
Thanks Lee, I concur on everything you said. Oh Mick sure loves a cuppa - one of few people I've met that can drink tea like I can!

I've been busy searching Pinterest and been surprised by the sheer talent and masses of helmets (mainly moto) that are out there. Good job I didn't search as much before buying the kit or I'd easily be put off! But this can only stand to inspire me more. Found pages from people like Iain Baldwin (LiquidColourDesign) and Jason Fowler (JLF Design), so I'm stocking up on ideas!

There's also Piers Dowell who paints helmets and the like http://www.piersdowell.com/

Did you take the course where you paint the eye or was it a different one?

I'm glad you aren't put off or we would never have any new airbrush artists. Everything is a bit over whelming at the start as you have probably experienced. But as you progress things get easier and before you know it you will be painting things you thought you never could. Plus you have tons of support and experience right here on the forum. There isn't much that we can't cover between us all.

Lee

There's also Piers Dowell who paints helmets and the like http://www.piersdowell.com/

Did you take the course where you paint the eye or was it a different one?

I'm glad you aren't put off or we would never have any new airbrush artists. Everything is a bit over whelming at the start as you have probably experienced. But as you progress things get easier and before you know it you will be painting things you thought you never could. Plus you have tons of support and experience right here on the forum. There isn't much that we can't cover between us all.

Lee
Sorry, been away from forum a few days, so thanks for the reply.

Not seen Piers's work, thanks for the link I'll take a look.

Didn't paint aneye, although I've seen photos of other people's work for that course element.

Hope to finally get onto painting a helmet next week when I've got a bit more time to focus. No doubt I'll post some questions with issues and cries for help! Cheers.

Back