For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

what are the odds

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Ronald art, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

back in 2005 my wife and I went to a dog shelter and a 1 year old dog picked us as his new owner he would only leave his bed when we came to his kennel to go back when we left and would not even lift his head for anyone else
    the dog was impounded due to neglect and had never walked on a leash or seen grass so I had my work cut out for me to prove he was the perfect working dog it took me a month to get him to walk on a leash without being all over the place and after 6 month he started to show signs he loved to work for me and I started to train him making use of his strongest side : passive protection and will to please and I transformed him from a "loose cannon" to a allround guide and helping dog , after my stroke I was not able to tell a tree from a human and even if he had turned blind he guided my to our favorite walking spot the off leash forest and he would make sure I would follow him by walking so close to my leg I could feel him
    sadly his blindness was followed by going deaf and it turned out to be caused by a brain tumor I had to do right by him and I took him to the vet to be put down so he would not suffer
    he was mix you hardly ever see in the Netherlands and I never expected to see one let alone come across one
    Jack.jpg
    but look what I found just 5 months old and real promising in his character, I am going to pick him up in 2 days time and I look forward to work with him like I did with the other I dont expect him to be as perfect as the big boy but I feel he wont let me down
    pup.JPG
    jord001, RichardH, basepaint and 10 others like this.
  2. Joe T

Joe T Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

What a wonderful story. They are great creatures and only aim to please us.
    jord001 likes this.
  3. Tocean

Tocean Needle-chuck Ninja

Beautiful looking dog:thumbsup:
    jord001 likes this.
  4. twood

twood Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I would be lost with out my girl Trixie.
    Great story and a very nice continuation...
    jord001 likes this.
  5. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel!

Oh cool! We had a foster dog that literally jumped in the car of some people at adoption day, and he refused to get out, so they ended up adopting him.
    jord001 and HellBird like this.
  6. Ronald art

I picked him up just 2 days ago and he is starting to get used to his new home
    jake.jpg
    jord001, RichardH, HellBird and 2 others like this.
  7. Jurien72

aww looks like you two are getting along great!
    jord001 likes this.
  8. Ronald art

it took him about a day to get used to my energy and for me to get used to his shy submissive character but he is starting to trust me and is my shadow my former dog with the same breeds combined had a out going dominant character and was 7 months older when I took him from the shelter but other than that he was like this boy he wanted someone to trust and work for just didnt know how to do just hat
    Jake ( the pup) shows all the signs of a perfect working dog in the making but I need to take it slow and steady and look at him as if he is 8 weeks old instead of 5 months and that tactic works like a charm with him as it did with the big boy :D
  9. Ronald art

for those who wonder what kind off mix both the old dog and this new boy is I can tell you his mother is a large American bulldog and his Father is a Doggo Argentino ( sorry I dont know the US name for this breed but is is also related to the bulldog family and used for wild boar hunting so both parents are working dogs
  10. Jurien72

What kind of "work" do you have in mind for him? We had a lab growing up that really thrived on having a job- usually revolving around fetching something. Dang dog could fish the newspaper out of the paperbox- Dad sure loved that on those cold winter mornings. On his daily walk he would redistribute all the pennysavers hung on nails on people's mailboxes- Sadly he wasn't very good with this job. Some people didn't get their paper! lol
    jord001 likes this.
  11. Ronald art

I have a few things in mind but it all depends on how he develops , right now he is a blank page and with 5 months way to young to see his strong or weak sides .
    But he will get the same training as my last one and that involved being social in every situation , listening to every command, and for the fun and relax side it involved using his "hunting skills" by letting him seek out hidden objects but only pick out the one that has my sent on it and ignoring all other objects and last but not least he was trained to guide/help and protect every person that was walking him
    the training of the last one took me about 18 months but he was 1 year old when I took him from the shelter and the first 6 months I walked him for 6 hours a day just to get the basic walking on a leash routine in and gain his absolute trust
    this 5 months old pup is very submissive and I dont expect to need that much time just to learn him the basic on leash walk
    jord001, RichardH and HellBird like this.
  12. Ronald art

one thing is for sure he loves all toys :)
    jake2.jpg
  13. HellBird

HellBird Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

lol And he's young enough he still needs a nap after playing!:D
    jord001 likes this.
  14. Ronald art

he sure is young and really needs all the naps he can get that is why I only take him once a day to the off leash forest to work on his social behavior and I treat him like a 8 week old pup and not like the 20 weeks he really is so short walks and gentle corrections if needed ;)
    jord001, HellBird and RichardH like this.
  15. Ronald art

my pup is growing fast and loves his off leash walks, due to the extreem hot weather we have not started his proper training yet but I have signed him up for the beginners training and we will start in a few days from now sorry no pic this time it is to big to upload and I dont want to crop it
    jord001 likes this.
  16. Ronald art

17. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Lovely looking dog Ronald. He will be a great companion and helper.

Lee
    Ronald art likes this.
  18. Ronald art

Thanks Lee and he is doing great for this age I look forward to start with his proper training and to find out what his strong points really are