what makes a micron a micron?

vince wenzell

Young Tutorling
Hi everyone! Checking in from Frostbite Falls Minnesota, where the current temp is -16 with sunshine. So what is it with a micron? Is it just a name, style, type of air brush? If it's needle size, would that make a .02 or any thing below in the same category? Just something that popped into my groggy brain at 3:00 AM. Thanks in advance for your reply! Vince Here is a little something I'm working on today.DSC03148.JPG

Hi there, name! Olympos had the micron then sold the design to Iwata. Smaller size needle, 0.23 or 0.18. So it's a brand related name more than anything else. They are beautiful items but somewhat stroppy at times. Scary saucer man!

Many airbrush companies make a micron. Something design to shoot at super low PSI and still deliver great lines.
Iwata I think has the highest atomizing of the paint out of all that are made but as far as detail I can get the same with the Badger Krome .23 , The H&S Infinity .15 set up mainly when buying a detail brush it is budget and your choice.
Being an airbrush addict (non meeting making member ) LOL I have all the ones above .

IMO Iwata micron build quality and atomisation is second to none. I prefer the .23 nozzle size because its a little less fussy for paint reduction and you can get the same level of detail. You can get the same level of detail with other brushes, but with the micron it is just more controllable, easier and so smooth to use. I lusted after one for a long time and was a bit worried I had built it up and would be disappointed when I finally got one - but I wasn't. Its the business, but soooo expensive.

I own just about everything short of an Iwata micron. I'm not an artist, I'm just a big kid with a coloring book! Ecxept I get to assemble the pages. If you want to see my true collection go to facebook and type in vince wenzell. The video is 4 year's old, but I've slowed up a bit with my OCD Vince

The man difference I notice with a micron is the air flow. The head of a micron is pressurized? I can hook up my air hose at the same psi and the micron is much quieter. Like less air is coming out. My Eclipse at 20 psi makes a noticeable hiss. At 20 psi my micron can hardly be heard. Which is confusing that it works better than other brushes at lower pressures. For example, my Eclipse doesn't do well at 5 psi haha. But my micron loves it...

definitely not just nozzle size. Like @Mr.Micron said, it atomizes paint better than most.

I own just about everything short of an Iwata micron. I'm not an artist, I'm just a big kid with a coloring book! Ecxept I get to assemble the pages. If you want to see my true collection go to facebook and type in vince wenzell. The video is 4 year's old, but I've slowed up a bit with my OCD Vince
I will have my wife pull it up for me due to I refuse to use facebook LOL

There are a few unique parts that make a micron a micron. The main one is the head unit design, which is designed to make the air pressure and flow uniform around the nozzle. Also, the nozzle should be centered in the air cap (Iwata and Olympos have "matched" heads, where the nozzle should be pretty close to dead center. Knock off brands typically aren't matched).
Like I said, there are other features, but the main one is the head unit design. In my opinion, nothing I've used works better. The Infinity is about as close as I've used, but I honestly hardly ever use my Infinity anymore.
The Olympos SP series are rumored to be better than a micron, but I haven't had a chance to try one out.

There are a few unique parts that make a micron a micron. The main one is the head unit design, which is designed to make the air pressure and flow uniform around the nozzle. Also, the nozzle should be centered in the air cap (Iwata and Olympos have "matched" heads, where the nozzle should be pretty close to dead center. Knock off brands typically aren't matched).
Like I said, there are other features, but the main one is the head unit design. In my opinion, nothing I've used works better. The Infinity is about as close as I've used, but I honestly hardly ever use my Infinity anymore.
The Olympos SP series are rumored to be better than a micron, but I haven't had a chance to try one out.
in fact, The micron is better than sp.

Back