For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

What practice has done for me

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by MeeshellMP, May 14, 2014.

1. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Mod

Hello fellow crazies!! I just thought, it would be neat, to show the newbies here, that at one time, we all were (and still are learning) new to this awesome hobby/business.

I was a stalker of the forum for about a year, and then the competition is what made me sign on as a member. The comp was a simple task, to take a photo chose by our one and only Mitchy, and make her our own, weather it was skulls, or portraits. I was soooo excited in this challenge, that I immediately got to work, and designed a painting, based on WW2. The prizes were awesome, and although, I did not win the big ones, we all took home some paint!!! In my eyes, I was already a winner, because, I grew from there.

So, with that being said, here is then,....and one from now!!

Competition Photo (600x800).jpg 20140411_141258 (640x480).jpg
  2. MeeshellMP

Oh, I should mention, ya wanna see something really hilarious? You should see my first attempt at flames lmfao!!

**Also, to thank everyone here, that has ever helped me, and given me advice, even if I didnt like the advice sometimes lol**

Love you guys!!!!!
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    jord001 likes this.
  3. matty171

matty171 Air-Valve Autobot!

Great post meeshell, i think one of the most frustrating things for newbs, well me anyway, is when i look at some of the work you guys have done and then look at my own work i feel like im never going to get good, comparing your self to someone who has been at it for years is not the way to go and can put your head away lol. I love this forum as its a world of info and also a world of friendly peeps but sometimes when i come on and see what other have done i get so frustrated at my own work and feel its a waste of time, but seeing a post like this helps to see that not everyone is a ready made artist and if you put the time in you'll get the results out. Again good post meeshell

Ride the storm
  4. Heliotropic

Heliotropic Needle-chuck Ninja

My sentiments exactly.
  5. grantmartin850

grantmartin850 Detail Decepticon!

I second what matty said and want to thank everybody on this forum. There is such a bredth of talent here and everybody is so generous with their time and knowledge. It is invaluable to us newbees (i'm sure for the ezperienced also - I just can't speak from that perspective)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    MeeshellMP likes this.
  6. CALz AyrWKz

CALz AyrWKz Moderator Mod

Yes, Mesh, you said it. Newbies must remember that we all had to start in the same place. Some progress faster than others, it true. But, we are all at different levels of abilities and each one of us are still learning new tricks all the time. Look at Haasje's beautiful work and just the other day, he said he learned a new trick. I personally love this forum because, in the two years I've been ABing I've learned so much from the peeps here that are ahead of me. Just remember we all started where you are now and we've all put in the time to get to our own respective levels. It doesn't happen overnight. At least not for most. Practice, practice and practice.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
    Kat Wolffpack likes this.
  7. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

Your right about where we all started i have one of the first fishing lures i ever painted with an airbrush and it look really bad compaired to what i paint now(fishing lures anyway!!) and even the tips and tricks i find on here make my lures look better and better and my arts coming along too lmao so thanks to everyone who post on the forum.
  8. haasje dutchairbrush

haasje dutchairbrush Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I find both pieces pretty good to be honest especialy layout and atmosphere wise... I recently found the first 3 thingies I produced with an airbrush (or better attempted to :witless:) and they pale in comparisson.

But I'd advise anybody staring out to save their first few works. If half a year later (if you have practiced ofc :)) you think your'e getting nowhere just fish them out of the closet and be surprised at the progress you made.

Progress wise I found the first year not so bad by the way. I knew I was still learning and with regular practice you notice yourself progressing. The more frustrating part for me was year 2 and 3 I think. I thought I had the control but just couldn't get it up to the level I could paint or draw. It was ofc down to practicing more but after the initial phase where you see rapid improvement it slows down to a snails pace. The nice thing is I (at least I think :)) am now better with an airbrush as I ever was with a pencil or brush. Practice will pay off, it just takes a <insert random abusive remark> time.
    aly-g, Kat Wolffpack and MeeshellMP like this.
  9. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

I remember that first one . it was your competition piece. to see how much you and a lot of others (like Cheryl) have grown over the past 2 years is awesome. I think everyone on here has grown from being here with such helpful folks to give us advice..
  10. MeeshellMP

This forum has been the greatest thing for me!! I have absorbed all the information, and am able to AB on any type of material, computer paper.....to plastic lol. And now look at me, yeah I can do that, sure, I can do that...oh lettering? Yeah baby, I can do that!!! Lol
    jord001 and kittykunfu like this.
  11. Diegojavbau

Diegojavbau Air-Valve Autobot!

Huge improvement !!!! congrats !!!
  12. ad fez

ad fez kind of a big deal = Admington

ive got my very first piece (the eye) on a board with all the paint pal pics ive recieved...... i will take a photo of it this evening maybe and get one posted up.... as you say its nice for folk to see just how you (and they) can progress if you put in a bit of time and effort.
    Kat Wolffpack and MeeshellMP like this.
  13. MeeshellMP

Well lets see em peeps!! Still have your first "real" piece?? Its fun to share!! Everybodys doing it these days lol!!
  14. ad fez

ad fez kind of a big deal = Admington

all the cool kids anyhow!
  15. Oddball

Oddball Detail Decepticon!

Here's my first completed piece.
    PICT0002.JPG

painted with AA through an ecplise HP-BCS at 50psi
    The masking and back masking took me ages and lots of head aches! this must have taken my 60 odd hours most of which were spent correcting my mistakes!
    Bodyworx, tortoise and kittykunfu like this.
  16. MeeshellMP

Very cool first piece!!
  17. grantmartin850

grantmartin850 Detail Decepticon!

Certainly started off good oddball

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
  18. airbrushtutor

airbrushtutor Love Spreading Overseer Admin

Incredible work Michelle! We're glad to have been a part of your journey :)
    MeeshellMP and Kat Wolffpack like this.
  19. Oddball

Oddball Detail Decepticon!

Thanks but if you look close you can easily see the misaligned masking and the "opps's" with the brush control.
    I'm not fishing for complements and as i say it took so many hours! the learning curve was like the north face of the Iger!
  20. MeeshellMP

Most importantly, ya learned :)