whats a verry good compressor .once and for all

airbrushingferret

Air-Valve Autobot!
after i get to florida i would like to once and for all get a decent compressor i was thinking of the ca airtools compressor but i am wondering if it could keep up with a gun used for clear coating as well i think they make a larger model but i want the thing to be quiet when i plug it in the first time and next year when i am still using it . i was thinking of also the largeer models of the iwate compressor but i am afraid itl be the same as what i have now only with an extra piston any suggestions .

I believe the 1hp compressor runs 60-70 db, the 2hp models are under 80db. Thats about as good as it gets.

A 6310 CAT compressor, 6.3 gal, 1hp, should for very short bursts run a touchup gun. Or if you had say a eclipseG6 or similar. Anything much larger really needs a larger compressor and a much larger tank.

Yes you can do it for small objects like controllers and helmets, a bike not so much, my 20gal compressor ran a lot painting my bike.

I would go with the CAT 1hp model in whatever tank size makes sense to you. Personally that would wither be the 3 gal or 4.6 gal. For me its a size thing. The 6.3 is a bit physically big for my space. But i al also looking at it as I could run a nail gun with it if I needed to .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is definitely the brand I am considering, if my home built silent ever dies, that and a sil-air if I can afford it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Find what detail spray gun you would like to use, and see what it's CFM requirements are. Then, double that, and look for a compressor rated for that. (if the mini-hvlp uses 4 cfm, get a compressor rated for at least 8 cfm. Or, at a minimum, 6 cfm).

The Asturo 878WB mini-gun is rated at 3 cfm, which is the lowest I remember seeing anywhere. I also like mine so much I passed on a SATA Minijet and bought a second one. The 1.2 tip works great for clear (the 1.0 works well, too, but works best if you over-reduce VERY slightly). Asturo Low Air Spray Gun

As far as compressors, I've had a 2hp, 5 gallon Harbor Freight twin tank that lasted me several years of airbrush and mini-gun duty, and is still kicking running nail guns for my brothers construction company. And, I've seen plenty of people who dropped a lot of extra money for a name brand only to have a ton of problems.

My general rules for buying compressors are
-get one bigger than what you think you'll ever need. At worst, you under-use the compressors capacity and extend the life of the compressor.
-stay far, far away from "oilless" compressors. They're loud as hell, run hot, pump a bunch of moisture into your lines, are inefficient, and don't last long with regular use.
-Buy American if possible. They tend to come with better warranties. With a cheaper, Chinese compressor, you might get one like my HF compressor that is indestructable, or you might get a POS out of the box.

Like most things in life, the more you can spend up front, the less likely you are to have issues later on.

so you recon the ca air tools compressor is not a good idea. I want something thats not going to break the bank and i dont want to buy something thats not going to hold up i can buy a home depot compresor eith a 20 gallon tank for clearing and large project during day light . Aand have a two banger iwata for painting portraits at night when mom is sleeping. i just dont want another aspire 910 its not good for some one who paints as much as me

so you recon the ca air tools compressor is not a good idea. I want something thats not going to break the bank and i dont want to buy something thats not going to hold up i can buy a home depot compresor eith a 20 gallon tank for clearing and large project during day light . Aand have a two banger iwata for painting portraits at night when mom is sleeping. i just dont want another aspire 910 its not good for some one who paints as much as me

Hi ferret, I was thinking on exactly the same lines as you on this situation. I think this could be the best situation for you, to have a big powerful compressor that you use for the bigger airguns/airbrushes which you use in the shed/garage in the day, although I'd still try and get a quieter one. Then for inside the house get an oil-filled Silent compressor that you can use as night and not disturb anyone's sleep and I mean really quiet like 30-40dB. Remember at night noise travels much further and sounds a lot louder because during the day there are other noises that drown out other sounds. So 60dB in the day will seem a lot quieter than it does at night.
Cheers Mel

I still think the CAT compressor is a good option for an Indoor unit, 1 hp 3-4.6 gal size, your choice. These will run an eclipse g6 or an HP-TH, but would not try it with an actual spray gun.

Totally agree a larger unit for larger spray jobs. I have a 20 gal in my garage. It's loud as hell, oil less compressor. It's over 20 years old and works like a champ. It's painted an old Ford truck with a conventional spray gun and my motorcycle with a 1.0 Kobalt HVLP touch up gun. Definitely works hard doing it. At least a 30 gal compressor for up running a spray gun would be nice, preferably a 60 gal with a oil lubricated compressor, that is my dream, just a bit big for my garage unless I rearrange a lot. Not really needed either at this time.

Like HCP was saying , look for low CFM use spray guns, I actually bought a Spray -it LVLP, it uses less CFM then my mini HVLP . The cheap spray guns out there are usually air pigs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i still like the idea f the ca air tool . for the most part i will just gbe dingsmall work like portraits and if i want t clear my lap top or trek bicycle i can use a small gun probably get by with the infinity and the .6 lol or just use the 2 part cans

Back