For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

What's this log thingy about!!!

Discussion in 'Captain Cordy's Log' started by Cordyk, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Cordyk

Cordyk Sheriff Woody (Admington) Admin

Let me ask you a question! Are you one of those many people who say “I just don't have enough spare time to paint”!
    Well it wasn't until it dawned on me after a little help from Mitch, that the only thing stopping me from picking up the airbrush was myself...yeah I get up at 6:30 in the week, go to work, get home about 6, have dinner with the family, sort a few jobs sit down with a cuppa, put TV on…done job! Sound familiar! Yep, you feel knackered, you have done a good days graft and you deserve to put your feet up!

We all have other lives out there and thats cool...but! If you really want to improve and grow as an artist then its up to you to put the work in or you can be someone who just wants to have a go now and again and not really improve, your choice!

So what the hell is this muppet going on about with his 'Captains Log' i hear you ask!
    Well its quite simple really, we are offering you a chance to put your new-found commitment to airbrushing up front for all to see...as i am, you will have your very own log(thread) where you begin with your own plan ie, how many hours a week you intend to honestly commit too, how many paintings you will complete each month and maybe even tell us what your goals may be?
    As you will see from my own log, each picture you post in it will be dated marking your progress(hopefully completing your monthly quota), these paintings are including any that you do for competitions, paintpals etc. Also the great thing about this is that you and anyone else will be able to see your progressing over the course of time, you will easily be able to look back at a years work and see your improvements. We plan to give you a helping hand when needed...
    We want you to use this and view it as your own little challenge and help you to push yourself to paint more, if you know the forum is expecting you to post a pic every month because thats what you told them...then that little bit of pressure should help.

I don't want you all to think of this as too serious, we are still all about having a good time along the way, but this is mainly aimed at beginners and people like myself who really want to improve but just need to get more disciplined with the little spare time you have. I have already started this myself and that airbrush is in my hands almost every night since, and i can tell you my confidence and control is returning and i just think about and plan the next thing to paint.

So what do you think people? who's ready to take the step with me and start pushing yourself to get painting, we all have busy lives but surely we can squeeze a few more hours in with that beloved airbrush:)

Kev
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
    airbrushtutor likes this.
  2. ad fez

ad fez kind of a big deal = Admington

As I was reading that. .... eye of the Tiger was playing in my head. ... ba ... ba ba ba... ba ba ba... ba ba baaaaah
  3. ad fez

Can we comment in each others logs....I just wanted to know if i could post your Leopard in my log seeing as thoughi had such an integral part in its creation
  4. shadow2462

shadow2462 Elite Member! Elite Member!

If we fail to follow through or at least make best effort do we get the proverbial "stink eye" / "tongue lashing" from teacher (TUT)? All joking aside, I think it is a good idea because in my case it is not so much a time constraint but more confidence or lack thereof. But hopefully with my latest painting the confidence will be slightly less of an issue. Trust me, if there were classes in my area that were affordable to me I would take every class I could. I will attempt to create a reasonably doable schedule and post. Oh BTW ...Cordyk good idea!
  5. Cordyk

Ha ha yes mate, people can comment and help and encourage as much as they like. My plan is to keep each picture posted in the opening thread of each participant so they can be viewed side by side and dated.
    You can still put your pics in the normal WIP thread as before, it will be a personal log for each person who commits but comments are welcome:)
  6. airbrushtutor

airbrushtutor Love Spreading Overseer Admin

Awesome!

I think this is an incredible idea!

The two killers;

'I don't have time'
    'I don't have money'

Alot of the time these people are the smokers and TV watchers. Airbrushtutor.com was built while i was working full time along with the forum..
    There are some who seriously don't have time due to family constraints, jobs etc, but as humans we each have the same amount of time. It's up to you to look at your own life and decide what your priorities are. How much time do you spend doing something productive in your life and how much time do you spend relaxing?
    In truth, sleep is the only relaxing we really need, it's great to take a break - but that 2 hrs of TV a night could be much more productive if you're creating something with our awesome little airbrush tools.

Of course i realise this is my opinion and that different people have extreme circumstances, but the majority of people are in the same 'no time, no money' category, yet all they need is to be shown the obvious way. It just depends how badly you want it and what effect you want your life to have on others!

spreading the love.

So this thread is for goal setting also i guess?

Set a realistic goal, a realistic time frame; check back and see if you've achieved your goal. Writing it and declaring it are the first steps to achieving what you want.
    Right Kev?
  7. ad fez

Smart targets:

Specific
    Measurable
    Attainable
    Realistic
    Timely
  8. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

I have the time if not the money, but tend to waste it messing about trying stuff out without always creating any art. Actually I think it's pretty important for me to mess about, and isn't really a waste of time, but it does sometimes stop me actually painting something. So this would be a good way for me to get some focus, and make sure I have something to show for my efforts. Good idea Kev!
  9. shadow2462

This is just my own opinion, but Squishy I don't feel your experimentation is a waste of time, experimenting/testing/trying new ways or techniques is all part of the process. That is what makes you /us better artists plus when doing these things your time is still spent on the art so therefor not wasted.
  10. Stevie G

Stevie G Gravity Guru

I read the start of this thread yesterday night and have been thinking about it all day long.
    I've finally decided that I'll go with this idea as I hope it will give me the impetus to get better at airbrushing.
    So, here goes ......
  11. Cordyk

Good on ya mate, we all need a little push now and again, you will find the more you try to organize your time for airbrushing the more pleasurable it will become. And we are not expecting you to produce a masterpiece every week, just to get that brush in your hands more often then everything will start to improve!
    Thanks for taking time mate:)

kev
  12. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

If you don't have time, it's a hobby. If you make time, it's a lifestyle.

I paint or just play for up to 2 hours a night. Saturday mornings are set a side for painting as if I actually went to art class. Sunday afternoons is painting time again. My wife understands as I made it clear that it is the only way I can get anywhere. At this stage I'm still hard on myself for not painting enough.
  13. MrDigBick

MrDigBick Moist and Milky Elite Member!

Ok boss. I have got to get practicing for the class coming up. This is a great idea.

cue the music!

[​IMG]
  14. airbrushingferret

airbrushingferret Air-Valve Autobot!

I think this is a great idea its not a time issue with me or a money issue infact i just got a full 200 dollar payment to do a 36 x 48 inch harvest moon painting frome the store i sell art work to and i am still un employed and i just sold a 16 x 20 buteerfly and a 16x20m dragon fly to my moms friend in fla and i have to ship them oot tomorow and i just got done blasting oot a 12x9 picture that was all free hand so i m not sure if i need to be pushed or motivated to paint lmao any way im relaxing to night i might try some free ghanding with the micron for a bit
  15. shadow2462

By the way Kev, congrats on your POM win......looked awesome!