For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

whats your wicked detail mix..

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by toammy, Mar 6, 2017.

1. toammy

toammy Spider Splatterer

just wondering what mix you guys are personally using with wicked detail black or what mix you have got on very well with and if there is any another paints i should maybe try.... im looking to achieve a transparent black that can build up in layers and try to save myself going far to dark to quickly.... i know everyone has there own way of painting but im just trying to experiment and see what works best for me.... any advice is very much appreciated and thanks for your time to read this :D

p. s. im currently using a mix of 1 part paint... to 2 part reducer... to 1 sometimes 2 parts transparent base {to try and control the paint a bit better and stop spidering by giving the paint more body but keep its transparency}
    LovesArt likes this.
  2. Ronald art

Ronald art Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I dont use wicked but if I want a "transparent" black I mix 1 part paint to 20 parts transparent base
    LovesArt and toammy like this.
  3. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Roald beat me too it. I don't always reduce detail paints depending on the colour, and what I'm doing, but yes to make black more transparent, just add more trans base. Its basically paint carrier without pigment, so the more you add the more dispersed the pigment gets, making it less intense, while keeping viscosity.
  4. toammy

toammy Spider Splatterer

yeah ive been playing around with reducer and transparent base.... i like the idea of only using the base though... never thought that would work... hey every day is a school day in this game! thanks guys i appreciate it :D
  5. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

Base is to make it transparent and reducer is to make it flow. Easily 1 paint to 5-10 base and then reducer to get it to move.
    toammy likes this.
  6. toammy

toammy Spider Splatterer

brilliant guys... i was thinking the reducer would effectively dilute the paint and make it transparent... i think this might be the cause of a few issues with spidering then haha
  7. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Mod

Oh yeah, reduce the paint more. I do it all the time
  8. JackEb

JackEb Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

I remember being very confused about the difference between reducer and trans base when I started, and did pretty much the same thing as you.... more reducer to give lighter colour...... it worked but the spiders were impressive and numerous.

Andre has summed it up nicely "Base is to make it transparent and reducer is to make it flow"
    The small bottle of transbase I originally bought seemed very thick compared to the paint so I once it was about 1/3rd empty I added some reducer to it. Then I read a tip from MusicMacD about premixing the trans and reducer so I've just kept on doing it. just saves a bit of time and I can reduce further if needed.
    toammy likes this.
  9. toammy

toammy Spider Splatterer

thanks jack... so if im premixing trans base and reducer wheres a kinda good place to start for a 0.2mm needle set up.. 2 thirds base and 1 third reducer? then mix that 10 parts to 1 part black detail paint? its interesting how you guys tend to start along the same kinda area i thought it would be a thousand different ways haha ... why cant they just make a bottle that does what you want.... life would be way more simple.... and im all about simple haha thanks again guys yous are THE bollocks!
  10. JackEb

JackEb Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

As Andre has stated, you just add the reducer to the point where the paint flows.
    Using Createx Illustration.... if I'm using black I tend to go very light, as you've put above, 10r:1p and build up the color on the paper with multiple passes. Its so easy to go to dark with the black. with colours im not so worried and probably go 10r; 2 or 3 paint depending on the colour.
    If its not flowing well, add a drop of reducer, backflush to mix, spray out a little, then test and adjust accordingly.
    the funny thing is I can get Createx illustration to flow straight from the bottle using the CM side feed, (.18) but have to reduce if using it in other brushes... haven't quite figured out why, but I just go with what flows on the day.

There are a lot of variables depending on where you live on the globe, Temperature & humidty can mess up the recipe from day to day, so you wind up constantly adjusting the 'recipe'
  11. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Just keep playing I reckon! So many variations and methods, I find sometimes that the paint flows better without reducer at all?? Go figure!!
    toammy likes this.
  12. toammy

toammy Spider Splatterer

i was finding the other night my paint flowed way better without reducer... i thought it was just a fluke hahaha... thanks for taking the time to help a brother of the paint out guys :D
    LovesArt and musicmacd like this.
  13. musicmacd

Glad it's just not me then!! Dru Blair doesn't reduce his paint either! He gets some alright results!!
    toammy likes this.
  14. toammy

toammy Spider Splatterer

haha if i can be 10‰ as good as dru blair i will be doing backflips ;)
    musicmacd likes this.
  15. musicmacd

I offered him a personal lesson the other day..... :)
    JackEb and toammy like this.
  16. toammy

toammy Spider Splatterer

haha was he a good student.... or my type... the paper plane maker... the student whos jotters were covered in doodles :D
    musicmacd likes this.
  17. musicmacd

No he was naughty
  18. toammy

toammy Spider Splatterer

we would get on famously sounds like hes my kinda guy
    LovesArt likes this.