When to use hardners?

D

D&D Designs

I'm shooting createx wicked colors and have been told to mix hardner in for better adhesion to the lexan bodies I paint. Does this sound right ?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I honestly am not sure about this as Its been many years since I painted lexan and i did it with paint designed for it but I would think an adhesion promoter would be more applicable than a hardener. The information you need may be available on createx's website though.

Wicked does not make a hardener , A hardener is used mainly on metal to give it more of a chip proofing finish.
On lexan if I understand the process you do a reverse paint job on the inside of the body which would only require a standard clear coat to protect it from dirt.
Being lexan is flexible you would not want a hardener on it more like a flex additive to allow the paint to move with the body .

Wicked does not make a hardener , A hardener is used mainly on metal to give it more of a chip proofing finish.
On lexan if I understand the process you do a reverse paint job on the inside of the body which would only require a standard clear coat to protect it from dirt.
Being lexan is flexible you would not want a hardener on it more like a flex additive to allow the paint to move with the body .
My thoughts are the same was considering a adhesion promoter like createx bloodline but am afraid of clouding my colors ad it would go on first.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Clear autoborne sealer sounds like a great route, but I've never tried it so don't take my word for it. I was just trying to give you a little direction until you get a better answer.
If you haven't already, someone will soon suggest you do an introduction post
Nevermind, you did

Last edited:
Coast Airbrush has had a couple live at 5 episodes on Lexan as well as alot of advice and maybe even a video on their website. They have a guy that teaches a class specifically for this at their airbrush get together.

Far as I know there are no other additives used outside the createx line.. like 4030, 4020, 4012, 4040

Coast Airbrush has had a couple live at 5 episodes on Lexan as well as alot of advice and maybe even a video on their website. They have a guy that teaches a class specifically for this at their airbrush get together.

Far as I know there are no other additives used outside the createx line.. like 4030, 4020, 4012, 4040
Don't need it.

This is only partially correct. Adding a flex additive does allow the finish to move to a degree but only for a short time. These additives were designed for automotive refinish work in order to make it easier for techs to reinstall refinished plastic body panels without damaging the new paint. The additive is added to the top coat clear or the paint if using single stage; however, it is finite. As the finish cures, the additive evaporates with other chemicals. Generally, a flex additive is only good for about 48 to 72 hours.

Back