When you accidently find the thing which was missing in noobs world for better motivation

That's a pleasure to know. I was gonna make some shirts with my logo for when I setup at art shows, local fairs, etc...was just gonna use the heat transfer vinyl since my wife is so good at that stuff, but maybe I'll give it a go with some paint first. How many coats of the trans base do you spray before paint? And do you heat set that first? If you don't mind me asking.. I've kinda set that aside and quit looming anything up about it

That's a pleasure to know. I was gonna make some shirts with my logo for when I setup at art shows, local fairs, etc...was just gonna use the heat transfer vinyl since my wife is so good at that stuff, but maybe I'll give it a go with some paint first. How many coats of the trans base do you spray before paint? And do you heat set that first? If you don't mind me asking.. I've kinda set that aside and quit looming anything up about it
the whole video which i posted is about preping a shirt. But you have heat press temp also,like I mentioned.

The coloring book suggestion has been around since the forum started back in 2012. Nobody expects anyone to do a million dots and daggers before they move to something else. They are merely a means to get your muscle memory working. Colouring in books can also teach you flow control, ‘keeping in the lines, controlling overspray (spraying towards the middle of the area.) learning blends, where shadows work/don’t work, how to keep some area light as a highlight. The benefit is that most kids colouring in books are printed on very absorbent paper so you won’t get those irritating spiders going on..

If you really want to challenge yourself then place a page from the colouring book into an unused picture frame or alternatively hit the 2nd hand shops or the dollar stores for a cheapy. You then spray direct onto the glass. When your happy take a photo, grab a single edge razor blade, scrape it all off, wipe it down with windex and you’re ready for your next masterpiece. This method will teach you total pressure/reduction control.... to high a PSI = spiders, to much reduction = spiders.... both methods will teach you different skills that you can combine.

As for textiles you will generally need a .35 Airbrush, paint that works with textiles, sealer to base coat the fabric, a compressor that can provide 60psi at the airbrush when you press the trigger. And a way of heatsetting once you are done....

If you really want to challenge yourself then place a page from the colouring book into an unused picture frame or alternatively hit the 2nd hand shops or the dollar stores for a cheapy. You then spray direct onto the glass. When your happy take a photo, grab a single edge razor blade, scrape it all off, wipe it down with windex and you’re ready for your next masterpiece. This method will teach you total pressure/reduction control.... to high a PSI = spiders, to much reduction = spiders.... both methods will teach you different skills that you can combine.

And my first project on glass can be this picture -.-
i_am_a_masochist___anti_smoking_by_audenistic-d4rzxar.jpg

depending on the shirt colour itself, i will use trans based mostly only on black shirt, and heat it. for fresh shirt, normal ironing is barely enough before shooting the trans based on, and 2 layers of trans should be enough for me,. there is a good tutorial vid by kent from coast airbrush on utube for preping the shirt.

Sent from Knockoff i-Fone [emoji14]

Why didn't I found this sooner... Each tutorial I watched or bought there was plenty of talking about dagger strokes and the usually stuff which beginner needs to learn. I was patience and I was doing bloody dagger strokes which are boring as hell. I almost rolled with my eyes when I was walking to my easel preparing my self to have another dagger stroke practise.
Stencil works is easy, so I will not waste your time. You make a stencil, you spray and you are done. But without stencils is a different thing :D Bloody dagger strokes, dots and blends. I made so many of those , that I went one day to store and bought 500sheets of a3 paper so I will have enough for practising those. And they are booooooring...
So few days ago I was browsing this forum and looking at topics and all the knowledge forum members are willingly sharing about all stuff in airbrush world. And by accident I found post from Robbyrockett2 where he mentioned using color books for practise. I was thinking about that and went and print cars 3 picture, I put 30% grey and went to practise. Damn that was quite fun! And it was first, more like test. The next day I made the same with Dead pool and had a blast with it. I enjoyed practise, even if I had hard time with it. But I enjoy it. And today I am going to do spiderman! :D

This is so much fun. I really had enough of those dagger bloody strokes and I enjoy doing color books. So bottom line, thanks Robbyrocket for best advice, which was not meant to me. But still, this is probably the best advice for noobs and their motivation.

Here is a picture of my ugly dead pool, I know it is bad, I am realistic, but I enjoyed while I was doing it. It so ugly ,that I was thinking not to post it, but what the hell. If some noob see how ugly is, maybe he will feel better with his work :D The next dead pool will be better :p
View attachment 52295

Flick on Flick off keep the air flowing..... Thank you for sharing... Will definitely try it too. Let the body move with the arms, keep the distance, watch the trigger action, watch the speed, and and and, so much to remember when one just starts. Airbrushtutor for me till now have the best advise, from shapes and lines, dots and dagger strokes reversed dagger exercises, I still think the most important thing is firstly to believe in yourself. Confidence is the key. To focus on one small section of a bigger picture, to imitate the reference over and over again and then only to put them all together, results speak for itself. Focus on the shapes, I dont know yet which I will be using, is it a dot, or a blended dot, is it a line, soft or rough, etc etc, so I try them all. I take a page divide into 8 blocks and trace the same part of a picture in all 8 blocks and try different movements until I figure out which set of movements to use when.... This helps me more than trying to use my airbrush as a coloring pencil... But I have to admit I will try the coloring book exercise, it might just work for me too.

Flick on Flick off keep the air flowing..... Thank you for sharing... Will definitely try it too. Let the body move with the arms, keep the distance, watch the trigger action, watch the speed, and and and, so much to remember when one just starts. Airbrushtutor for me till now have the best advise, from shapes and lines, dots and dagger strokes reversed dagger exercises, I still think the most important thing is firstly to believe in yourself. Confidence is the key. To focus on one small section of a bigger picture, to imitate the reference over and over again and then only to put them all together, results speak for itself. Focus on the shapes, I dont know yet which I will be using, is it a dot, or a blended dot, is it a line, soft or rough, etc etc, so I try them all. I take a page divide into 8 blocks and trace the same part of a picture in all 8 blocks and try different movements until I figure out which set of movements to use when.... This helps me more than trying to use my airbrush as a coloring pencil... But I have to admit I will try the coloring book exercise, it might just work for me too.
This is my next exercise. Already printed in 30% grey and waiting on my easel for this evening :) There will be lots of dagger strokes -.-
drawn-spiderman-coloring-book-11.jpg

Damn, this is so much fun lol

View attachment 52301 I print in 30% grey, so I don't use so much ink and I can see better my results. Lines on printed paper are visible, but not to much.
a few words to share, "double actioning" thats what ab tutor said. i figured it out how i need my muscle memory for it when im stuck with tip dry issues and turn out to be i didnt do well on "double actioning", never leave it.

a few words to share, "double actioning" thats what ab tutor said. i figured it out how i need my muscle memory for it when im stuck with tip dry issues and turn out to be i didnt do well on "double actioning", never leave it.

It's like re-training the brain... before I try a dot or a line I have a practice round on my scrap paper mimicking the procedure or steps... air in, soft trigger movement, flick on flick off, distance, slow/fast, paint off, air stays on... again and again until I get them action right, but the minute I copy the procedure, I know there is finer detail that is perfect, then come the fear, what if I pull the trigger to far back? I need to trust myself more and confidence that I can execute with precision....

Muscle memory in training still....

It's like re-training the brain... before I try a dot or a line I have a practice round on my scrap paper mimicking the procedure or steps... air in, soft trigger movement, flick on flick off, distance, slow/fast, paint off, air stays on... again and again until I get them action right, but the minute I copy the procedure, I know there is finer detail that is perfect, then come the fear, what if I pull the trigger to far back? I need to trust myself more and confidence that I can execute with precision....

Muscle memory in training still....
muscle memory is just a never ending practice imo.

Agreed, there are still times I go into ‘aerosol can’ action!
you just come up with the precise term! gosh, i cant hardly figure it out when it comes to explaining the opposite of ab control. lol..
Beeing out of focus and on "aerosol can" mode is a proof that muscle memory is still not there yet for me

I made outlines of my spiderman. My practise. Was practising lines. I noticed few problems. And when I am doing, feels like when I push air I would be better if spring would be softer... -.-

I enjoy doing this color books. I put some good music and rock on! :D

edit: deleted first picture, it was from yesterday. Need to pay more attention -.-

WP_20180206_002.jpg WP_20180206_003.jpg

Last edited:
You will be a master before you know it.... looking good, your lines make a lot more sense than mine lol lol.... mine looks like someone that had an external gas explosion in sections lol.....

I would like to paint this spidy. I have wicked opaques and I would like to make them trasparent. I do have transparent base at home. Right now I am mixing: 1 drop paint 4 drops reducer. How much trans base I need to add so I get transparent color? I was thinking transparent is better, cause I can shoot over the lines and I will not destroy them? -.- Does this sound weird?

Back